Readers' Rides #3 - Dean Wilkes' Banshee Legend

May 1, 2009, 11:30 a.m.

Yes it is. I have small hands and after speaking with an XC guy about thin grips, he suggested road bar tape to me for grips. It allows you to get the perfect grip thickness, is super grippy, doesn't rotate and for the weight weenies it's ~39g for both sides.

I did it for the function initially so the other benefits are simply a bonus.

Hey Dean, do you find the tape to absorb less shock than rubber grips, or no difference at all? I've been thinking about doing the bar tape thing for quite some time.

Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 1, 2009, 11:32 a.m.

Hey Dean, do you find the tape to absorb less shock than rubber grips, or no difference at all? I've been thinking about doing the bar tape thing for quite some time.

Thanks.

So have I, not because I have small hands but because I like thin grips. I figure that the 8" of travel absorbs the shock, not the 1/8" of rubber on the grips

May 1, 2009, 11:40 a.m.

So have I, not because I have small hands but because I like thin grips. I figure that the 8" of travel absorbs the shock, not the 1/8" of rubber on the grips

Also, it is a heck of a lot easier to rewrap bar tape, than mess around with removing rubber grips. (Not counting if you have a compressor.)

But mine would be a rigid setup, so shock absorption would make a difference.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 1, 2009, 11:41 a.m.

But mine would be a rigid setup, so shock absorption would make a difference.

ouch

I'd need at least 6" rubber grips

May 1, 2009, 11:42 a.m.

Thanks.

I'd say they feel the same as rubber in regards to shock absorbtion.

I simply bought some cheap BBB brand bar tape that had an adhesive strip on the back ($10.00). It's enough tape to do 2 sets of grips. There are many types of bar tape, so the cushiness or grippyness can be changed with different tapes.

Start on the outside and work your way in. At first I made them too thick and cushy but re-wrapped thinner and love them. For $10 I thought I'd give it a shot and it has proved to work well for me.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

May 1, 2009, 11:46 a.m.

I'd say they feel the same as rubber in regards to shock absorbtion.

I simply bought some cheap BBB brand bar tape that had an adhesive strip on the back ($10.00). Enough tape to do 2 sets of grips.

Start on the outside and work your way in. At first I made them too thick and cushy but re-wrapped thinner and love them. For $10 I thought I'd give it a shot and it has proved to work well for me.

Cool, thanks. BTW, they also make gel inserts that you can strategically place underneath the bar tape. But that might defeat your purpose of a thin grip.

May 1, 2009, 11:47 a.m.

Pure weight weenieism. nice work!

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

May 1, 2009, 11:49 a.m.

What will the pricing be like for that frame (or the one that will be avail to the general public)? The website says it's yet to be determined.

May 1, 2009, 11:50 a.m.

Yet to be determined…

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

May 1, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

It was the 08 site, so I thought it might have changed since then.

May 1, 2009, 12:42 p.m.

such a nice bike

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

May 1, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

Do I spy 6 speeds on the back there?

Bloody nice ride, by the way… I'm still dreaming of one of those in orange.

22 Pride

May 1, 2009, 1:41 p.m.

If you have small hands you should try ESI Racer's Edge grips. They're thin, comfortable, stick to handlebars like mad and very grippy with or without gloves.
I have big hands and use the ESI Chunky grips. They're not very well known but everyone that I know that has tried them loves them. You can also get them in some bling colours.

May 1, 2009, 2:20 p.m.

If you have small hands you should try ESI Racer's Edge grips. They're thin, comfortable, stick to handlebars like mad and very grippy with or without gloves.
I have big hands and use the ESI Chunky grips. They're not very well known but everyone that I know that has tried them loves them. You can also get them in some bling colours.

i've been using these for a couple years [HTML_REMOVED] they've been great. surprisingly grippy for a non-knurled surface [HTML_REMOVED] they stay stuck on the bar regardless of conditions, though they do wear faster than conventional rubber [HTML_REMOVED] tend to tear relatively easily in crashes. also a cheap way to save 50+g over a lock on. i like skinny grips so run the racer's edge.

May 1, 2009, 2:49 p.m.

Do I spy 6 speeds on the back there?

Bloody nice ride, by the way… I'm still dreaming of one of those in orange.

The smallest cog is not used. I need to grind off the teeth.

I'll do a little write up on how to set this gearing up.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-