Romancing the EVO: Caving to Inevitability

May 25, 2012, 12:53 a.m.

While Seb Kemp was administering our multi-rider double Stumpjumper test project, his own curiosity eventually won over and he took the Evo 29er for a ride… and then he couldn't stop.

Read his thoughts here, with shots of Paul Stevens smashing the big wheel...

flickr

May 25, 2012, 7:26 a.m.

After checking one of these out in person I was hopeful but a bit skeptical about the fork and gear. Seb you confirmed my thoughts eloquently. The Evo 29er is a step in the right direction but until the components catch up I'll sit back and watch. Great article. Can't wait to see the comparison with the 26" version.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 25, 2012, 9:38 a.m.

Having Specialized Stumpy [HTML_REMOVED] Epic 29er's in my quil, I carefully planned my 2012 EVO 29er specs. 1x10, Havoc carbon 750mm bar, Roval Control Carbon SL Trail 29er wheels, Fox 34 Talas. Now this bike has the correct parts spec at 27lbs of silky smooth rip snort'n excellence! Carbon frame would have dropped another .75 lbs, but so far the aluminum frame seems stiff enough.

May 25, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

How 'bout a Tall Boy vs. Evo 29r head-to-head, mano-a-mano style?

May 25, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

sounds about right. my tallboy ended up morphing into a fairly burly little bike with strong wheels, big rubber, and fox 34, and an angleset in an effort to do justice to the capability of the frame.

ended up with stumpy evo 26, no regrets at all, though it similarly required higher air pressure and a firmer shock tune to get the rear end to behave while climbing. also, the stock fork is garbage (fox 32 RL). hate to say it, but i suspect the argument will be settled in the end with a dedicated 650b design.

May 25, 2012, noon

Great article Seb. Your metaphors are fantastic!

May 25, 2012, 12:06 p.m.

hate to say it, but i suspect the argument will be settled in the end with a dedicated 650b design.

Interesting to hear you say this. I have little interest in a 29er, probably because I'm stubborn, but the idea of a 650B has me curious. Some of the benefits with less of the hangups sounds like the best compromise. If DH bikes end up performing well with 650B I would be more likely to make the switch. I finally have a DH bike and an AM bike that are so close in handling and feel that switching bikes is seamless (carbon V10 and a raked out carbon nomad with coils and push link, same width bars and same brakes), and that's a thing of beauty that I won't give up easily. V10 650B? Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

May 25, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

A buddy of mine just bought the Stumpy EVO 29r. I only did one ride with him, but it really seemed to fly on a trail like 7th and the rest. He was totally flying on the new bike.

I did a quick little 30 second test on the fire road and overall the bike felt comfortable, however, I too was thinking the shock and wheels were not up to the challenge. Then again I ride a Fox 36 on my XC/AM bike.

My friend is only about 140-145lbs so I don't think the shock or wheels will be an issue for him. Me at 190+gear, I don't think I would feel confident pushing either. Really got me thinking though, with an upgraded fork and stiffer wheels that are still reasonably light, I would be having a tough call on not drinking the 29r cool-aid.

May 25, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

what are the "Roval" wheels on the test bike? As these straight pull?

I am running the hardtail version of this bike (2012 Stumpy Evo 29er HT) and have found the wheels just about right to resist my abusive riding style and 170lb weight

my bike has "Roval Traversee" rims which are 490gm, nice and wide, with eyelets, running on Specialized sealed bearing hubs with the DT Swiss 10mm front skewer compatible hub and 135mm x 10mm rear

I rebuilt the stock wheels with Sapim D/B spokes and brass nipples, as the stock setup with DT Swiss plain gauge and alloy nips could not be trued after 2 months of ownership

carefully raised the spoke tension using a Spokey and Park spoke tension gauge, and the bike is transformed with a much "punchier" wheelset that feels 'alive' whereas the factory built lacing felt 'dead'

shame the Specialized rear hub has now crapped itself with some rumbling going on…but I was wanting to put a Hope Pro II EVO hub in the rear so its all good really ;)

May 25, 2012, 2:27 p.m.

It's all about 650bitch.

These hybrid clown bikes don't even win World Cup XC races anymore. They're great if you're 6'+ and gates if you're not.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 25, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

It's all about 650bitch.
These hybrid clown bikes don't even win World Cup XC races anymore. They're great if you're 6'+ and gates if you're not.

It's ironic that 29ers are touted as ideal for taller riders. But I'm 6'6" 220+ and I wouldn't go near that fork and probably the wheels too, even though I like the 29er concept. At the end of the day 29er gear is designed and built with a 170lb XC rider in mind and all claims for taller riders go out the window unless you ride dirt roads for fun.

In Vancouver I'll continue riding my Enduro while I sit back and see what happens with 650b.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 25, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

After the first ride on the Surface today I almost gave my bike away to the first unsuspecting tree hugging hippy I saw.

Then I remembered I spent the entire ride grinning from ear to ear, and I had left the Range at home!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 25, 2012, 5:17 p.m.

It's ironic that 29ers are touted as ideal for taller riders. But I'm 6'6" 220+ and I wouldn't go near that fork and probably the wheels too, even though I like the 29er concept. At the end of the day 29er gear is designed and built with a 170lb XC rider in mind and all claims for taller riders go out the window unless you ride dirt roads for fun.

You'd be fine riding California trails or average XC trails (what they were designed for) but yeah, it'd probably noodle to destruction under you on da Shore.

Jack shit wrong with an Enduro anyway.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 29, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

I've had my EVO 29r for about a month so I thought I would add my .02 cents worth. I'm 6' 2" and about 200 lbs, I've dropped 10 pounds since I got this bike cause I'm riding it so much. Been riding on the Shore since the late 80's. I had a 06 Enduro Expert before the 29r. I love this bike for the riding I do. My favorite trail on the shore is C Buster I ride it at least 3 times a week. It's pretty much just up the road from my house. The EVO handles it no problem. I can't come into things quite as hot going downhill as I could on the Enduro but it climbs way better and floats along Bridle Path. I put a Chromag saddle and bar on it with a 60 mm stem, the stem it came with was way too long. I have had no trouble with the seat post. I just torqued the single bolt holding the saddle to the recommended 120 inch pounds and it hasn't moved. Once I got the RS Revelation set up it's worked very well. I'm running about 15 lbs more air in it then I did in my Talus on the Enduro. I was overdue for a new bike and was gonna buy a Carbon Enduro cause the last one was so good but got talked into giving the 29R a try. I happy with my decission so far. For me the Stumpy EVO 29R is a wicked all mountain ride.

May 30, 2012, 8:59 p.m.

After the first ride on the Surface today I almost gave my bike away to the first unsuspecting tree hugging hippy I saw.

Then I remembered I spent the entire ride grinning from ear to ear, and I had left the Range at home!

What?

diggin