Readers' Rides #3 - Dean Wilkes' Banshee Legend

May 1, 2009, 1:01 a.m.

Without Dean's cool write up on the board Readers' Rides may have never been born.

Thanks Dean!

Here's what Dean has to say about his relationship with Banshee and his beloved Legend Mk. 1

May 1, 2009, 7:30 a.m.

Nice write up! Methinks someone needs a hope/stans wheelset. ;)

May 1, 2009, 8:32 a.m.

Is that bar tape?

May 1, 2009, 8:47 a.m.

Without Dean's cool write up on the board Readers' Rides may have never been born.

Thanks Dean!

Here's what Dean has to say about his relationship with Banshee and his beloved Legend Mk. 1

Thank you Cam and I appreciate your patience for the submission.

Is that bar tape?

Yes it is. I have small hands and after speaking with an XC guy about thin grips, he suggested road bar tape to me for grips. It allows you to get the perfect grip thickness, is super grippy, doesn't rotate and for the weight weenies it's ~39g for both sides.

I did it for the function initially so the other benefits are simply a bonus.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

May 1, 2009, 8:58 a.m.

Is that bar tape?

Im thinking the same.

Ridemonkey Forums turning into the new Pinkbike?

May 1, 2009, 9 a.m.

Sweet read Dean.

Should also mention that Dean is the father of the now annual Light DH bike threads which are some of the most actively participated in threads on the board. Weight-weenie I salute you!

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

May 1, 2009, 9:07 a.m.

nice Dean, I never get tired of looking at that bike

May 1, 2009, 9:15 a.m.

Thanks boys.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

May 1, 2009, 10:16 a.m.

Hey,
I actually have legend waiting for me at my house (i'm off at school at the moment) and was stoked to see all the positive feedback! I'm setting mine up with a DHX 5.0 and was wondering if you had any setup tips for me? I'm a pretty small rider (140-145lbs) but I ride at Diablo Freeride Park which is mostly rocky as hell so I like my suspension a little on the stiff side. Any and all feedback is appreciated!! Is there anything else I should know about the frame? How often should I anticipate having to change those bushings (the dirt's pretty dry and sandy most of the summer out east….)

May 1, 2009, 10:48 a.m.

Curious to see how the bushings will hold up over time. I have yet to hear of a bushing doing well in our climate.

I think Devinci abandoned the idea on the Wilson as they seemed to have some problems with them.

Banshee seems to be becoming a player in the boutique market.

May 1, 2009, 10:57 a.m.

Yes it is. I have small hands and after speaking with an XC guy about thin grips, he suggested road bar tape to me for grips. It allows you to get the perfect grip thickness, is super grippy, doesn't rotate and for the weight weenies it's ~39g for both sides.

I did it for the function initially so the other benefits are simply a bonus.

ILLEGAL!!

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 1, 2009, 11:01 a.m.

ILLEGAL!!

so are skinsuits

May 1, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

Hey Dean. Is it really a 63 degree head angle. If so that's crazy slack! I really like these bikes. Similar to my Cove Shocker, but I would consider the MK1 as a new frame, just not sure I would like anything slacker than 65 degree head angle.
Nice review too, and the spec is dialed!

Sunshine & Slippery Trails

May 1, 2009, 11:16 a.m.

Looks ALOT like Tyler's new Turner.

May 1, 2009, 11:18 a.m.

Hey,
I actually have legend waiting for me at my house (i'm off at school at the moment) and was stoked to see all the positive feedback! I'm setting mine up with a DHX 5.0 and was wondering if you had any setup tips for me? I'm a pretty small rider (140-145lbs) but I ride at Diablo Freeride Park which is mostly rocky as hell so I like my suspension a little on the stiff side. Any and all feedback is appreciated!! Is there anything else I should know about the frame? How often should I anticipate having to change those bushings (the dirt's pretty dry and sandy most of the summer out east….)

I have only ridden my Legend with a Cane Creek Double Barrel which is a great shock, but requires time an patience to set up properly.

With a DHX the set-up should be quite simple. Get the correct spring to give you the proper sag and them make the necessary adjustments.

As far as the frame details, make sure all the zerk set screws are in place and the covers are in place over them as well. Also make sure the pivots on the frame aren't too tight. They should move freely with no wiggle. Once the pivots are adjusted, install the shock.

PM me with any specific questions you might have.

Curious to see how the bushings will hold up over time. I have yet to hear of a bushing doing well in our climate.

I think Devinci abandoned the idea on the Wilson as they seemed to have some problems with them.

Banshee seems to be becoming a player in the boutique market.

I am a believer in the bushing design that Banshee uses. I have a Banshee Rune that uses the same bushing design as the Legend. Because of the tight tolerances, the size and the integration of the bushings, the Banshees have very few issues. The flex that Devinci encountered is non existent on the Banshees.

I rode my Rune hard for a whole year in every conceivable type of weather and only after a year did I need to replace a few of the bushings. The replacement was simple and very inexpensive @ $2.00 a bushing. After the tune up the bike was as tight as ever.

So far with the Legend, I have not needed to replace any bushings at all.

Hey Dean. Is it really a 63 degree head angle. If so that's crazy slack! I really like these bikes. Similar to my Cove Shocker, but I would consider the MK1 as a new frame, just not sure I would like anything slacker than 65 degree head angle.
Nice review too, and the spec is dialed!

I measured the head angle with my Fox 40 forks on the bike and read 63 degrees but you can adjust the angle of the bike by moving the forks up or down in the stanchions. I bet if you measure the angle of your bike it is slacker than you think. 63 or 64 degrees is typical on a DH bike and is a dream to ride down hill at speed.

Looks ALOT like Tyler's new Turner.

There are a lot of bikes that look similar nowadays, but if you look on the Banshee Blog website, you will notice that the design of the Legend has been public for almost 2 years

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-