Olympic Hangover - Goodbye To the 5-ring Circus

March 1, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

Better to limit it to the downtown core/peninsula… Nanaimo St is a Looooong way from Howe.

So? Take the bus or a taxi, or ride a bike. That's the whole purpose of doing these
kinds of cities. If it's planned well, you'll get to where you're going faster than if
you were driving your car and there's typical traffic and you have to find parking.

I'm saying start small, and work your way up to the whole lower peninsula being
no vehicles that aren't authorized.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 1, 2010, 2:55 p.m.

Was that really necessary?

no, it was not. I was happy to hear a lot more positive chanting than this crap.

March 1, 2010, 3:02 p.m.

I will say this however: I've never heard more chants of "Fuck USA" in my life.

I don't think I heard that once. And no - there is no place for that kind of crap.

The restaurant we watched the hockey game at had 20 or so Americans at it, and it made for a great vibe. We sat next to two of them and they told us how polite everyone was to them even though they were wearing US jackets. The guy laughed about a group of 6 Indians that passed him in the street and one by one said to him "USA… Not today…" while laughing and slapping him on the shoulder. Sorry your experience wasn't the same throughout the games.

March 1, 2010, 3:04 p.m.

I heard a whole ton of "we want U-S-A" chants after the Slovakia-Canada game. I didn't hear any yelling of fuck usa though. I'm sorry to hear that you did.

Bicycles!

March 1, 2010, 3:04 p.m.

I'll never forget the two Canadians that came up to an American on the street, shook his hand and said "Good game".

Dammit, my eyes are tearing up again…

March 1, 2010, 3:23 p.m.

I really enjoyed it… Being of age to go into bars would have been rad, but it was a great party on the street none the less…

Also, did anyone hear a guy playing bag pipes multiple nights? If so that was one of my friends ahaha.. Best way to get across town was to walk behind him.

flickr

March 1, 2010, 3:46 p.m.

People in Whistler seem to have post-oly depression, but I'm OK with it. It's been a good time, but a time where I had to work a lot.

Everyone talks about Vancouver never being the same. Can you guys share why you think this way? I drove through the City a few times while going to the airport and back, but otherwise I spent all my Olympic time in Whistler.

What will change? Are you sure it won't be like when summer camp ends, everyone goes back to school, and the natural rhythm of daily life returns?

March 1, 2010, 4:42 p.m.

my friends heard a lot of fuck usa chants too saying that it got a bit stupid.

i too have so many oly highlights including spending a lot of time w/ my 2 1/2 year old at the ozone watching hockey and eating popcorn.

i have to admit, the teary eye moment for me though was of my dad getting lost.

so, first off my dad has had a real hard life and is not a very personable guy as he trusts no one. not even his family.

anyway, he has tai chi class as that's all he does other than sit at home by himself. his missed the classes during the first week of the olys as he was sick. last week was his first week back and he took the bus as he usually does. due to detours he ended up a little lost and confused but after following the driver's directions he ended up around chinatown area which he was familiar enough w/ to get him to class. after class he figured he could walk up a bit and find his way back home.

unfortunately his plan was to walk towards the skytrain station which was a bit far. after walking for a while he was tired and realized he couldn't make it as his knees were hurting and started to panic. he then saw a group of red cladded fans chatting on the side but was a bit intimidated by them but had no other choice but to ask for help. after explaining to them that he was lost and needed help to bus to the skytrain, one of the guys who probably sensed a bit of panic in his voice said, "oh i'm headed that way, i'll take you there right now". and w/ that he left his friends and took my dad down the block to the bus and brought him all the way to the main street station where they went their separate ways. my dad's a slow walker but the guy waited for him and walked w/ him across the street and chatted w/ him the whole time.

the guy was probably in his mid 30's and my dad is in his late 70's. he took the time and left his friends early just so he could personally help him out rather than just point him in the direction. the united friendly atmosphere is what i'll remember the most.

March 1, 2010, 5:17 p.m.

We were all unbelievably lucky to have lived here for the last few weeks. I kind of knew the olympics were a big deal, but never imagined it would be anything like it was.

March 1, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

I must be the only one that thinks Neil Young's voice sounds like dragging your fingernails across a blackboard.

Neil Young was the best part of the closing ceremonies IMO :clap:
That was one of the few moments during the Olympics when I was really choked up. Others:
Alexandre BILODEAU winning the moguls
Joannie ROCHETTE before, during and after the short program
Jon MONTGOMERY winning skeleton :beer:
Charles HAMELIN winning double gold on Friday
Devon KERSHAW at the finish of the 50K mass start
Mellisa Hollingsworth after the skeleton

March 1, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

Everyone talks about Vancouver never being the same. Can you guys share why you think this way? I drove through the City a few times while going to the airport and back, but otherwise I spent all my Olympic time in Whistler.

What will change? Are you sure it won't be like when summer camp ends, everyone goes back to school, and the natural rhythm of daily life returns?

My theory is in my article.

Are you old enough to remember Vancouver before Expo 86?

March 1, 2010, 9:10 p.m.

All of those GM vehicles are going to be sold off… that's a lot of cheap white vans getting in front of you on the Sea to Sky

im there with ya..

personaly im glad the whole Oly's thing is over..

All you need for riding is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.

March 1, 2010, 9:38 p.m.

All of those GM vehicles are going to be sold off… that's a lot of cheap white vans getting in front of you on the Sea to Sky

lukily i know first hand they are all headed back to the USA..

:clap:

so they can break down on their hiways not the sea to sky, ahaahah

:scream:

March 1, 2010, 9:40 p.m.

My theory is in my article.

Are you old enough to remember Vancouver before Expo 86?

I know what Vancouver was like back then, even if I can't remember. But it still surprises me that an event could have such a drastic effect on the direction a city is headed. Apparently some of the marketing hype may be true!

Ever since my first trip to Yurp, I've thought we should have more pedestrianised streets in Canada. I honestly thought Vancouver would have put one in by now…hope it happens sooner rather than later.

HiBullit's idea is crazy ambitious. The city is still in love with the car for the most part.

On a related note, I had a great time in Vancouver this past weekend. Glad I made it downtown yesterday!

March 2, 2010, 8:16 a.m.

lukily i know first hand they are all headed back to the USA..

:clap:

so they can break down on their hiways not the sea to sky, ahaahah

:scream:

elaborate? I heard they were going to be sold thru Canadian dealers….

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com