Sam Brown's Story on The Fifth Estate

Jan. 7, 2010, 9:53 a.m.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/drug+kingpin+revealed+informant+marked+death/2407549/story.html

More to the story…
This is what I thought all along: He stays in jail for all his life or he ratts others out and gets a lesser sentence. The problem with ratting people out is that there will be someone waiting for him after he gets out. Just like the article explain of this guy.

All the articles label Brown as being a soft an kind person which could make jail really hard for him and worth taking his life. In addition, he had a need for adventure/adrenaline and being cooped up in a cell wouldn't be the best.

- Dobie

Jan. 7, 2010, 10:09 a.m.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/drug+kingpin+revealed+informant+marked+death/2407549/story.html

More to the story…
This is what I thought all along: He stays in jail for all his life or he ratts others out and gets a lesser sentence. The problem with ratting people out is that there will be someone waiting for him after he gets out. All the articles label Brown as being a soft an kind person which could make jail really hard for him and worth taking his life.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime. Shit I knew that mantra by the time
I was five. Honestly, he could have been out in 5 years…no priors, etc. I feel for
his family and friends, but killing yourself because you got caught was…?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 7, 2010, 11:07 a.m.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. ….I feel for
his family and friends, but killing yourself because you got caught was…?

fixed. :) and :beer:

I cannot understand a statement that says that 5 years are too much for an adventurous (spelling?) and at the same time soft and kind character as Sam has been described.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 21, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

May I direct you to this thread? It highlights why smugglers are just
aggrieved people and it's not their fault.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=149571[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=rosa+parks

July 21, 2012, 12:06 p.m.

You're right. State broadcasting should only be used to tell us what economic prosperity will be brought to us by the oil companies and messages from dear leader.

July 21, 2012, 12:14 p.m.

But who votes for those leaders? And continues to vote for them? And, how many people that
want that change are willing to affect it by doing something? To do something illegal, get
caught and then cry that it's just not fair is BS. I don't agree with the law, but I don't
go around breaking it and when/if I do (speeding for instance) I understand I may have
to pay.

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time.

July 21, 2012, 12:20 p.m.

My comment was directed at the idea that taxpayer money shouldn't have been spent on the story. While I am opposed to pot prohibition, I don't think cross border smuggling is the solution.

As far as who voted for them…39 percent of those Canadians who actually voted.

July 21, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

May I direct you to this thread? It highlights why smugglers are just aggrieved people and it's not their fault.

wait aren't you american and sail boats in/out of sooke.
how do you know so much about smuggling?
?_?

July 21, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

wait aren't you american and sail boats in/out of sooke.
how do you know so much about smuggling?
?_?

I'm not smuggling, I'm just a bad fisherman.

July 21, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

:deadhorse:

go away

July 23, 2012, 5:43 p.m.

i remember this story. so very sad…

when someone is smuggling like this and moving so much product its just not worth it ever. no amount of money is worth it to take that risk.
sure he could maybe just do a few years in jail and get out but theres alot more too it than that…
sam didnt seem like the kind of person to be organizing and running something like this on his own.

this is what i think happened.
obviously someone came to him promissing him a large amount of money for "just flying" dope to the usa.
when you get busted doing stuff like this, someone that owned the drugs just lost a HUGE amount of money.
alot of the time before the person is even released from jail they are contacted by someone about it.
sad to say it but that lose is put onto that person alot of the time. they end up being threatend or being told their family will be hurt if they dont pay back that money.
i think thats the reason what happened, happened…. sitting there thinking about it alone in the cell must have been just horrible….
theres just no way for someone or their family to pay up the money for that 200 pounds of drugs.
its really upsetting he took his life… i cant even imagine how he felt.

rip sam. best wishes to his friends and family!

superheros
I like bikes

Nov. 14, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

A quick update on this story.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/11/07/colin-martin-may-learn-his-sentence-today-for-massive-grow-op/

Colin Martin was sentenced to 2 years for basically running a multi-million dollar smuggling ring. He was the guy who owned the choppers, etc.

Still fighting his extradition to the U.S. on drug charges, Colin Martin has pleaded guilty to production of marijuana for the purposes of trafficking in Canada.

And he was sentenced Friday to two years in prison for the sophisticated pot operation he ran in Malakwa.

Federal Crown Sharon Steele wanted him sentenced to five years on the Canadian charges, with no credit for the time he has served after being arrested on an extradition warrant.

His lawyer requested a term of time served, despite the fact he was in custody after being arrested on an extradition warrant.

Martin has been a controversial figure for years (and used to comment on the Real Scoop on occasion.)

While out on bail in an earlier drug case, he set up the sophisticated grow-op on his Malakwa property, near Sicamous.

At the time, police said they found 3,000 pot plants in a sophisticated underground bunker on a property on Northway Road.

Mountie Chris Newel said in July 2010 that the grow-up was hidden under a 7,000 square foot workshop and that the growing room was accessible only through a steel door raised with a hydraulic cylinder.

“This steel door was part of an elaborate electrical system, which was utilized to camouflage the actual entry. Steel platforms sitting about six inches off the floor contained eight `add a phase’ electrical motors,” Newel said .”When a switch was activated one of the steel platforms and five of the motors lifted up, revealing the entry. Add a phase motors are used to convert single phase electricity to three phase and are usually only found in industrial applications.“

On the U.S. indictment Martin is charged with conspiring to import large amounts of marijuana and ecstasy into the U.S. and smuggle cocaine back into Canada using helicopters.

The U.S. says Martin headed the drug gang and sent helicopters he leased for his company, Gorge Timber, full of drugs to remote landing sites in Washington and Idaho. They are alleged to have smuggled back into B.C. as much as 300 kilos a week of cocaine.

One of the B.C. pilots caught in the U.S., Sam Brown, hanged himself in a Spokane jail after being arrested in February 2009. He was flying a helicopter leased by Martin’s company.

And another pilot caught in the case, Jeremy Daniel Snow, was shot to death in Kelowna last year. He earlier pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 46 months in jail, but allowed to transfer to a Canadian prison in 2011

Dec. 7, 2014, 9:40 a.m.

It's possible he would be a free man right now.

I would never rule out foul play in regards to anything that happens behind those walls.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Dec. 7, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

anybody have a mirror to the original documentary?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 10, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

i just realized that Sam Brown was Casey Brown's brother, never made that connection before

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40