Norco and Jay Hoots Poster Design Contest

April 13, 2012, 1:21 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2636791][LEFT] I'm not sure if it's bad taste, trying to appeal to a market with bad taste, or just plain cheap ass marketing budgets.

I think that's three separate nails that have been hit on the head.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

April 13, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

Sadly, you're probably right.

April 13, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

I agree. Make it for kids but put an age cap on it. When I see people asking for printing sizes in industry vernacular on their Facebook then I have to call bullshit.

As far as it is just a poster for kids so why get worked up question. It's not the size of the work that matters but the ripples in the water. More to the point, I've seen entire rebrands that have resulted from a simple banner ad.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

April 13, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

I am with Ape - Spec work is lame. Shame on Norco.

http://www.no-spec.com/faq/

April 13, 2012, 2:34 p.m.

I'm not on facebook, but if they're asking for crop marks and bleeds and a 300dpi cmyk image then they're probably off base. I'm guessing that's not the case, but let me know.

We're definitely on the same page as far as spec work being an issue, I just think it's a bit of a stretch to call this spec work and vilify Norco for it. Sure, it still makes ripples, everything does… but if as a professional artist the ripples from this are making it hard for you to swim, you probably should stick to the shallow end of the pool.

April 13, 2012, 2:59 p.m.

I think you whiners should STFU have a good hard look at yourselves. If you're worried that a newb can produce an equally effective piece of work to your "pro edition" for the price of a set of brakes then I'd hate to be paying you the big bucks. If not, what's the issue? How is it different to a photo contest or a poetry contest or any other creative contest for that matter? Get over it, enter or don't, the world will keep spinning.:ohthedrama:

Cheers Ben

April 13, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

Ltfu boys.
I might enter.

But ONLY if first signed off by you highbrows ;)-

I've Got an Angle *

April 13, 2012, 3:58 p.m.

I've Got an Angle *

I see the asterisk but no fine print… something's up.

April 13, 2012, 4:34 p.m.

I see the asterisk but no fine print… something's up.

Whoa Sherlock !!
Nothing is up, but I do own a Six SE and my nephew has attended Sprockids Fun Day since I can remember . . . five years maybe give or take a year (and he's built up a bit of a repore (sp?) with Jay as well).

If not you guys, it will be humbling being uptstaged by a 12 yr old with a fresh idea. No biggie.

April 13, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

Whoa Sherlock !!
Nothing is up, but I do own a Six SE and my nephew has attended Sprockids Fun Day since I can remember . . . five years maybe give or take a year (and he's built up a bit of a repore (sp?) with Jay as well).

If not you guys, it will be humbling being uptstaged by a 12 yr old with a fresh idea. No biggie.

No that's really tight man ideas are what run the advertising world. I didn't mean to sound like a weiner about it, I meant it more on a joke level.

April 13, 2012, 5:22 p.m.

. . . I meant it more on a joke level.

So did I.
Kinda.

April 13, 2012, 5:56 p.m.

Hey,is Ape that graphic designer who has that funny site with the emails about pie charts and lost cats?

Pastor of Muppets

April 13, 2012, 10:19 p.m.

Whoa Sherlock !!

Not at all. Advertising needs a new child prodigy or two to shake things up. Make sure he charges a full billable rate.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

April 13, 2012, 10:56 p.m.

Jeez…I hope they never put on a colouring contest…..

Pastor of Muppets

April 14, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

Not at all. Advertising needs a new child prodigy or two to shake things up. Make sure he charges a full billable rate.

Who are you kidding ?
A child prodigy that spent ( from age 6 to 8 ) getting a handle on the subtle use of text/type then the next 4 years learning to incorporate into a design.

The winner will be a once in a lifetime fluke if you ask me.

edit: unless pros enter.
Investing time and effort and hoping for future work with all associated.