Opus Clutch 2011 - First Look from Rewoga

June 8, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

2002 called it wants its Camel Clutch Tactics jersey back.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

June 8, 2011, 9:37 a.m.

2002 called it wants its Camel Clutch Tactics jersey back.

Didn't they sponsor the Hooligans? Was that their name? :lol: The good old days.

June 8, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

What about all the other companies who have, in some way or another, taken a design and tweaked it for a ride that they want…??…

Giant copied Intense, Intense copied DW, Santa Cruz copied Intense, Banshee copied Intense… oh but wait, what about ALL those companies who copied Cannondale's single pivot stuff? Oh, and what about the companies that have "licensed" FSR stuff… but that's not copying, because they (well, actually we did, because they defer the cost to the consumer) paid for it… right? Come on….

It is one thing to use a suspension concept aka single pivot, VPP, FSR (chain stay pivot), faux bar (seat stay pivot)etc and put your own spin on it your geo your tube styles your cable routing but it is a whole other story to just pic a frame out of a catalog and put name on it.

BTW Outland bikes out dates all the other VPP bikes.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

June 8, 2011, 9:52 a.m.

Didn't they sponsor the Hooligans? Was that their name? :lol: The good old days.

And Drew G lol…….

June 8, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

looks like maestro.

re: front end lifting on climbs, possible issues (individually or combo), sorry if you already know all this (i don't know you), not trying to be insulting:
frame size too small, stem too short, shock too soft (or fork too firm). at least move the steer tube spacers above the stem to start, that's easy enough. will descend better too, get some weight on your front wheel.

It looks like you could also move your seat forward about 10mm, which won't compromise position over the pedals too much, but would really keep the nose down.

" However, with some weight shifting, the Clutch motors up technical descents"

^You're doing it backwards!

Please note - I'd been on two rides by press time - adjustments coming.

What's their reasoning for the 2 different head tube styles? Can't you do everything with a tapered head tube that you can with a straight head tube? Production wise wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to use 1 head tube style?

Price point. Plain and simple.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 8, 2011, 10:03 a.m.

It is one thing to use a suspension concept aka single pivot, VPP, FSR (chain stay pivot), faux bar (seat stay pivot)etc and put your own spin on it your geo your tube styles your cable routing but it is a whole other story to just pic a frame out of a catalog and put name on it.

BTW Outland bikes out dates all the other VPP bikes.

Companies have been doing it for years, and if it works for them and the people that ride their bikes, then no harm done. You don't see Opus pushing it as new tech or anything like that, it's just a way that they can get into the FS business, with time, they may end up being a name that people respect, but for now, their foot is in the door.

June 8, 2011, 10:04 a.m.

the suspension talk in this piece confused me (not hard to do i'll admit)

firstly, i didn't understand the part about the opus' fork crown being higher than the spitfire's. different length fork? less sag?

more stanchion exposed between lowers and fork crown. Srsly. I'll include a pic with the final review.

secondly this

doesn't look like a dw link to me. maestro maybe?

:dizzy:

More like this:

My blog - read it!

June 8, 2011, 10:13 a.m.

hello rebadged astro frame

You've beaten me to post that!

Why even bother writing a review on a catalog frame that was conceived by stealing someone else's design?

hmmmm - well, that would certainly cut the amount of bike reviews.

FSR - we'll only review Specialized.

Single pivot - only Cannondales

VPP - not sure - we'll figure out the one brand worth looking at.

Split Pivot - Trek or Evil? Not gonna bother with the new Devincis.

The fact of the matter is there are a lot of bikes out there to choose from, so isn't any info good for making a decision on a purchase? If the bikes fun to ride and good value for money, does it matter that you aren't overpaying for something with a barely legitimate patent and lots of marketing hype?

On that note - my favourite patent ever…

I kid you not - Canadian Patent # 2160930

http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/patent/2160930/summary.html?query=%28pet+and+feeder%29[HTML_REMOVED]start=1[HTML_REMOVED]num=50[HTML_REMOVED]type=advanced_search

My blog - read it!

June 8, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

What about all the other companies who have, in some way or another, taken a design and tweaked it for a ride that they want…??…

Giant copied Intense, Intense copied DW, Santa Cruz copied Intense, Banshee copied Intense… oh but wait, what about ALL those companies who copied Cannondale's single pivot stuff? Oh, and what about the companies that have "licensed" FSR stuff… but that's not copying, because they (well, actually we did, because they defer the cost to the consumer) paid for it… right? Come on….

