NSMB Pokes The Bear

July 17, 2012, 11:39 p.m.

We're firing up a new way to get the discussion going. Poking The Bear. Quick articles that will be easy to read and engage with – and we hope you do.

The bear in question could be industry decisions, forum ranters, or even the media. Call us devil's advocates or trouble makers, but sometimes it pays to ask – even if the little voice in our heads tells us not to.

First up, we tackle a video that flew around the internet earlier this week, discussing some of the considerations and implications involved.

Poke the bear with us here...[

](http://nsmb.com/5391)

flickr

July 17, 2012, 11:50 p.m.

I'm sorry it's just too ugly for me to accept. I've whole heartedly accepted the short stem/wide bar idea, but that's a step too far. Even if it made me ride like Wade Simmons, I'm not interested if it requires wearing a paper bag over my head to conceal my identity…

Ride, don't slide.

July 18, 2012, 2:23 a.m.

reminds me of the Azonic "O" and the "Hammer" stem from back in the day!

Vinay Menon  |  Psynyde Bikes & Components

July 18, 2012, 2:30 a.m.

this is not new. Look no further than any 4x bike used as an AM platform with a 25 to 35mm stem and 710mm bars. 6" and 4.5" travel is the perfect mix, done and done. and the same geo as the article

July 18, 2012, 2:52 a.m.

I have to disagree with their claims of better weighting the front wheel. The longer front center results ina weight distribution that is closer to the rear wheel than the front… so front wheel weighting is actually reduced for same cockpit geometry. If also taking into acount the higher stack height, then this further moves your weight back. So personally I would say that was a false advertising claim.

The slight increase in stability is true, but the potential downside to that is that the longer wheelbase will result in a slightly less nimble handling.

I also wonder about the ergonomics of this on long days riding in the saddle. If you imagine your arms have a set length (I know this is not true for riding generally, but for long gentle non technical climbs it is not uncommon for people to ride with pretty straight arms), now imagine what it is like to gently steer with a regular 50-70mm all mountain stem, and with a 10mm stem, focusing on how your shoulders have to move, and how that will affect stability and comfort. You make the call on that aspect.

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

July 18, 2012, 6:33 a.m.

I think this article should have been titled:

NSMB points out a bear over there.

It's not like you've said it's better than every Specialized bike you've ever ridden - including the 29rs. That would be poking the bear.

July 18, 2012, 6:52 a.m.

Is it even worth discussing if no one here has ridden it,or is this just a soapbox for the fashion police?

Pastor of Muppets

July 18, 2012, 6:55 a.m.

The slight increase in stability is true, but the potential downside to that is that the longer wheelbase will result in a slightly less nimble handling.

and I think you can see that aspect in the vid of Fabian riding, to my mind it looks like the bike is long and a bit awkward, unless you have a particular riding style. for wide open alps style AM descending, maybe I can see it, but for the majority of the riding a lot of us do, tighter singletrack, steep climbs, etc, I just don't think it works as well….at least from my armchair perspective!

July 18, 2012, 8:43 a.m.

Is it even worth discussing if no one here has ridden it,or is this just a soapbox for the fashion police?

hey, unsubstantiated speculation, conjecture and general banter are the foundation of forum discourse! that's why we come here.

speaking of which (offtopic detour), i'm curious if this works - floating lower pivot (controlled by elastomer) giving an area wheelpath with the primary intent of absorbing square edge hits. neat:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/bicycle-fabrications-unwraps-new-suspension

July 18, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

WHOA….I didn't realize it was April 1st already….oh wait, it isnt…that is one FUGLY bike.

July 18, 2012, 10:03 a.m.

i would jump at the chance to try out that setup.

personally i think the geometry of mountain bikes still has a long way to evolve.

you guys also need to get over judging the validity of concept by how it looks.

July 18, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

Funny enough, just the other day I stumbled upon an Azonic direct mount stem in our warehouse. Time to test this one out.

July 18, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

I am trying to get used to the fugliness of this setup…Makes Magic Link look like normal.
With regard to ride quality, I immediately think of some really heinous switchbacks I rode at the end of a trail last weekend: http://imgur.com/8mrDO
They were so tight we had to walk a few of them. With this extra-long front-center, I just don't think that they would have been rideable at all. That's an extreme example, but I think it speaks to the limit of this design. I'll happily ride any bike anyone wants me to test, and I'll try to keep an open mind, but sheesh, this seems dicey. Seems like it'd only work well for big, wide open alpine descents.

RIde. Eat. Repeat.

July 18, 2012, 10:41 a.m.

To me how a bike or part looks is irrelevant. How it works is all that matters. A short or no length stem it seems is all about the down. What effect does an ultra short stem have on climbing? I suppose in theory if the riders position is the same and the bike is just longer, nothing. But a super short stem might create other fitting issues. On a small 29er for example, you won't be able to drop the bar enough or at all to fit short guys like me who have long arms. My current 29er HT for example I have a 75mm stem at -22 degrees with a flat bar. And the steer tube is as short as possible with a tapered steer tube. Love to try one and see for myself.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 18, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

To me how a bike or part looks is irrelevant. How it works is all that matters.

Conversely I am of the opinion that the rider is at least 90% of the equation so if something (like that Mongraker) is butt ugly, I wouldn't go near it.

treezz
wow you are a ass