nsmbA AGM done - a new board in place

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:24 p.m.

^I think a forum on here is a great idea, and don't see a reason why it would be/should be temporary? In conjunction with a forum on the NSMBA website would be of great benefit to all of us. I think NSMB.COM has a much broader 'membership' so it's great to hear you'll be helping to expand the presence Cam!

Same problem as the last 5 or so years.
1. Far more people are aware of NSMB than NSMBA
2. Many people think they are the same thing
3. By introducing a forum on NSMB, this line becomes further blurred to the uniformed

Unless one of the entities changes their name, the confusion will continue. If the NSMBA had an active forum on it's own site, this would go a long way towards better brand separation. This is a IMO a long way off, so the interim solution offered by Cam is excellent and appriciated, but should not be the long term goal.

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

3. By introducing a forum on NSMB, this line becomes further blurred to the uniformed

Unless one of the entities changes their name, the confusion will continue. If the NSMBA had an active forum on it's own site, this would go a long way towards better brand separation. This is a IMO a long way off, so the interim solution offered by Cam is excellent and appriciated, but should not be the long term goal.

would it be possible to have it ghost hosted on NSMB, but only have it on NSMBA?

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:29 p.m.

You could have a feed posted on the NSMBA site that showed recent posts easily enough. A forum on the site is pretty easy to implement too.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:30 p.m.

Adding to the discussion on the NSMBA domain name changing to .ca from .bc.ca , the domain name of nsmba.net looks to be still available (or at least it doesn't resolve). The .com [HTML_REMOVED] .org variations are being used.

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:36 p.m.

NSORCA is available :)

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

http://www.orcans.com/

nanunanu

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

the thing is, the style of trail I believe he's talking about, "new school" intermediate xc,

Maybe; but let me quote him from his original post…

Speed, flow and airs are the name of the game today

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:45 p.m.

Bingo

As much as it's great that NSMB is willing and available to help. Brand separation is more important. NSMBA needs to re-build it's brand.

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:06 p.m.

at the risk of sounding like one of those crusty old told ya so farts that no-one wants around… NSMBA did set up it's own web forum several years ago when membership was at it's peak. It withered and died within a few months. no-one really cared too much.

I think you'll find that to reach even a small % of the general riding poplace on critical issues you've got to go through NSMB.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:13 p.m.

at the risk of sounding like one of those crusty old told ya so farts that no-one wants around… NSMBA did set up it's own web forum several years ago when membership was at it's peak. It withered and died within a few months. no-one really cared too much.

I think you'll find that to reach even a small % of the general riding poplace on critical issues you've got to go through NSMB.

that's the crux, nsmb gets the traffic that the nsmba needs…..

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:14 p.m.

A forum on the site is pretty easy to implement too.

Like this one?
http://nsmba.bc.ca/newsite/?page_id=965

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:18 p.m.

I'm not saying that this is the complete solution, but perhaps once we get the old site updated to the New Site then the commenting features of the blog posts will help fill in at least some of the gaps? An 80% solution, if you will, with NSMB.com filling in the rest. Like folks have said, NSMB.com is a strong community resource in its own right - I'm not the strategy should be to try and out-do what it already does very well.

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

I believe it would be feasible to have a forum that lived on both sites so that it could have the identity of the nsmba but the traffic we get here on nsmb.com. I think it could stay up to date in real time as well so anything posted on one site would automatically show up on the other.

Smoke - does that sound right?

The issue with having the forum only on nsmba is that you'd be singing to the choir. Anyone who regularly checks there is probably already deeply involved. We want to reach those we aren't yet involved.

Either way I'll support whatever the consensus - or the board - thinks is best for the organization.

Dec. 11, 2009, 3:10 p.m.

The issue with having the forum only on nsmba is that you'd be singing to the choir. Anyone who regularly checks there is probably already deeply involved. We want to reach those we aren't yet involved.

Either way I'll support whatever the consensus - or the board - thinks is best for the organization.

Bingo.

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Dec. 11, 2009, 3:20 p.m.

I believe an NSMBA subforum would help in every way. There could be a "read-me-first" sticky which would explain the difference between the two entities and direct any uninformed traffic to the NSMBA site for more info. It would grow the NSMBA brand. I see no point in having a forum on the NSMBA website if Cam is offering a dedicated subforum here.

-------------

As far as the meeting and support, I do deeply regret not being able to appear yesterday. Life simply did not allow it. I have "been involved" with the NSMBA at the highest level I could afford since I have moved to BC, and this will not change. Further, I am not involved with the NSMBA as a form of advertising for my business, but because I care about the trails I love and ride.

If anyone is concerned that North Shore Bike Shop may not adequately support the NSMBA, and trails on the Shore in general, please feel free to email us and we can discuss in detail our level of involvement. Thanks!

-m