Sam Brown - R.I.P.

March 5, 2009, 10:50 a.m.

From the day I first met same in 99 at the Kootenay Fat Tire Fest, he's held a special place in our lives. Done a lot for riding communities in our area, and was a great friend to all of us. Thanks Cam for the very thoughtful words.

Sam, your life has touched us all, you will be remembered as one who pushed the sport and touched our lives.

- Kinrade

March 5, 2009, 10:56 a.m.

,this is not even bike related thats what disturbs me the most.

That's what disturbs you most? A 24 year dies in jail cell after flying a helicopter (with a dried plant inside) across a border at the government's request and what bothers you most is that it's 'not even bike related.' I think your outrage meter might need an adjustment.

How is it not bike related when someone with a prominent role in a mountain bike movie dies in very tragic circumstances?

I too am incredibly disturbed by this but for completely different reasons. That's what compelled me to write the article - not because it was a slow news day.

March 5, 2009, 11:04 a.m.

On a brighter note Sams clip in disorder 3 was one of my favs to this day and he had a killer sound track to his sequence.I feel sad that at the way his life ended and perhaps i was a little harsh at you folks at nsmb. Lets focus on the good in Sams life before he went off the path of good and be thankful that he touched the sport in the way he did,and to his family my condolences

March 5, 2009, 11:08 a.m.

On a brighter note Sams clip in disorder 3 was one of my favs to this day and he had a killer sound track to his sequence.I feel sad that at the way his life ended and perhaps i was a little harsh at you folks at nsmb. Lets focus on the good in Sams life before he went off the path of good and be thankful that he touched the sport in the way he did,and to his family my condolences

date joined march 2009… sure it is…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

March 5, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

That's what disturbs you most? A 24 year dies in jail cell after flying a helicopter (with a dried plant inside) across a border at the government's request and what bothers you most is that it's 'not even bike related.' I think your outrage meter might need an adjustment.

How is it not bike related when someone with a prominent role in a mountain bike movie dies in very tragic circumstances?

I too am incredibly disturbed by this but for completely different reasons. That's what compelled me to write the article - not because it was a slow news day.

Cam, while i can see your point about it being at the governments request and all that, if this was just some unknown random drug dealer many of us would be like yeah, well done, another one off the street. I'm not going to start an argument about whether it should be legalized or not, thats a whole other issue. Its just a shame someone who obviously had a fair bit of talent on a bike got mixed up in it all in the first place and however it all panned out over the last few days, the guys life has come to a premature end.

March 5, 2009, 11:16 a.m.

I think Cam's message is that this tragedy is a victimization brought on by DEA pigs and their industry of the war on drugs. I can't imagine what it must have been like sitting in that cell knowing you would likely be going down for life because some cross border Gestapo brigade entrapped you. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

March 5, 2009, 11:17 a.m.

ps, unless you know something different the government didn't kill him, they just stopped him offloading 350lbs of drugs.

March 5, 2009, 11:21 a.m.

I think Cam's message is that this tragedy is a victimization brought on by DEA pigs and their industry of the war on drugs. I can't imagine what it must have been like sitting in that cell knowing you would likely be going down for life because some cross border Gestapo brigade entrapped you. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Disagree. He is not a victim of the war on drugs, or of the DEA.

He made a choice to smuggle drugs into the US. I would guess he was aware of the potential consequences with this choice.

He's a victim of a series of poor choices, but they were his choices.

March 5, 2009, 11:21 a.m.

This story is fucked up,and Sam rest in peace!But lets get to the real issue here this is not bike related,sure the guy was in a video and was a good ripper but lets face facts. Sam smuggling drugs and hanging himself is really not a way he should be remembered and dont you guys have anything better to write about ,get a grip yo! You should be ashamed that this guys family should have to see this on nsmb,and have their son remembered this way. Hey everyone remember that kid in disorder 3 hes a fuck up and he killed himself,seriously pissed off at this ,you guys suck

You should get a 'grip' yo.

March 5, 2009, 11:23 a.m.

in my eyes they are responsible for his death…

March 5, 2009, 11:29 a.m.

Disagree. He is not a victim of the war on drugs, or of the DEA.

He made a choice to smuggle drugs into the US. I would guess he was aware of the potential consequences with this choice.

He's a victim of a series of poor choices, but they were his choices.

We do know those facts (but not the whole story) and based on the way the DEA handled the Mark Embry situation I'm not so sure he isn't a victim of entrapment in an industry based on the number of busts that are made, not a resolution to the problem.

March 5, 2009, 11:35 a.m.

From the day I first met same in 99 at the Kootenay Fat Tire Fest, he's held a special place in our lives. Done a lot for riding communities in our area, and was a great friend to all of us. Thanks Cam for the very thoughtful words.

Sam, your life has touched us all, you will be remembered as one who pushed the sport and touched our lives.

- Kinrade

Thank you, Mike. That was a proper tribute to a fallen rider, regardless of the reasons behind why he fell.

Shame on the others of you that felt the need to turn parts of this thread into a debate about morals and legality. No class, and I'm more that a little disgusted…

"If at first you don't succeed, it will definitely leave a mark!!"

facebook.com/robholio

I wish people would stop whining about braking bumps, they happen and thats why there is full suspension, man up ya posers…

sliding downhill is like sex or pizza …even the bad stuff is pretty good

March 5, 2009, 11:52 a.m.

By chance meeting, Sam shuttled a friend and myself to a trailhead in Nelson just before NWD III was released. Sam was a kind, genuine, impassioned rider. Our Brief encounter was met with gracious character from someone who will be missed by the entire biking community.

Sincere condolences to friends and family.

March 5, 2009, 11:58 a.m.

Cam, while i can see your point about it being at the governments request and all that, if this was just some unknown random drug dealer many of us would be like yeah, well done, another one off the street.

Boy are you out of touch. How is it back in the 50s?

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

March 5, 2009, 12:13 p.m.

I totally appreciate Cam's commentary. I don't think that he is trying to say that Sam was innocent or a victim. This just puts a face to the stories we hear/read all too often. RIP Sam. No one knows what's been going on since your segment ten years ago, but it's a drag all the same.

RIde. Eat. Repeat.