Norco and Jay Hoots Poster Design Contest

April 10, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

Norco and Hootie want to hook you up with a new set of XT brakes and a signed jersey (dreadlocks optional).

Find out how you can enter here...

flickr

April 10, 2012, 11:44 p.m.

:woot: no more guest posts!

With all the current submissions currently entered being at my photo shop skill level this might be worth entering..

April 11, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

You guy should provide a bunch of photos of Jay. Would make it a little more fair.

April 11, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

Photos from Margus Riga are available for the contest HERE.

flickr

April 11, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

Ya know how people always say "Jesus H. Christ?" Well the "H" is for "Hoots."

Wrong. Always.

April 11, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

The poster would need some 60s or 70s rastafarian color scheme or stars.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 12, 2012, 10:39 a.m.

How much longer is it until companies do all of their design work via contest rather than pay a graphic artist?

April 12, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

How much longer is it until companies do all of their design work via contest rather than pay a graphic artist?

That bubble might pop once companies become aware of how bad all their collateral media communicates their brand message… and looks.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

April 12, 2012, 10:47 p.m.

first off, I don't post very much any more but this is one of those times I am going to shoot my mouth off.

This contest and those like it are the most disgusting things on the planet to graphic designers like myself who have spent decades cultivating their skill only to see it marginalized. Did Boeing ask model plane hobbyists to design the 777? Did you ask your friend who has watched all 16 seasons of ER to operate on your mother?

On the other hand, this contest is a celebration of riding and man who has done at shit load to grow our sport. Jay, you're awesome but I wish this contest was more about asking people to thank you for being Jay Hoots - ambassador of awesome.

I challenge Norco to find a way to do this in an original way rather than serving up an example of crowd sourcing. This idea is just a rehash of a really old idea that even at the time was the cheapest(not in the $$$ way), easiest, lamest way to engage consumers. Think about this: all the fans that participated in the star wars remix on youtube did it for honest reasons and not because there was an incentive.

Normally, I would provide a more detailed solution rather than shit talking but I get paid to do that and I don't give my ideas away for free. Oh wait, I did give you one but that one is for Jay.

Edit:
Just so I am not hiding behind a username and avatar. My name is Dave Smith and my email is [email protected]. If anyone at Norco has issue with what I've said please contact me.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

April 12, 2012, 11:35 p.m.

NSMB.com needs more posts from Ape….

April 12, 2012, 11:39 p.m.

It's just a poster, not plane design or an operation on my Mum. Something made by the kids, for the kids!

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 13, 2012, 8:09 a.m.

It's just a poster, not plane design or an operation on my Mum. Something made by the kids, for the kids!

Sure, if that is the case I could get behind it if they were to cap the contest at 12-14 years old. But they aren't doing that are they? This is just user generated spec work.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

April 13, 2012, 10:25 a.m.

first off, I don't post very much any more but this is one of those times I am going to shoot my mouth off.

This contest and those like it are the most disgusting things on the planet to graphic designers like myself who have spent decades cultivating their skill only to see it marginalized. Did Boeing ask model plane hobbyists to design the 777? Did you ask your friend who has watched all 16 seasons of ER to operate on your mother?

On the other hand, this contest is a celebration of riding and man who has done at shit load to grow our sport. Jay, you're awesome but I wish this contest was more about asking people to thank you for being Jay Hoots - ambassador of awesome.

I challenge Norco to find a way to do this in an original way rather than serving up an example of crowd sourcing. This idea is just a rehash of a really old idea that even at the time was the cheapest(not in the $$$ way), easiest, lamest way to engage consumers. Think about this: all the fans that participated in the star wars remix on youtube did it for honest reasons and not because there was an incentive.

Normally, I would provide a more detailed solution rather than shit talking but I get paid to do that and I don't give my ideas away for free. Oh wait, I did give you one but that one is for Jay.

Edit:
Just so I am not hiding behind a username and avatar. My name is Dave Smith and my email is [email protected]. If anyone at Norco has issue with what I've said please contact me.

Oh Snap…

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

April 13, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

wtf is this????? Are you agreeing with Ape or mocking him?

Well said Dave. It's good to see someone stand up for their craft.

April 13, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

Ape, I am right there with you as a professional artist who is continually unimpressed by the mtb industry's diy approach to art, design and graphics. The industry is totally bush league when it comes to design, for the most part. I'm not sure if it's bad taste, trying to appeal to a market with bad taste, or just plain cheap ass marketing budgets.

That being said, this contest seems to be more of a "for the kids" kinda thing. Is it helping the industry grow artistically? Probably not. Is it a bit cheap and corny, hell yeah. But it's a giveaway poster for Jay Hoots, they're not outsourcing their 2013 graphics or anything.

"Norco will pick the best designs and post them to our Facebook Page then pick our favorite concept and apply it to a poster" makes me think that someone on Norco's end is going to be tasked with laying out little Timmy's MS Paint Jay Hoots poster before they send it to the printer.

I'd say the Rockshox Totem graphic from last year was a far worse example.