NSMB Tests SRAM XX1 On the Trail

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:43 a.m.

Change is hard for some people and these new drive-trains really point that out…haha.

maybe, but I'm also one of the few out there still running a triple up front, and I like it! old school for life! hahaha

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

maybe, but I'm also one of the few out there still running a triple up front, and I like it! old school for life! hahaha

I really dislike front derailleurs and that is one of the main reasons I went to 1x10. I was nervous at first because I didn't think it would have the range I needed but it has more than I need for most rides around here…maybe if I was riding faster XC wide open flowy trails like what is down south I would have to change it up…but for here it works great. That is what gets me excited about the 1x11, to have both low and high end without a front D….WANT!

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

There are only 3 distinct gears in a 36/24 2x10 drivetrain according to my excel-ling. Edit* 3 distinct granny ring gears that aren't covered by overlap in the 36t.

By going to a 32t chainring in a 1x11 i'd lose a tiny amount off my current top gear, and completely lose my 24*36 bailout gear.

I could go to a 30 or 28t ring up front and have all the gears i want for climbing, but lose the top end, or vice versa…

I'm sold, i just wish it wasn't SRAM.

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

I think it makes a lot of sense. However, I won't touch it until there are multiple options for cassettes, chains, and chainrings (Shimano, SRAM, KM, etc) so that I'm not forced to buy over-priced replacement parts from SRAM when things wear out AND an option for converting over with a new spider instead of a whole new crank. The current upper-end cassettes from SRAM (10970, 1090 etc) are butter-soft, and lose their teeth faster than a rummy eating a candy apple- make it compatible with reasonably priced components and I might just make the leap.

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:17 a.m.

PVD did up a bunch of pretty charts showing the Meters of Development on some drive train options.

Link

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

Change is hard for some people

Spending $1500+ on gears is hard for most people! Especially when it's just re-hashed 100 year old technology.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

I've been running 1x9 for a while - I haven't had a granny on a bike in 2 years. I haven't found a front derailleur+guide setup that both stays on for chunky descents and handles abuse and mud (bearings fail and guides bend). I push the hard climbs.

This looks awesome!!! I really do pine for a granny on the big days of high country climbing.

Huge props to SRAM for demoing this on the upper bike park. Anything other than that and I would have called total BS on the chain staying on without a guide.

Now all we have to do is wait 2 years for it to be available in X9 flavor for the masses. I ride my stuff into the ground, so way I'm spending even X0 type money on parts.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

Is it only me that feels that this is just a last way to squeeze something out of a outdated technology??
When will SRAM and Shimano make a internal gear system like this one http://pinion.eu/en/ (not talking about Alfine)
Why waist time, money and energy on something that in tops 10 years will be replaced with internal technology.

Aug. 28, 2012, 11:55 a.m.

Is it only me that feels that this is just a last way to squeeze something out of a outdated technology??
When will SRAM and Shimano make a internal gear system like this one http://pinion.eu/en/ (not talking about Alfine)
Why waist time, money and energy on something that in tops 10 years will be replaced with internal technology.

(well built) internal gearhubs aren't a good business model when your company is based on producing goods that are replaced on a yearly basis (or more frequently). selling customers on a product that is more expensive as well as heavier is tough as well. value is only realized if you keep the bike longer than a couple years, and for many, it's hard to justify.

myself, i'm sold on the concept; my rohloff is on it's 6th season, and the only drivetrain maintenance (apart from lubing the chain) has been an oil change and a cable replacement. 100% perfect shifting, nearly maintenance free. this i like.

Aug. 28, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

So what is the bolt pattern size for that chainring? Will it not fit a standard 104 BCD spider with a bash ring? I'm not buying new cranks.

Aug. 28, 2012, 12:07 p.m.

to many words

Just for you, there are pictures as well. Enjoy!

So what is the bolt pattern size for that chainring? Will it not fit a standard 104 BCD spider with a bash ring? I'm not buying new cranks.

You can see that it's a proprietary bolt pattern. Chainrings are available as low as 28 teeth, which does not fit a 104 BCD.

flickr

Aug. 28, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

Spending $1500+ on gears is hard for most people! Especially when it's just re-hashed 100 year old technology.

BINGO. You hit the nail on the head. Please drive train engineers put your time and money into internal gear drive trains. The derailleur will always be the weak point on a mountain bike.

Aug. 28, 2012, 12:27 p.m.

(well built) internal gearhubs aren't a good business model when your company is based on producing goods that are replaced on a yearly basis (or more frequently). selling customers on a product that is more expensive as well as heavier is tough as well. value is only realized if you keep the bike longer than a couple years, and for many, it's hard to justify.

^^this

the accountants are not stupid, and my workshop makes good money replacing worn out transmissions

however, to get on board another "obsolete tech" this 1 x 11 is very exciting

I am currently riding 1 x 10 SRAM (33T front with 11-36T rear) and having lower gearing for steep, muddy climbs would be sweet, because I don't want to drop to 32T on the front ring (losing my fastest gear 33t x 11t)

Aug. 28, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

by the time this is released, someone will make an aftermarket 104 bcd ring that meshes with the 11sp chain. Or SRAM will if they're smart. It just won't go below 32t.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 28, 2012, 12:46 p.m.

Internal gears are much more complex, heavier and have too much internal friction. Never used one since the Sturmey Archer three and five speed days with a stick shift no less, but some say Rohloff hubs don't shift as well as a derailleur. If Rohloff hubs are so good why don't we see them being used more? Same with that two speed Truvativ Hammerschmitt?

It is impossible to make an internal geared system that has the same "gear friction" as a derailleur system. And if derailleurs are such old technology, why are they the predominant system?

Tell me this. When your Rohloff gears wear out, how easy and cheap is it to replace the gears? The chain drive and cogs will still wear out although I do think that one would get more use before needing to replace them.

I do think that the Rohloff is well suited to certain riding styles and the product is cool and has value.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.