REVIEW: 2011 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70

Sept. 13, 2010, 7:53 a.m.

I spent the last three months ripping it up on Rocky Mountain's newly redesigned Slayer all-mountain bike. There were some very good things about the bike, but there were also a few things that didn't sit right.

Read the full review to see what fell into each category.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

Sept. 13, 2010, 8:38 a.m.

As always, great review Stuart!!

The RM folks don't recommend running a Coil shock on this bike since it relies heavily on Propedal for climbing efficiency and that with a coil it would be too active (e.g. would bob). I know the test bike's RP23 had issues with the propedal setting, but did you find yourself wanting more platform?

Was the shock constant on longer descents? No heating up issues?

thanks!

PinkBike::e.thirteen

Sept. 13, 2010, 8:41 a.m.

Well written thorough review. Very nice.

www.FVMBA.com

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:24 a.m.

Routing cables under the BB is problematic. On my ride, one cable goes there - the front derailleur cable. The front derailleur fails every time I ride in the rain. Having more cables go there means more problems. I wish they would give these bikes to a mechanic at the end of the design process for a final filtering through common sense.

www.northshorebillet.com

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:35 a.m.

Routing cables under the BB is problematic. On my ride, one cable goes there - the front derailleur cable. The front derailleur fails every time I ride in the rain. Having more cables go there means more problems. I wish they would give these bikes to a mechanic at the end of the design process for a final filtering through common sense.

I think that the problem with your cable performance in the rain has more than just the routing. Both of my bikes run the front derailleur cable under the BB, and on my one bike, it's been fine in four and a half years of riding. As long as the rear D runs full cable, then it really shouldn't make a difference if it runs under the bike or not. My one bike has everything under the downtube, and it's caused no issues other than attracting a little more dirt.

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:59 a.m.

very thorough review!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:17 a.m.

Excellent review.

Sept. 13, 2010, 2:57 p.m.

Great review Stuart, well written.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Sept. 13, 2010, 3:13 p.m.

This is the kind of honest and in-depth review that I wish existed for more bikes, to help potential buyers evaluate different steeds. From one tall rider to another, I share your desire for longer top tubes. I'm sure a shorter cockpit is desirable on the descent, but when you spend 75% of the ride going up you may as well be comfortable.

Sept. 13, 2010, 7:54 p.m.

good review.
that bb height sounds good to me, but its just a matter of preference.
i hate short bikes too, but you could always go a size up. its such a long wheelbase already though.

formula "one" brakes are light and powerful, but do lack modulation compared to elixir's (for example). also, the levers are indeed a long reach away. even dialed all the way in, i had to bend my blades in a vice to bring them closer.

Sept. 13, 2010, 8:05 p.m.

Nice work Stu. Great review.

I love my 2011 Slayer. The BB height wasn't or isn't really an issue for me. The Slayer kills it on any terrain!

Sept. 13, 2010, 8:20 p.m.

[QUOTE=e-did's;2420643]Nice work Stu. Great review.

I love my 2011 Slayer. The BB height wasn't or isn't really an issue for me. The Slayer kills it on any terrain!

You are running a coil aren't you Eamonn. What's your feeling about that? (note - Eamonn rides for us and is sponsored by RMB)

Sept. 14, 2010, 6:29 a.m.

You are running a coil aren't you Eamonn. What's your feeling about that? (note - Eamonn rides for us and is sponsored by RMB)

Thanks homie!

PinkBike::e.thirteen

Sept. 14, 2010, 6:45 a.m.

Thank you Stuart - indeed a very good review!

But I have a view questions left:
- how tall are you to find the XL more on the small side?
- What do you think about using the Slayer in a bikepark a few times a year?

Sept. 14, 2010, 9:11 a.m.

Thanks for the props, everyone. Really appreciate it. All of us at nsmb put a lot of time and effort into our reviews, and it's very cool to hear that it's useful for you.

Questions…

More platform - no, I didn't really feel like it needed more. It would have been nice to feel a more distinct difference between the settings, so hopefully that will be better on the production version.

Shock heating up - no, didn't notice that or reduced performance on downhills.

The BB height thing - yes, clarklewis, it is personal personal preference. It wasn't stunningly low, just lower than I'm used to and probably lower than I would like. I hit roots and rocks on my regular XC loop that I don't on my personal bike (Giant Reign).

My height - firevsh2o, I'm 6' 4" with about a 35" inseam. I run the saddle at ~85cm from the center of the BB.

Using the Slayer in the bike park a couple of times a year - Sure, why not. You'll want to change the rubber, but other than that, you should be fine. Your rims will likely take a beating, though.

refresh - If I was designing this bike for tall riders, I'd make the horizontal top tube at least 25", the seat tube at least 21" and raise the BB by 1/2". The current size is all right, depending on your body type, but I'd throw a leg over one to double check.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert