Rider Dies on Cypress

May 8, 2012, 8:07 a.m.

Condolences to all involved especially his family and friends. I'll be thinking of you while out riding today.

May 8, 2012, 8:20 a.m.

Condolences to the family and friends.

May 8, 2012, 8:52 a.m.

Very sad news.

It's a shame that the article photos both talk about how "easy" the trail is. What exactly is the point are you making with those comments?

May 8, 2012, 9:03 a.m.

I think the point being made is to be careful, and that even an easy trail can become dangerous very quickly.

I spiked my leg on a tree on an xc ride about a month ago, and if I would have hit an artery it could have been very scary. It was a deep enough wound, and a random situation. I was lucky. Plain and simple.

If I have read correctly this rider died of blood loss?

I also saved a guys life in Oregon once after he nicked his femoral artery…..yikes.

Needless to say, it is worth it ride with a basic first aid kit, and also to have even an 8 hr FA certification.

Godspeed and may all the trails in the sky be loam.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

May 8, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

Very sad news.

It's a shame that the article photos both talk about how "easy" the trail is. What exactly is the point are you making with those comments?

don't read so much into it and make an issue out of it. Just a statement of fact.

Condolences to the rider's family and friends, regardless of our love for the sport, no one wants to die doing it.

May 8, 2012, 9:28 a.m.

Very sad news.

I did not use the word easy at all, nor did I imply that Coiler is an easy trail.

Our visitors come from all over the world. Many would not be familiar with Cypress and certainly not with a specific trail. Part of our responsibility as journalists is to provide information that is relevant to a particular story, to help readers understand the situation. When an fatality occurs on a ski hill the terrain is described because it is relevant, just as it is here. I am not making a point, I am describing the terrain. I hope that clears this up for you.

May 8, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

Condolences to the rider's family and friends

May 8, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

That is so sad and tragic.

This is very sobering for me because my buddy and I were actually on Cypress riding yesterday; we saw the medivac helicopter at the second lookout. We had an incredible day. It is a paradox of our sport that it can bring so much enjoyment, but can also be very, very dangerous.

Our condolences to the rider's family

Ride safe everyone

May 8, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

Many of the articals mention "it's not yet known if he was wearing a helmet when he crashed."

I see no purpose for this sentence. Mountain bikers in general consistently use safety equipment, and writing like that is only going to confuse the public [HTML_REMOVED] make them believe otherwise ):

As I said in the other thread, a tragic accident. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Bicycles!

May 8, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

Let's all be safe out there.
Ride in Peace.

RIde. Eat. Repeat.

May 8, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

So very sad and tragic. RIP.

May 8, 2012, 2:37 p.m.

this is so sad that i was literally at a loss of words to even express myself. i cannot even begin to imagine what his friends and family are going through and i will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

sideshow brought up a very good point and one that sounds so simple yet i/we often overlook….ride with a first aid kit.

May 8, 2012, 2:48 p.m.

Felt a true sadness when I heard this on the radio this morning.

Condolences to the rider's family [HTML_REMOVED] family.

I have no filter …

May 8, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

I knew the man who died, though we're still not certain if his family has been notified.

He was very experienced, and I am certain he was wearing a helmet. I'd be fucking shocked if he wasn't.

This is an absolutely tragic situation and I wanted to thank everyone for your condolences.

We did indeed lose a brother, as well as a friend and a father.

May 8, 2012, 3:59 p.m.

and a father.

an awful situation is worse!! That is horrible for the family.

Condolences.