Reviewed - 2011 Avid Code Brakes

April 12, 2011, 1:25 p.m.

I have the 2011 Code R stoppers… They have the reach adjust, which works fine even with muddy gloves on. Theyre 4 piston as well, and they bring my 250lb ass to a dead stop with one finger all day long. Oh, and they were $200 a side…

The new codes look sweet, but I recommend the Code Rs as a cheaper alternative, and all u give up is the contact adjustment

Bryce and Squampton Bomber; The Code Rs do look like nice alternatives. I did see those when I wrote the review. The Code R uses what looks to be very similar to an Elixir lever with the oval hole and plastic bushings. What I REALLY like about the 2011 Code is the sealed bearing lever pivot. Regardless awesome to hear the 2011 Code R is also working well.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

April 12, 2011, 2:22 p.m.

I'm pretty sure there's a picture floating around somewhere of The Hoff using said conical brush while in bed with Kevin Tafts.

Just sayin'.

Eeeeewww.

I hear KT doesn't fuck around.

April 12, 2011, 4:39 p.m.

is it just me or do the new codes look a lot like the current elixirs - which have already been updated to deal with a common and known issue with the taperbore? maybe the internals are different, but i don't see the angled bleed port on the reviewed model, though the r's seem to have them…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 12, 2011, 4:48 p.m.

sweet timing on this review… i just mounted some new codes to my DH bike. i'd been using elixir CRs for 2 years before and never had the old codes. my $.02:
- new 203mm/8" rotor is solid around the bolts and 20g heavier and appears much more resistant to bending
- going from elixir CR 8/8 setup to new codes with 8/7 rotors added a whopping 40g to my bike
- lever feel is awesome. the elimination of lever slop is immediately noticeable. i think this is due to the sealed bearing lever pivot vs. the bushing setup on the elixirs.
- regarding setup, i move the reach adjustment as close to the bar/grips as possible and then use the pad contact to tune modulation (more for the front) without the lever hitting the bar. i also believe that having anything more than a few mm of dead lever travel doesn't make any sense but to each his own.
- glad i'm not the only one who bleeds avids immediately albeit these feel pretty good out of the box.

more riding time needed to compare with elixirs…

April 12, 2011, 5:26 p.m.

Bryce and Squampton Bomber; The Code Rs do look like nice alternatives. I did see those when I wrote the review. The Code R uses what looks to be very similar to an Elixir lever with the oval hole and plastic bushings. What I REALLY like about the 2011 Code is the sealed bearing lever pivot. Regardless awesome to hear the 2011 Code R is also working well.

Agreed, that sealed bearing pivot is a sweet feature. I have only had my code rs for about 3 months, and the lever is still nice and tight…We will see how they fare.. nice review, keep em coming

April 13, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

Hoff I'll show you that Avid's contact point adjuster is actually just a dead stroke adjuster. Essentially I minimize the dead stroke and run the lever as close to the bar as possible, leaving maybe 1/4" of safety factor between the lever and bar when the pads hit the rotor. On the 2011 Code I can have the Contact Point Adjust fully "Out", and have the lever blade hit the bars before the pads engage, by using the Reach Adjuster alone. By what you're saying, and you move the Contact Point Adjuster "In", you actually have to move the Reach Adjuster "Out" to keep the same pad contact point relative to the bar.

As for bike cleaning. I just use a good quality conical hub and spoke brush with a hose:

Haha. Don't be so defensive. I'm not disagreeing with you. This time… ;)

May 28, 2011, 10:18 p.m.

Thats exactly how I like them, however after storage for a month or two I always have to mess with them to get it that feeling back. Super short reach zero deadplay instant hard grippy brakes is how I like them. Hope the 2011's codes can deliver because right now my juicies reach the handle bar and my front wheel still isn't close to locking up so I'm gonna have to mess around with them again.

I'd have to take the caliper off the rotor and press the brake lever then force the caliper back on to get rid of deadplay.

I'd def upgrade to the 2011 codes if it meant I wouldn't have to keep messing around with my adjustments.

Not sure if the newer Avid brakes are the same but the contact point thingy on old Juicy's also affected modulation. More free throw at the lever meant power came on more gradually. When I had them set all dope with super-short throw, the front one chucked me over the bars on a steep rolldown on the first ride :lol: The power ramped up way too quick

I believe the Code R only has reach adjust (ie the knob on the lever). Thats the one I'm gonna try this year.

solid review!

Will trade Hope 4 piston 8 inch Manitou adapter for marz adaptor.

July 13, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

My experience with the 2011 Codes has been less than stellar, not bled properly or even close, from factory, one day in the bike park and front caliper is leaking and now off to Norco for warranty and the rear lever is hitting the bar again after 2nd ride.
And speaking of Norco it's going to be a 2 week turn around to fix, after spending 600 on a new set of brakes I would have thought they should have simply replaced it asap. I've had a crash warranty frame from back east in under a weak (thanks Lama Cycles), a 2 week turn around on a new purchase seems a bit long. Rant over.

July 13, 2011, 3:30 p.m.

My experience with the 2011 Codes has been less than stellar, not bled properly or even close, from factory, one day in the bike park and front caliper is leaking and now off to Norco for warranty and the rear lever is hitting the bar again after 2nd ride.
And speaking of Norco it's going to be a 2 week turn around to fix, after spending 600 on a new set of brakes I would have thought they should have simply replaced it asap. I've had a crash warranty frame from back east in under a weak (thanks Lama Cycles), a 2 week turn around on a new purchase seems a bit long. Rant over.

crappy that you got a crappy set of brakes but norco's warranty dept doesn't really deserve much flak for this because, as much as you'd like to believe, there isn't a 'dck' queue for incoming goods - you have to wait in line like everybody else.

if the brakes are as new as you state, you should be asking the place you purchased them from to a) replace them outright or b) set you up with loaners until your set returns from norco.

"It's, like, so much fun."

July 13, 2011, 5:51 p.m.

crappy that you got a crappy set of brakes but norco's warranty dept doesn't really deserve much flak for this because, as much as you'd like to believe, there isn't a 'dck' queue for incoming goods - you have to wait in line like everybody else.

if the brakes are as new as you state, you should be asking the place you purchased them from to a) replace them outright or b) set you up with loaners until your set returns from norco.

I realize there isn't a 'dck' queue, but literally installed Friday, Sunday they were done, the shop I purchased them from is relatively small [HTML_REMOVED] doesn't stock them so couldn't replace them, (they have given me a loaner juicy 3, which I appreciate and it actually feels better than the rear new code). However Norco does stock them and I think should step up to the plate and say ok we just shipped these to you last week, there's an issue and we'll replace them, not here's the rga number and we'll fix them when we get to them in line, best case scenario is maybe by the end of next week. When I spend $600 on a new brake set I a) expect it to work for more than 1 day, b) if there's a problem it should be dealt with by the manufacture/distributor immediately. I don't think it's unreasonable stance to take, and I've had much better customer service from other distributors when there's been an issue.

Aug. 9, 2011, 10:58 a.m.

I've been noticing that my 2011 Code levers are pumping or extending away from the bar/grip during use.

I thought that this pretty much only happened if the brake fluid overheated. They are new, and no, I don't brake too much. I had Juicy 7's on my FR bike previously, and this didn't occur. Suggestions?