Recovery with Dr. Seb: The Not-Very-Haynes Manual to Injuries

Sept. 13, 2012, 11:24 p.m.

Based on his 4 Kings overall win this weekend, you might be surprised to hear Seb Kemp suffered a Lisfranc injury just four months previous.

Following Jeff Bryson's inspirational piece on mental conditioning earlier this week, Seb's condensed his recovery plan into a concise and interesting read.

Recover with Dr. Seb here...

flickr

Sept. 14, 2012, 7:27 a.m.

That was a great read.
The last paragraph about goals and priorities was dead on.

Well done Seb and nsmb.

Sept. 14, 2012, 7:30 a.m.

Great article Seb. Mental state cannot be understated, if you don't think you can do it, then you can't! Positive thinking, listening to the experts (but challenging them) and keeping your mind (and body) active within your limits is essential. I know I've surprised myself with what can be done when I should be out for the count.

Sept. 14, 2012, 8:07 a.m.

you want inspiration? How about a guy that can get up in front of a crowd of 200 ladies about to ride Charlies Angels and speak an inspiring womyn-centric poem? He hobbled up Blackcomb on his road bike that has mtb bars IIRC.

Well done Seb, hope to see you back building soon!

(yeah, I've been holding onto this one for a while now)

Sept. 14, 2012, 8:16 a.m.

Serendipitous timing on this article. Thanks for the glimpse into your recovery. Busted up my shoulder and ribs a couple weeks ago - and am impatiently pursuing all means for a speedy recovery. As a self employed contractor(with medical and sort term disability insurance fortunately) the other component I've dealt with is the "should I really still be doing this when my livelihood depends on my healthy physical condition?"…

Thanks for the article. I am continually impressed with the quality content on NSMB.

Sept. 14, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

Great article!

Sept. 14, 2012, 9:28 a.m.

Truer words have not been said. My own experience with blown and repaired ACL's is similar. Not nearly as catastrophic though. I recall vividly going to see the orthopedic surgeon at about 4 or 5 months post surgery. He told me I was good to go more or less but to not do anything that might twist the knee. He then mentioned that most of the folks in the waiting room had had their ACL's repaired way before me yet most still had limps and canes and whatnot. I had Carl Peterson as my physio and he was awesome. Attitude is very important as is a good physio and hard work. I looked at recovery as an athletic challenge and I focused on improvements. I did have setbacks too but they were minor. The hardest part is to continue the rehab work when you seem able to do most anything but in reality are not quite there.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 14, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

Great read. Congrats on your victory - you earned it!

RIde. Eat. Repeat.

Sept. 14, 2012, 10:29 a.m.

First things first - congratulations on winning the 4 Kings overall. Achieving this only shows two things, among others, you were thorough in your approach and you had a strong base and experience in riding bikes. Awesome.

The article was an interesting and refreshing read for me.

I had to get stitched up on the front side of the left shin, right beside the muscle that moves the foot up. That was on monday the week before.

I got my stitches removed yesterday, and was told that I have to take it easy for at least two weeks before I can really go riding again.

Personally, I consider myself a restless person, and your read hit the nail on the head. I have a hard time not being angry at myself, but try and see the time for recovery as a chance to bounce back from four weeks of absolute misery.

Right now, I go for easy, sea-wall-like walks. Do not stand that long and try and listen to my body by giving it the rest and sleep it needs.

Guess I take it easy for another two weeks, with some easy upper body conditioning thrown, and enjoy the company of my wife and my little son.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 14, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

Having worn these shoes in the past Seb speaks the truth.

If you find yourself on the outside looking in at someone you know that has to face these same truths, stop for 5 minutes and give them a call. Not a text or a Facebook message. Everyone's life is busy and we tend to forget those that are injured in our haste to get out and ride.

Call them and chat, ask how they are doing and if there is anything that can be done help. They will be greatful for it.

Congrats Seb! Super glad you are back on the bike!

Cheers!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 14, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

Awesome read, thanks Seb. It really is amazing and inspirational what you have achieved this summer. You definitely helped me recover from my injury, and put it into perspective. I hope other people can take your advice and benefit from it too. Thanks buddy!

Sept. 14, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

A lot of good advice in there! You sum up everything I have heard about injury recovery so well. Thanks for including the importance of good nutrition in healing …

"Let Food Be Thy Medicine, And Medicine Be Thy Food" - Hippocrates

I have no filter …

Sept. 14, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

Great words of wisdom seb!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 14, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

Coincidentally I find posting at nsmb helps my recovery from several brain injuries.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 14, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

Great article… being fit both physically and mentally goes a long way to both preventing injury and speeding recovery. I am a huge advocate of the mind-body connection and its abilities in regards to human performance.