Readers' Rides #2 - Something Completely Different

April 24, 2009, 5:04 p.m.

This was a superb story! Love the rediscovery of an old bike. The reference to single-speed geeks in the 90's sounded all too familiar. For example, my one-of-a-kind custom Williamson single-speed frame (made out of a circa 1997 Vertex T.O. tube-set!). I'm DEFINITELY going to have to build this up now and I think the challenge will be for how cheap!

April 26, 2009, 5:05 p.m.

Bit of an epidemic in Ketchum? My buddy had his cruiser stolen - right after he installed some new tires I brought down for him. You wouldn't expect that in Sun Valley.

unfortunately so cam.

the bikes tend to stay in the valley, so there is hope as the thaw continues.

my ransom was stolen last july, only to be found three days later in the hands of the valley's one drunk homeless man.

story: http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005123601

i was pretty surly on the stand having to testify ownership of the bike, and am not surprised he got off.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

April 26, 2009, 5:50 p.m.

It still surprises me when you see kids starting out mountain biking with a full susser. I think when you start on a fully rigid or smaller front susser you become a much better rider and appreciate the technology we enjoy these days. Thanks for the inspiration guys and the memories!

April 26, 2009, 8:02 p.m.

I totally agree. I think I was able to jump on the Kudu and feel right at home because I come from a bmx background. Soak up those bumps with your legs and arms! The only thing we had for suspension while growing up were the tires and our arms and legs. I recall not knowing what to do with all the travel I had on my Bighit when I first got it. Other riders would comment on how smooth I was but I was just riding like I always had in the past.

My kids are just getting into it and they have hardtails with a small amount of front suspension. I did build up a dual sus bike for them to share but they prefer the hardtails because they're lighter and easier to climb with.

April 26, 2009, 10:14 p.m.

great article, props to the author.

and props to cam for coming up with this idea, it's awesome.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 27, 2009, 11:12 p.m.

CONCORDE! :lol:…I totally forgot about it till this article. I bought one new in about 1990 as well. Very cool matte or flat black paint as I recall. Bought it in Calgary. Sold off my '89 Rocky Mountain Hammer to get it. Prior to that I was on an '87 BRC.

April 27, 2009, 11:23 p.m.

CONCORDE! :lol:…I totally forgot about it till this article. I bought one new in about 1990 as well. Very cool matte or flat black paint as I recall. Bought it in Calgary. Sold off my '89 Rocky Mountain Hammer to get it. Prior to that I was on an '87 BRC.

Yup, that was the paint on mine. Sort of a charcoal grey with a little bit of texture in it.

The brand was still around a few years ago although they only use the Concorde name for road bikes. Their mtn bikes had a name something like American Eagle, even though it is a Euro brand.

April 28, 2009, 8:26 a.m.

The paint on mine looks black/grey from a distance but it's actually green when you get up close.