nsmbA AGM 2008

Nov. 24, 2008, 12:10 p.m.

To add to this: if the NSMBA so wishes, private forums with certain restrictions can be set up.

Hey Norm,

It already exists on the NSMBA site. A decision was made to keep it exclusive for the directors to allow discussion and minimize emails.

But with only 7 or so people with access to this forum it isn't as lively as it could be and easier to just have email conversations.

I think opening it up would create a more active and stronger community.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 24, 2008, 1:41 p.m.

the paid administrator thing has always baffled me.

for some reason it's OK to pay people to work on trails, but it's not OK to pay people to do paper work to keep NSMBA running?

seems to me (but what do i know) that the NSMBA is happy maintaining the status quo and lacks much in the way of long-term vision.

Nov. 24, 2008, 1:41 p.m.

I think opening it up would create a more active and stronger community.

…and would provide an opportunity to separate church and state.

Right now the line is blurry at best. With an NSMBA forum on the NSMB site, the line would disappear.

Nov. 24, 2008, 3:17 p.m.

Who's the church and who's the state?

It actually might be an opportunity to provide more distinction through communication.

Nov. 24, 2008, 3:25 p.m.

It actually might be an opportunity to provide more distinction through communication.

This is my thought on it as well. Being able to actively distinguish the 2, while also drawing on a MUCH larger user base can only benefit!

However, Sharon had good points on why it was restricted, but then that problem is solved as cam mentioned with private forums. Or even that private forum still lives @ the nsmba site, it doesn't have to be here.

Either way, I think a public forum here on this site for discussions, suggestions, complaints (cause those are good too!) will generate a tremendous amount of useful feedback.

One of the hardest things to find/break into/retain is an active userbase. Especially online! If the nsmba doesn't milk this site (NSMB.COM) for all its worth, then they might as well be turning down free beer!

mmmm beer

Nov. 24, 2008, 3:29 p.m.

oh, and also… that'd be considered alcohol abuse to the highest degree!!

:)

Nov. 24, 2008, 4:22 p.m.

Great discussion everyone! I'm really happy to see people discussing the NSMBA again, it seems like it's been a long time.

First of all, I'm holding informal office hours this week. Check out this thread for the time, and stop by if you have anything to discuss.

Secondly, there is a lot of work to be done to improve the NSMBA, so please be patient. A functioning and informative forum that efficiently organizes NSMBA related discussion will not be up tonight, nor will we hire a paid administrator tomorrow. We will however be looking into both of these options shortly.

This week, our priority is to have a directors meeting to define our roles and start planning for 2009. We will also be following up with potential volunteers from the AGM, ensuring they're in the loop and taken care of.

As always, we are available to answer your questions. An email is often the fastest way, as it ensures that we actually receive your question. We will do our best to get back to you within 48 hours.
For general questions, info (at) nsmba.bc.ca
For director questions, directors (at) nsmba.bc.ca
For trail questions, trails (at) nsmba.bc.ca

Nov. 24, 2008, 4:40 p.m.

Who's the church and who's the state?

Forgive me father, for I'm about to sin.

Cam, you're a well respected member of the biking community as well as the community at large. Your commitment to both is recognised by all.

However, NSMB is a business. As the owner of that business you have a financial interest in channeling NSMBA news, and the attached traffic, to your website. For this reason, your views on the subject, regardless of validity, are a clear conflict of interest.

Nov. 24, 2008, 4:48 p.m.

What's your point Mark? They weren't doing either?

my point is that i think some of last year's directors are taking it on the chin a bit. we seem to have forgotten that these people volunteered their time to keep things going and while things may not have operated as smoothly as we all would have liked, at least they did operate. if not for the people that volunteer as directors there would be no nsmba.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 24, 2008, 5 p.m.

my point is that i think some of last year's directors are taking it on the chin a bit. we seem to have forgotten that these people volunteered their time to keep things going and while things may not have operated as smoothly as we all would have liked, at least they did operate. if not for the people that volunteer as directors there would be no nsmba.

great point Mark, it's easy to forget that the directors are volunteers, so as much as we want the NSMBA to succeed and progress there's only so much time in the day to juggle everything. There's a lot of use of the word "they" in this thread, I think it should be "we" especially since most people bringing up valid points are members of the NSMBA and therefore volunteers just like the directors.

Nov. 24, 2008, 5:03 p.m.

Cam, you're a well respected member of the biking community as well as the community at large. Your commitment to both is recognised by all.

However, NSMB is a business. As the owner of that business you have a financial interest in channeling NSMBA news, and the attached traffic, to your website. For this reason, your views on the subject, regardless of validity, are a clear conflict of interest.

The confusion has been more beneficial then detrimental to both organizations.

Don't forget Cam is a mountain biker and has been involved in the preservation of the trails since its been an issue. It's in everyone's best interest that NSMB.com is here and involved.

Nov. 24, 2008, 5:05 p.m.

great point Mark, it's easy to forget that the directors are volunteers, so as much as we want the NSMBA to succeed and progress there's only so much time in the day to juggle everything. There's a lot of use of the word "they" in this thread, I think it should be "we" especially since most people bringing up valid points are members of the NSMBA and therefore volunteers just like the directors.

Another reason the paid admin positions time has come.

Nov. 24, 2008, 5:08 p.m.

If NSMB hadn't stepped up there would have been no way of disseminating information about the Alpine study, trail days, Rippers, night-riding bans etc. as electronic and written communication from the NSMBA effectively shut down in the last 2 years

Nov. 24, 2008, 5:08 p.m.

Another reason the paid admin positions time has come.

personally, i think it's long overdue. we should have been doing this about 3-4 yrs ago.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 24, 2008, 5:20 p.m.

Either way, I think a public forum here on this site for discussions, suggestions, complaints (cause those are good too!) will generate a tremendous amount of useful feedback.

This effectively exists as the "Trail Conditions" and "Trails News and Maintenance" Forums. These were created in 2001 by Cam after an IMBA conference to get more riders to provide input specifically on these two topics.

personally, i think it's long overdue. we should have been doing this about 3-4 yrs ago.

This was done 3-4 years ago just not in the last two years.