NSMB Tests SRAM XX1 On the Trail

Aug. 28, 2012, 1:11 a.m.

Seb wrangled an S-Works Enduro with XX1 for an extended stay after Crankworx.

Words and photos here...

flickr

Aug. 28, 2012, 6:48 a.m.

to many words

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Aug. 28, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

to many words

*too

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:13 a.m.

This is exciting stuff. Great write-up Seb!

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:30 a.m.

I think there would have been more validity in this had it been done by a 1x skeptic rather than an 1x apologist :) love ya Seb! I've also read that in terms of gearing, dropping from mid-ring to granny while maintaining the rear position is actually less shifting that having to run through a range of gears on the rear cogs to get similar gearing, so it's not actually just one more click on the right as Seb was suggesting.

Interesting concept though and definitely nice to have the option out there. I'm personally a huge fan of my granny ring, especially while in the middle of 8 hour epics, or on the 3rd day of long days in the saddle where ones legs just don't have the punch of day 1…..everyone is different, everyone's style is different, so to say things like "it's all you need" is slightly disingenuous.

Good to see out of the box thinking though, and it's a huge testament to the technology to be able to run the system without a guide. The move towards clutch/type2/shadow+ der's and larger spread cassettes has been a huge boon for riders in my opinion, definitely has done a lot to improve drivetrain performance, and quiet things down!

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

My interest is definitely piqued. But all this talk about high price… just how high is it? Add the cost of a front der, shifter to the price of a rear der? I'd be sorta okay with that… I'd likely wait for the X9 version to come out. Slap a Straitline silent guide on there… I'd be on board.

Maybe next year.

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:43 a.m.

I think there would have been more validity in this had it been done by a 1x skeptic rather than an 1x apologist :) love ya Seb! I've also read that in terms of gearing, dropping from mid-ring to granny while maintaining the rear position is actually less shifting that having to run through a range of gears on the rear cogs to get similar gearing, so it's not actually just one more click on the right as Seb was suggesting.

Seb being able to push a 1X system isn't like a normal person pushing a 1X ;) I'm with you on the granny, although, the single ring system does make a lot of sense for suspension that's designed and optimised around a certain chain ring size (Most frames are designed around 32-34, making even 2x10 less than ideal).
I find with the old 22-32-44 chain rings, going between chain rings was the equivalent of a double shift on the rear derailleur, but on my hardtail I've been running 22-36, and that's more than a triple shift, and is a much better system overall (9 speed, not this fancy 10 speed nonsense).
On a short ride, I don't normally use my 22T, but on epics, like Flip said, that 22T becomes critical.

My interest is definitely piqued. But all this talk about high price… just how high is it? Add the cost of a front der, shifter to the price aof a rear der? I'd be sorta okay with that… I'd likely wait for the X9 version to come out. Slap a Straitline silent guide on there… I'd be on board.
Maybe next year.

My guess is that it's prohibitively expensive. Billet block CNC'd for 8 hours is hugely expensive. a quick Google search, shows that the current XX 10 speed cassette is around $400. Looks like the full SRAM XX drive train is around $1500 (Without brakes)

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:45 a.m.

Hey Flip,
The granny ring is still present on 11-speed, it is just disguised as a giant cog. It eradicates the overlap of gears that you get from from 2x or 3x but still giving you a pretty similar spread of gears. It certainly is enough gears for climbing and a 34/10 is plenty for "road riding" to the trails.
Don't be mistaken, this isn't just 1x. It distills the 20 or 30 gears down to just 11. The 11 most people need.
Of course, if you feel you really need more then SRAM are still producing it.
As for "8 hour epics" maybe they only take you eight hours because you are dawdling along in your granny ring. Love you Todd.

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

Hey Flip,
The granny ring is still present on 11-speed, it is just disguised as a giant cog. It eradicates the overlap of gears that you get from from 2x or 3x but still giving you a pretty similar spread of gears. It certainly is enough gears for climbing and a 34/10 is plenty for "road riding" to the trails.
Don't be mistaken, this isn't just 1x. It distills the 20 or 30 gears down to just 11. The 11 most people need.
As for "8 hour epics" maybe they only take you eight hours because you are dawdling along in your granny ring. Love you Todd.

maybe, I'd love to give it a go, but won't drop $1g+ to just try it out! and for what it's worth, I'm riding a lot more stuff in my middle ring more often this year, but I still like my granny! ;)

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

Hey Flip,

It would also be good to see the chainline on the extreme ends of the shifting.

My 22-34 granny is still slightly lower than the 28T chainring option, and the 28 would be too small for most riding as you would spin out too fast. I really do like the idea of the XX1, but it definitely isn't for everyone, and I don't think it's going to make the front derailleur redundant yet.

Aug. 28, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

I think the concept of a 1 X 11 has a lot of merit for many riders. But I wouldn't like to give up a low climbing gear for steep long climbs which if you use the 28 chain ring you don't, but then you may give up more big gear than you want. I seem to be able to tune my front derailleur to work just fine thanks. Not that I have not had chain suck recently with certain not Shimano chainrings. One of the reasons most road riders like the 10 or 11 speed cassettes is that they can get a decent range without too much jump between gears. I think that is less of an issue off road but it is still an issue particularly if you race. One thing I do really like with all these two ring and one ring systems is getting rid of the 44 or 42 ring which for me is a complete waste of time. 44 11 is too big for anything but downhill on smooth pavement as far as I am concerned. Smarter gear spreads are what I want with relatively small jumps between. I can see using this on my Nomad with a 28 ring. Less sure I would like it on my xc race bike which is a hardtail 29er.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:10 a.m.

what size chain ring were you running, seb? just trying to run some gear calculations for comparison….looks like a 30x42 comes out slightly higher than 24x36, but a 30 tooth ring is pretty tiny for anything faster and rolling I'd think….

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:22 a.m.

I was on 34. Some were on 32. 32 could be the one for absolutely any and all Flank climbs.

FYI Biggles, after getting back on the bike after three months I certainly have lost any of the strength I did have. Pushing my 29" with 32/36 was just about doable but not pleasant. It made me look at switching to 2x10 for sure. The 11-speed spread of 34/42-10 had me covered. Maybe that should help qualify.

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

I was on 34. Some were on 32. 32 could be the one for absolutely any and all Flank climbs.

FYI Biggles, after getting back on the bike after three months I certainly have lost any of the strength I did have. Pushing my 29" with 32/36 was just about doable but not pleasant. It made me look at switching to 2x10 for sure. The 11-speed spread of 34/42-10 had me covered. Maybe that should help qualify.

good info, muchos gracias

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

Let me start this by saying I am not an awesome climber…slow and steady and if I push too hard of a gear my legs give out pdq.

I run a 1x10 system with a 28 granny ring and a 11/36 in the rear and I can climb the steepest stuff…I am not a smasher, I like to sit and spin up the hill and this works great for that. The only time when I spin out is riding on the road…have yet to gear out with the 28-11 riding on the island. I think if I was some place smoother and faster I would need to change my gearing, but it works great for here.

If I went to sn 11 speed setup I would go to a 30 or 32t ring and do not think I would have any issues.

Change is hard for some people and these new drive-trains really point that out…haha.