NSMB Tests SRAM XX1 On the Trail

Feb. 6, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

No issues on either system. Have an XTR derailleur with about 10 months of use, and a Saint derailleur with about 8 months of use. No issues with the X9 and X0 ones in the office either.

Feb. 6, 2013, 11:29 p.m.

From what I'm hearing the problem arises on Shimano derailers as well.

I tightened my XTR clutch using the little included tool after a couple of rides because I found the stock setting a bit too loose for BC riding. It has maybe developed a touch of extra play over the time I've run it (basically since they were introduced) but I haven't bothered to crack it open again and tighten it back up. It's a pretty solid system IMHO so I'm not sure it's a really a "problem" per se… more of a maintenance thing.

Feb. 7, 2013, 12:04 a.m.

It would be nice to be able to read the original article once again …..Can't access it via the first page on the thread.

I'm planning to move into an XX1 once Easton has the freehub availible.

Sorry - broken links still remain from the server change. Here's the story:

http://www.nsmb.com/5494-sram-xx1-on-trail/

flickr

Feb. 7, 2013, 8:47 a.m.

^^^^ Awesome, thanks Morgman !!

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

Kperras or anyone…..
Is the XX1 derailuer much longer than a SRAM XO short cage? Do they offer lengths?
How's yours holding up?
Does it even really matter being that it only looks really vulnerable in climb mode…?

Feb. 23, 2013, 9:44 a.m.

Here's my new question. How much extra torque is being applied to rear hub and pawls or star ratchet with that 42? I know a person that has damaged the fast engagement star ratchet in his DT hub with regular drivetrain on a 29er and I have also heard of rear hubs being damaged by big powerful 29er riders.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 23, 2013, 3:56 p.m.

Here's my new question. How much extra torque is being applied to rear hub and Paul's or star ratchet with that 42? I know a person that has damaged the fast engagement star ratchet in his DT hub with regular drivetrain on a 29er and I have also heard of rear hubs being damaged by big powerful 29er riders.

Torque will be proportional to gearing. Chain tension will be lower than for a smaller chainring. If someone runs an undersize chainring it will generate extra torque but no different to someone running a 22t with a 36t at the rear (for instance).

Cheers Ben

March 1, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

no different to someone running a 22t with a 36t at the rear (for instance).

Cheers Ben

Which was enough for Shimano to redesign the freehub of their hubs specifically for 29rs, before 10 speed came out and they dropped the 22t ring for a 24t

March 1, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

Kperras or anyone…..
Is the XX1 derailuer much longer than a SRAM XO short cage? Do they offer lengths?
How's yours holding up?
Does it even really matter being that it only looks really vulnerable in climb mode…?

Same length as a medium cage, maybe a bit longer. Only one length available. Holding up well. No issues to report of yet.