Race Face shuts its doors

March 12, 2011, 4:56 p.m.

I just wrote up a short article on the Race Face situation, with a very little bit of info and some thoughts on the situation.

Read the words here.

There's also a thread on the subject here if you'd like to comment or get involved in more speculation.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

March 12, 2011, 5:21 p.m.

Race Face has long been my go-to brand.. Cranks, stems, bars… No matter what bike i've been aboard over the last 12 years of riding, Race Face has always had something to do with it.

I wish them the best, and hopefully a smooth transition into what will be the future.

www.painincorporated.com

March 12, 2011, 5:23 p.m.

thanks for everything race face!

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

March 12, 2011, 5:41 p.m.

[Asshole business owner]For a company to actually go into receivership, someone hasn't been paying attention to the books very well. Its not like this sort of thing happens overnight, and it is always the result of bad decisions at the top. You can blame the economy all you want, but the harsh reality is that sometimes someone has to make hard decisions - i.e. layoffs - R[HTML_REMOVED]D cutbacks - sponsorship cutbacks etc. I don't know the whole story, but if they've been in receivership for some time and the best way forward that the receiver sees is liquidation (which is generally the LAST option as it is usually the least profitable)someone dropped the ball big time.[/Asshole business owner]

This does really suck - RF are a marquee name that have contributed much to the history of the sport. Hopefully a streamlined, more profitable version emerges from the wreckage and the name lives on.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 12, 2011, 5:53 p.m.

I don't follow MTB news that closely, so I had no idea RaceFace was in bad shape.

"the high cost of manufacturing components in Canada versus Asia"

This pisses me right off. We just don't MAKE stuff these days, we just buy stuff. When we DO actually make stuff, we get shafted by slave labour.

March 12, 2011, 6:18 p.m.

this is really tragic. especially in a time when international companies are starting to look to canada as a safe haven for economic development. however i have seen this happen in other instances with companies, great products, ideas but poor financial management. however, with that said i really hope someone picks up the name brand again. for it to go the way that syncros did would be sad. i just went for a ride this morning and most of the extra bling on my bike, pads, jacket etc are race face. it's such an imbedded icon of the north shore. it just wouldn't be the same offshore if you know what I mean.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

March 12, 2011, 6:33 p.m.

Farewell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTf3AbAzLBI

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 12, 2011, 6:48 p.m.

Just curious what happens to the intellectual property and secret manufacturing processes when something like this happens? Hopefully someone can pick up the mantle and resurrect the brand in the future.

p.s. this sucks big time.

March 12, 2011, 6:52 p.m.

Just curious what happens to the intellectual property and secret manufacturing processes when something like this happens? Hopefully someone can pick up the mantle and resurrect the brand in the future.

p.s. this sucks big time.

They reside in the heads of about 3 people, 2 designers and… oh ya!

alright!!!

March 12, 2011, 7:02 p.m.

Please protect your brain… it will prove very valuable in the near future…

March 12, 2011, 7:42 p.m.

So could I buy the rights to Roach? who would I speak to about that?

March 12, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

[Asshole business owner]For a company to actually go into receivership, someone hasn't been paying attention to the books very well. Its not like this sort of thing happens overnight, and it is always the result of bad decisions at the top. You can blame the economy all you want, but the harsh reality is that sometimes someone has to make hard decisions - i.e. layoffs - R[HTML_REMOVED]D cutbacks - sponsorship cutbacks etc. I don't know the whole story, but if they've been in receivership for some time and the best way forward that the receiver sees is liquidation (which is generally the LAST option as it is usually the least profitable)someone dropped the ball big time.[/Asshole business owner]

dude, that's weak. if you actually are a business owner (which it sounds like you are) you should be able to reconcile the pressures that a company like Raceface must deal with. As mentioned in the article: costs of north american volume manufacturing, overall recession impacting luxury goods, oem sales and how some big players are spec'ing their own stuff, the strong canadian dollar, etc. Not to mention the R[HTML_REMOVED]D we consumers demand for "fresh product" every season.

March 12, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

This sux man - I hope you land on your feet!

My blog - read it!

March 12, 2011, 7:50 p.m.

dude, that's weak. if you actually are a business owner (which it sounds like you are) you should be able to reconcile the pressures that a company like Raceface must deal with. As mentioned in the article: costs of north american volume manufacturing, overall recession impacting luxury goods, oem sales and how some big players are spec'ing their own stuff, the strong canadian dollar, etc. Not to mention the R[HTML_REMOVED]D we consumers demand for "fresh product" every season.

Thus the [asshole business owner] quotes. That's all relevant and none of us know the full story.

My blog - read it!

March 12, 2011, 8:02 p.m.

Imagine if a trail advocacy group could buy a brand like roach,operate it as a co-op and divert all profits into trail maintenance.

Take that, MEC!

Pastor of Muppets