I don't know how many times we (the community) has to have this debate around who copied who… who gives a shit?

Get your head out of your ass, and the sand out of your vagina, and stop pouting over the fact that you probably paid more for your Intense with a lesser spec because somehow, someway, you're convinced the Intense is better than everything else…

I think it's great that the technology filters through the industry, especially when it comes to suspension designs, and companies making an attempt at tweaking/improving it for how they want to design a bike. Yes, it may be similar to this design, or to that design, but in the end it creates competition in an industry that NEEDS competition so that we don't have to pay thousands of dollars for an Intense or Santa Cruz frame, that really, at the end of the day, probably doesn't have THAT much better of performance to justify the premiums you pay…

Hey, if a company tries it, and it sucks, then no body will continue to buy it, and it will fall to the wayside, but otherwise, lets be stoked on the fact that there are more (and less expensive) options out there.

From what I've heard about the Opus stuff, is that it rides very well. Take a look at their Nelson bikes (and the prices), and I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many competitive alternatives, price/spec wise…

Price-wise the Opus lands half-way between the Giant Reign0 and Reign1 while not offering significantly better value. Shouldn't a copy be cheaper for being a copy?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 8, 2011, 10:58 a.m.

more stanchion exposed between lowers and fork crown. Srsly. I'll include a pic with the final review.

doesn't that simply mean its a longer travel fork that what you're running on the spitfire?

More like this:

exactly, that's a dw link; the opus would seem to have a "maestro" suspension. like this:

notice the similarities? not a bad thing, it just is what it is

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 8, 2011, 10:58 a.m.

hmmmm - well, that would certainly cut the amount of bike reviews we have to do around here.

Not at all.

There's a difference between using a proven suspension design and creating your own product built around that original design or going to a Frame Manufacturer in Asia and selecting a frame from their catalog.

By creating I mean engineers pouring in hundreds of hours selecting the right envelope for the bike that maximizes strength, weight, stiffness, and marketability.

I guess I was a bit harsh with my first comment. A review is a review after all. I just find it funny that a bike like that Opus would get media play considering the series of events that led to it being added to their line-up.

June 8, 2011, 11 a.m.

hmmmm - well, that would certainly cut the amount of bike reviews we have to do around here.

FSR - we'll only review Specialized.

Single pivot - only Cannondales

VPP - not sure - we'll figure out the one brand worth looking at.

Split Pivot - Trek or Evil? Not gonna bother with the new Devincis.

The fact of the matter is there are a lot of bikes out there to choose from, so isn't any info good for making a decision on a purchase? If the bikes fun to ride and good value for money, does it matter that you aren't overpaying for something with a barely legitimate patent and lots of marketing hype?

On that note - my favourite patent ever…

I kid you not - Canadian Patent # 2160930

http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/patent/2160930/summary.html?query=%28pet+and+feeder%29[HTML_REMOVED]start=1[HTML_REMOVED]num=50[HTML_REMOVED]type=advanced_search

Ridemonkeys getting upset at DW reviews, NSMBrs getting upset about rip offs. Best not bother with reviews or content eh?

June 8, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

doesn't that simply mean its a longer travel fork that what you're running on the spitfire?

Nope - they are both 150 mm forks. Not sure why there is a difference - the 32 Fit on the Clutch doesn't compress the full amount of stanchion that is exposed. Maybe they are saving some stanchion for the Canucks?

exactly, that's a dw link; the opus would seem to have a "maestro" suspension. like this:

not a bad thing, it just is what it is

variations on a theme…

My blog - read it!

June 8, 2011, 11:06 a.m.

Not at all.

There's a difference between using a proven suspension design and creating your own product built around that original design or going to a Frame Manufacturer in Asia and selecting a frame from their catalog.

By creating I mean engineers pouring in hundreds of hours selecting the right envelope for the bike that maximizes strength, weight, stiffness, and marketability.

I guess I was a bit harsh with my first comment. A review is a review after all. I just find it funny that a bike like that Opus would get media play considering the series of events that led to it being added to their line-up.

You don't know a lot of engineers very well then….copy copy copy is the name of the game!!!!

and give me back my avatar - thief!!

My blog - read it!

June 8, 2011, 11:13 a.m.

Camel Clutch Tactics Represent!

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin