REVIEW: 2011 Marin Attack Trail 6.9

Aug. 15, 2011, 10:51 p.m.

Dan Austin takes the Marin Attack Trail 6.9 for a spin in the Okanagan. There was some good, some less than stellar and a surprise at the end. Find out what he had to say here.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

Aug. 16, 2011, 6:52 a.m.

Sounds like a nice bike!

But why the grumbles about the shock? Do people actually adjust the pro-pedal settings on their RP23's regularly?

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Aug. 16, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

But why the grumbles about the shock? Do people actually adjust the pro-pedal settings on their RP23's regularly?

Its a great bike, I love it. You have a good point regarding the shock. Its more about options and spec for me. I have a certain expectation from bikes that retail at close to $5k. I'm sure that the RP2 and RP23 are not too far apart price-wise to the manufacturers so for me its not a 'why' thing but more of a 'why not?'

I did my best to really show that I love this bike, but I did have a couple grumbles…and really, that's all they were - nit picky grumbles.

Aug. 16, 2011, 8:49 a.m.

the bike would also be better spec'd with Minion EXO's over the Ardents. The Minions have superior grib and flatten way less.

:canada:

Aug. 16, 2011, 10:50 a.m.

Any hints as to what the 2012 update will look like? The crazy rear end is my absolute least favourite part of the current Marins.

flickr

Aug. 16, 2011, 10:55 a.m.

Any hints as to what the 2012 update will look like? The crazy rear end is my absolute least favourite part of the current Marins.

funny you should ask…this just landed in my inbox..
http://www.bicyclesmile.com/news/marin-bikes-turns-25-and-the-2012-launch/

Also here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/08/marin-2012-quad-link-3-bouncy-29ers-and-more/

Aug. 16, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

funny you should ask…this just landed in my inbox..
http://www.bicyclesmile.com/news/marin-bikes-turns-25-and-the-2012-launch/

Also here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/08/marin-2012-quad-link-3-bouncy-29ers-and-more/

Looks like a Trek :P
Seriously, I'm with Morgan, the old rear end was distinctive and cool looking, the new one looks like everything else.

Aug. 16, 2011, 11:21 a.m.

Looks like a Trek :P
Seriously, I'm with Morgan, the old rear end was distinctive and cool looking, the new one looks like everything else.

even joking….my blood boils….

as for the change in rear end….I am with both of you. the Quad link 2.0 was one of the features I liked most about this bike…now it looks like a Giant for sure…oh yes, and a Trek ;)

Aug. 16, 2011, 1:13 p.m.

The problem with these Marin's is that they are so damn ugly - especially the Quake series. I was shocked to read that this bike rode well - which just goes to prove I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Still, I'd never be caught dead on one due to how fugly they are.

I think the change is a blessing aesthetically.

Aug. 16, 2011, 1:19 p.m.

The problem with these Marin's is that they are so damn ugly - especially the Quake series. I was shocked to read that this bike rode well - which just goes to prove I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

For certain. you are for sure not the only one who is not a fan of the look of the Marin's. For what its worth (despite upcoming changes) this bike rode amazingly well. As my review suggested, I was impressed each time I went out on it because it really did ride that well. So don't judge a book by its cover for sure - at least in this case.

Aug. 16, 2011, 1:36 p.m.

Some people really like the unique look, so it swings both ways.

Aug. 16, 2011, 1:37 p.m.

agreed

Can Marin duplicate the axle path with a design that looks more conventional and would it ride the same ?

"" The 2012 bikes will see a pivot system that visually looks more like that of Giant, but that uses different geometries to create a slightly different Virtual Pivot Point.""

Aug. 16, 2011, 1:43 p.m.

agreed

Can Marin duplicate the axle path with a design that looks more conventional and would it ride the same ?

That is a great question, the axle path was/is the secret to the Quad Link 2.0's success. Have a look at this link

judging by the geometry of the links as they are in the photos, it seems it would be hard to get the wheel to move in a rearward direction at all, let alone for the first 1/3rd of the travel.

If we do a 2012 Marin test, I'll be sure to include axle path comparison (if available)

Aug. 16, 2011, 8:49 p.m.

for what climb do you need an easier gear than 26x34?

Aug. 16, 2011, 9 p.m.

for what climb do you need an easier gear than 26x34?

Long ones.

I did 7 summits on this bike and the first 1h40minutes was an endless climb that worked me. Any lighter gearing would have been welcomed.

On a more typical trail, the gearing was O.K., but would have been nice to have that uber low gear for the extended climbs.

I am not a super fit, super svelte rider, or super light, so for those of us that happen to be a little challenged in those ways, lower gears are always welcome.