Race Face MEC and Cycles Lambert - things are heating up

Oct. 28, 2009, 11:39 p.m.

Race Face has decided to retail their products through Mountain Equipment Coop here in Canada. Race Face would like you to know this won't change anything for you.

Cycles Lambert has decided to stop distributing the Race Face brand here in Canada.

Click through to read press releases from Race Face and Cycles Lambert...

Oct. 29, 2009, 12:10 a.m.

Wow, a delicate issue. I wonder how well or how long differing SKUs [HTML_REMOVED] different discount levels for suppliers will work out. Interesting to see how it all plays out. How much overlap is MEC going to want of new RaceFace gear over what MEC already sells. I don't know what % of sales RaceFace gear @ the various IBDs is, but I imagine some will be less than impressed with this.

Call me crazy but anytime someone tells me there's going to be a change but I won't notice the difference…well call me skeptical.

Oct. 29, 2009, 8:05 a.m.

I'm pretty happy about this. All my dealing with MEC have been good; friendly staff, fairly knowledgeable and decent prices. I'm sick of stupid kids who don't know anything about what they are trying to sell me at the LBS and want full retail for parts when I can buy it online for half the price.

There are a few LBS's that I go to and get good info and service. I've never had bad service at MEC in 10+ years of dealing with them.

Oct. 29, 2009, 8:46 a.m.

Seriously, airing out dirty laundry like this? I really don't think Joe average needs to see either of those industry letters…

-m

Oct. 29, 2009, 8:47 a.m.

All I have to say is that Lambert are acting childish in my opinion. They want to monopolize the market so that is why they are not happy about Race Face move.

Oct. 29, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

Seriously, airing out dirty laundry like this? I really don't think Joe average needs to see either of those industry letters…

-m

Seems as though Lambert took the first step off that cliff with their release to Canadian Cyclist.

I guess the consumer will now be able to purchase RF products online in Canada (a select offering though).

:canada: :england:

Oct. 29, 2009, 8:58 a.m.

-m

Why should we keep Joe Consumer in the dark? Why shouldn't they know what's going on Matt?

Oct. 29, 2009, 9:06 a.m.

The Race Face letter is addressed to the IBD, which stands for Independent Bike Dealer. It was written by Craig Pollock, the pres of Race Face to his colleagues. This is not a case of not keeping the public in the dark, Cam.

And just cause Canadian Cyclist posted a verbatim copy of the letter addressed to industry - so what? So now we're a tabloid? Post anything that'll bring in hits? If hits is all that matters we should just have a NSFW forum and the site will skyrocket beyond Pinkbike within a week.

There's no problem with keeping people abreast of issues that affect them. However nothing more needs to be discussed other than "Race Face is now available at MEC."

-m

Oct. 29, 2009, 9:40 a.m.

thanks for the article. there are many reasons to shop locally despite generally higher prices than online us ordering, this kind of background information makes it easier for me to understand the debate, the parties involved and where to spend my money.

Oct. 29, 2009, 9:51 a.m.

"Lambert remains firm in its commitment to channels avoiding an every day low price strategy which brings down reasonable market pricing."

Thank you Lambert. I enjoy paying more. Let me bend over this counter here so you can give it to me a little easier.
Seriously though I don't see how RaceFace being available at MEC is going to change my buying habits. I can get all the cheap shit I need at Wal-mart but that doesn't mean I do. There's a latent value in good service and while I've never been treated poorly at MEC, I've also not received the level of service that is available at many local bike shops.
At the end of the day if the prices are even between MEC and an LBS I'd buy at the LBS every time… If there is a significant discount to be had I may change my mind.

Oct. 29, 2009, 10:03 a.m.

"Lambert remains firm in its commitment to channels avoiding an every day low price strategy which brings down reasonable market pricing."

Thank you Lambert. I enjoy paying more. Let me bend over this counter here so you can give it to me a little easier.

haha, I was just about to post the same thing. It seems the consumer wins here. If the bike shops can buy for the same price as MEC (or less) it seems the competition should be equal.

Canadian distributor markup is the reason Canadians looking for deals shop online.

Oct. 29, 2009, 10:06 a.m.

Pretty sure both of these letters are for the public…seen them a few places today….before I saw it on nsmb.

Oct. 29, 2009, 10:12 a.m.

The industry dirty laundry really should not be this out in the open.

Oct. 29, 2009, 10:31 a.m.

MEC has carried a lot of bike parts for a long time and I have still purchased the majority of my items at a bike shop. This kind of thing happens in business daily throughout all industry and rarely is it earth shattering.

Oct. 29, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

The industry dirty laundry really should not be this out in the open.

Wouldn't this be something that would normally be picked up and reported by Bicycle Retailer and Industry News anyways? It's just being posted here and elsewhere due to the local'ness of it all and I for one appreciate Cam's decision to post it. Shows how the bike industry is evolving (devolving?)

:canada: :england: