NSMB Tests SRAM XX1 On the Trail

Feb. 2, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

Best innovation for bikes since the dropper post. [HTML_REMOVED] All that needs to be said.

So….best bike innovation in the last 18 months. Are you saying it's good or give it a miss?

He's among the converted: he can be heard yelling "42 tooth!" from miles off.

flickr

Feb. 2, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

So….best bike innovation in the last 18 months. Are you saying it's good or give it a miss?

Cheers Ben

Dropper posts have been around for a few years. Since then, nothing revolutionary has come along.

Ditching the FD while maintaining a usable range of gears was pretty damn good. Throw in not needing a chainguide, a very stiff clutch derailleur yet the lightest feeling shifting out of Sram to date, and this drivetrain is full of win. My bike has never been so quiet and smooth. It is a substantial improvement as far as drivetrains go.

I'll shed a tear though on the day I smash the rear derailleur to bits, or wear out the cassette. Mucho Dinero to replace those parts.

Feb. 2, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

My bike has never been so quiet and smooth.

now if only you were too.

Feb. 2, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

now if only you were too.

Bazinga!

Feb. 2, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

Dropper posts have been around for a few years. Since then, nothing revolutionary has come along.

Ditching the FD while maintaining a usable range of gears was pretty damn good. Throw in not needing a chainguide, a very stiff clutch derailleur yet the lightest feeling shifting out of Sram to date, and this drivetrain is full of win. My bike has never been so quiet and smooth. It is a substantial improvement as far as drivetrains go.

I'll shed a tear though on the day I smash the rear derailleur to bits, or wear out the cassette. Mucho Dinero to replace those parts.

Nice, i was worried about missing either on the high side or low side, going to put the XX1 on my race bike for TOM series and Nimby…

I have XTR on my other bike, not much different if you smash a derailer and i need to replace drive train this year so that'll suck. pay to play i guess.

Feb. 2, 2013, 10:45 p.m.

The cost of the rear d for is too high for me to justify the system. If you have an industry hookup or dollars to blow, then good on ya. But, I think I can live just fine with a 1x10 or 2x10. The front derailleurs on my bike tend to shift pretty nicely.

Feb. 2, 2013, 10:55 p.m.

pay to play i guess.

Ummmm. No.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 4, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

Ummmm. No.

I have to pay when i bust my stuff…

Feb. 5, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

I'll bet that 1X11 will trickle down really fast to xo, x9 levels. And I would have to think Shimano may copy this too.

CRC has it priced out at around $1400 for everything you need right now. Not all variations of cranks and rings available yet nor is the dt swiss freehub body you will need if you have DT hubs.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 5, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

I'll bet that 1X11 will trickle down really fast to xo, x9 levels. And I would have to think Shimano may copy this too.

CRC has it priced out at around $1400 for everything you need right now. Not all variations of cranks and rings available yet nor is the dt swiss freehub body you will need if you have DT hubs.

…and Shimano's will work better and cost less. I'll wait a year for XT and be happy!

Cheers Ben

Feb. 5, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

I'm hearing reports of slop developing between the derailer cage and the clutch mechanism, leading to free play and chain slap that can't be taken out by adjusting the clutch. Any comments from users in the field?

Feb. 6, 2013, 7:08 a.m.

I'm hearing reports of slop developing between the derailer cage and the clutch mechanism, leading to free play and chain slap that can't be taken out by adjusting the clutch. Any comments from users in the field?

The Shimano clutch is adjustable. On XTR at least. Not sure about the other Shimano derailleurs. SRAM is not adjustable as far as I know. Perhaps SRAM are adjustable in the sense of removing play?

Feb. 6, 2013, 7:42 a.m.

The Shimano clutch is adjustable. On XTR at least. Not sure about the other Shimano derailleurs. SRAM is not adjustable as far as I know. Perhaps SRAM are adjustable in the sense of removing play?

From what I'm hearing the problem arises on Shimano derailers as well.

Feb. 6, 2013, 8:34 a.m.

It would be nice to be able to read the original article once again …..Can't access it via the first page on the thread.

I'm planning to move into an XX1 once Easton has the freehub availible.

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

From what I'm hearing the problem arises on Shimano derailleurs as well.

I have a good season and a half on mine and it is still rock solid. The tension did become reduced at one point after break in. It is a simple procedure to adjust it. Simple band clamp. I would think that it would be the exact same bearing/bushing as a non clutch though. But with less movement going on from bouncing, less wear?