Rider Dies on Cypress

May 8, 2012, 7:06 p.m.

Very very sad to hear, my condolences, thoughts and best wishes for his family.

May 8, 2012, 11:25 p.m.

I was deeply saddened to read about this in The Province this morning. May the memories the family [HTML_REMOVED] friends hold dear with this rider give them strength [HTML_REMOVED] courage to get through this tragedy.

May 9, 2012, 12:44 p.m.

To lose a life in our sport is very rare and his loss, so close to home, has effected the entire community. Heart felt condolences to his friends and family. Ride on bro.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

May 9, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

Very sad. My heart goes out to his family and children especially.

I always hate hearing the ambulance siren in my neighborhood during the summer months-it usually means someone got hurt on Seymour. Be careful out there.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 9, 2012, 2:35 p.m.

A little more info.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/West+Vancouver+mountain+bike+victim+very+experienced/6594141/story.html

At least the 'no-helmet' thing is put to rest.

May 9, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

So sad. Anyone know if he was a member here? I would almost think so.

Wrong. Always.

May 9, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

My heart also goes out to his family and friends and especially his children. I gave my 4 year old daughter an extra big hug after hearing the story. This really hits close to home as I am the same age (still don't know if I knew him). Having been involved with first aid for over 15 years at work and with riding I can only imagine what the other rider(s) had to go through if there was nothing they could do. My thoughts go out to those that were there and had to go through this. I believe every mountain biker should have some form of first aid training and carry the bare minimum of supplies but it sounds like in this case no amount of first aid could have helped.

May 9, 2012, 6:37 p.m.

I think the point being made is to be careful, and that even an easy trail can become dangerous very quickly.

I spiked my leg on a tree on an xc ride about a month ago, and if I would have hit an artery it could have been very scary. It was a deep enough wound, and a random situation. I was lucky. Plain and simple.

If I have read correctly this rider died of blood loss?

I also saved a guys life in Oregon once after he nicked his femoral artery…..yikes.

Needless to say, it is worth it ride with a basic first aid kit, and also to have even an 8 hr FA certification.

Godspeed and may all the trails in the sky be loam.

I punctured my leg JRA last September. My friend and I rushed down the trail where I luckily had a first aid kit in my truck. Wasn't life threatening but it sure helped stop the excessive bleeding. Not an injury I would ever expect to get. There is always a certain level of danger in what we do and sometimes that danger rears its ugly head. Condolences to the family and friends.

Shed head!

May 9, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

To his family and friends my sympathies,the community has suffered a loss! if anything this has brought everyone together,if you are at all like me,i was texting and phoning friends to make sure they were not the fallen,and people were calling me,that made me feel good to know people care about me!

May 9, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

My condolences to all those affected. It's a sad day and I feel terrible for his family and friends.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

May 9, 2012, 10:07 p.m.

More information about the tragedy on Monday.

An update from the WVPD, May 9th, 2012

May 9, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

we really dont think how risky riding is sometimes

May 9, 2012, 11:43 p.m.

RIP brother, my condolences go out to Family and Friends!

May 10, 2012, 7:16 a.m.

very sad news, best wishes to his family and friends

I can understand this situation of his accident, as a visitor to the NS (and an experienced rider) the thing that really scared me about riding the NS trails was the "exposure" to hazards like steep elevation and sharp branches / spikes in deadfall under the elevated trails, and the close proximity of trees and rocks to the stunts on the trail

easy to see how a simple rider mistake on the NS could have serious consequences, compared to elevated timber trails at bike parks in the UK where everything within 2 metres either side of the trail was flattened, cleared and lined with woodchip, and crashmats on trees or timber framework

May 10, 2012, 8:25 a.m.

Such a sad story.

:(