Race Face shuts its doors

March 18, 2011, 1:08 p.m.

it takes a visionary to start a company like that but it takes a businessman to run it properly

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 18, 2011, 4:16 p.m.

I heard something interesting yesterday, seemed to come from a credible source. That MEC had just bought Raceface for dirt cheap from the receiver(bank). I am not sure but if so, this could mean we might still see the brand name under a different owner.

March 20, 2011, 9:07 p.m.

I have been hearing that rumour as well. No idea if it's true though.

March 20, 2011, 9:33 p.m.

MEC buying RF? That would be really interesting.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

March 20, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

Will all the RF employees be able to work again? Or will MEC branded things become Race Face branded thing? Will there be Race Face bikes, fenders, and flashy lights on the market soon?

March 20, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see how MEC dances around the environmental issues of extracting,refining and producing finished aluminum products.

I'd like to see them find some ethically sourced bauxite or bring the offshore forging and machining shops up to Chris King standards…..lol

Pastor of Muppets

March 20, 2011, 10:39 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see how MEC dances around the environmental issues of extracting,refining and producing finished aluminum products.

I'd like to see them find some ethically sourced bauxite or bring the offshore forging and machining shops up to Chris King standards…..lol

I don't really understand your post as MEC already sources finished aluminum products from many suppliers, including RaceFace. There is nothing to dance around or even controversial.

It would be great to see a Canadian organization buy them and keep some production in Canada if at all possible.

March 20, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

evil aluminum tent poles and camping pots!

March 21, 2011, 6:13 a.m.

I don't really understand your post as MEC already sources finished aluminum products from many suppliers, including RaceFace. There is nothing to dance around or even controversial.

It would be great to see a Canadian organization buy them and keep some production in Canada if at all possible.

In the RF case,they would become producers,right now with their ethical sourcing policy,they only have to find the least evil supplier possible.

I would expect that MEC would be held to a higher standard than whichever pixie dust factories are cutting their brake rotors and anodizing those evil tent poles.

Done properly (like Chris King's shop) they could become a leader in the industry.)

Pastor of Muppets

March 21, 2011, 7:43 a.m.

In the RF case,they would become producers,right now with their ethical sourcing policy,they only have to find the least evil supplier possible.

I would expect that MEC would be held to a higher standard than whichever pixie dust factories are cutting their brake rotors and anodizing those evil tent poles.

Done properly (like Chris King's shop) they could become a leader in the industry.)

wtf? so bikes companies producing alum bits as they do is okay, but if MEC buys one of these companies, they're held to a higher standard? why aren't you holding the bike manu's to a higher standard outright then if you care so much?

March 21, 2011, 10:02 a.m.

wtf? so bikes companies producing alum bits as they do is okay, but if MEC buys one of these companies, they're held to a higher standard? why aren't you holding the bike manu's to a higher standard outright then if you care so much?

Didn't you know, while MEC is held to this mythical high standard. When it comes to everyone else it is conveniently shelved.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 21, 2011, 3:42 p.m.

I was wondering about the MEC thing, as they just sent an email out last week showing new products for spring, heavily laden with Race Face gear. At first I thought it was an oversight, but if the rumour is true then it makes more sense.

www.travelswithtyler.com

March 21, 2011, 4:08 p.m.

Didn't you know, while MEC is held to this mythical high standard. When it comes to everyone else it is conveniently shelved.

I don't think its mythical, it's actually MEC who have developed their own standards and its an open part of their principles [HTML_REMOVED] marketing.

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198674094550[HTML_REMOVED]FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396038947

For example, they indicate that they work to ensure that clothing materials and textiles are sourced from factories where they follow health and safety standards for the workers, minimize waste, etc. I don't think it would be difficult to replicate these "standards" in manufacturing aluminum 'bits'.

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

March 21, 2011, 4:56 p.m.

I heard something interesting yesterday, seemed to come from a credible source. That MEC had just bought Raceface for dirt cheap from the receiver(bank). I am not sure but if so, this could mean we might still see the brand name under a different owner.

i had a feeling that might happen. interesting.

March 21, 2011, 5:08 p.m.

as i understand it: many moons ago, at an mec agm, a decision was made with regards the general sourcing policy: to pursue low prices and good products at the expense, where necessary, of rigorously vetting the environmental and labour rights policies of suppliers. years later mec started taking its sourcing a bit more seriously - around the same time they were awarded a "sweaty" (by adbusters?) and taken to task in the local media for agreeing to distribute nike - and slowly built what, as i understand it, is a very good sourcing policy and vetting program. while they're no patagonia (still the industry leader in this regard? dunno, but they've come up with some pretty great programs and ideas) i think they're held to a pretty high standard by virtue of their public profile and constitution (ie nominally owned by a bunch of nominal hippies), higher than anything i've seen in the bike industry outside of the hallowed halls of chris king. if they owned - rather than simply distributed - raceface, they'd likely have to address the pretty lousy environmental profile of aluminum mining and production. it would be interesting, at least.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave