New NSMB Front Page

March 3, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

Hey All,

You may have noticed that we just rolled out a major update to the front page. Our main intent was to create a responsive structure to make for a quality reading and viewing experience across all platforms, with the additional benefit that it will facilitate future design updates. Check out the new site on your phone or tablet and you'll see what we mean – it's super slick.

We've made the article width wider by over 300 pixels if your screen is wide enough to accommodate it. This makes me personally quite happy as I love seeing my photos displayed at higher resolution. Some existing articles are going to have oddly sized images in them, but we've been able to code out that problem for the majority of recent articles. With all articles moving forward we'll have images resized properly for the new width, still with the clickable 1600px full res behind.

After the kinks are worked out, our next programming task will be working on updating the commenting system. Rest assured we will not be going to a full Facebook integrated system, but we are exploring the option of allowing people to log in with their Facebook account to comment on front page articles. There was already a discussion here with some thoughts on that topic.

As with any major programming work, there are still some bugs to work out – and we'd really appreciate it if you would report back here if you see anything that seems out of place. Screen grabs are especially helpful.

Thanks, from the crew at NSMB.

(And huge props to Norman for pulling off the task of getting the new site live without any major disruptions.)

flickr

March 3, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

howdy to you too pardner.

looks good, other than I'm gonna miss "the board", and it still only takes up 2/3 of my screen width.

March 3, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

2/3 of my screen width.

That's surely better than 1/3!

flickr

March 3, 2014, 8:49 p.m.

What will the Facebook link on the board do? I'm curious.

Ride, don't slide.

March 3, 2014, 10:17 p.m.

Hi jack…2014 Bro Card?

March 3, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

I'm having fun swiping the banners on my phone

:japan:

March 3, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

Comment system has been updated. Those of you who have been having trouble with the old system, give it a try. Also, you can now comment using your Facebook account. FB comments show up separately at the bottom, and are not synced to FB unless you check the box. Please try out the new features and let us know how it goes.

What will the Facebook link on the board do? I'm curious.

Apparently you can now sign in to the board using a Facebook account. Not sure about the operation beyond that yet.

Hi jack…2014 Bro Card?

We're working on that! Hoping to have it wrapped before the Vancouver Bike Show this weekend. Will keep you posted here.

flickr

March 4, 2014, 12:35 a.m.

I seem to have what looks like a chat icon next to my user name (after linking facebook accounts). I've clicked on it but it just keeps loading. Anyone have success opening this?

March 4, 2014, 4:43 a.m.

Diggin' the new look. Nice!

March 4, 2014, 6:33 a.m.

I seem to have what looks like a chat icon next to my user name (after linking facebook accounts). I've clicked on it but it just keeps loading. Anyone have success opening this?

That chat balloon icon is for WordPress notifications, e.g., if someone follows your WP blog, leaves a comment to one of your blog posts, or replies to one of your comments, likes a page or post … stuff like that.

March 4, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

Ah I see. Thanks! I thought it would be some fancy new thing where forum members could chat with each other

March 12, 2014, 3:43 p.m.

how do you edit or delete your post if you comment to a front page article?

so what would happen if a started up my "I love chunder" thread again? with something like 100 pages of angry replies before I was asked to delete it

March 18, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Why do I need to login to a wordpress account to post a comment on an NSMB article?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 18, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

Dear NSMB "Forum",

I never thought anything like this would happen to me. I was riding the Baden Powell one hot summer afternoon, and came upon two twins who had flatted. What they lacked in the tool and mechanical know-how department, they certainly made up for with their…

snip

It was my best dual suspension ride in the forest, EVER!

March 18, 2014, 9:31 p.m.

I am logged in and can post on the board. Why do I have to login to the big "W" to post on the front page?