New Features on NSMB

Dec. 5, 2012, 9:02 p.m.

We’ve recently completed some long-anticipated back end changes here at NSMB. We are very excited about the potential of our new system and look forward to upping both the visual quality and interactive nature of the site.

Last week we rolled out the first phase of a new inline commenting system on our front page. It is not yet complete, but the goal is to bring better reader interaction and social media integration. Your NSMB BB account will still allow you to post comments on articles, but you can also leave a comment without being logged in if you so choose.

We’re also excited to introduce some formatting updates that vastly improve the visual quality of our content – this has already begun with a new pop-out viewer allowing article images to be enjoyed in high res. Our plans don't stop with what you've seen so far, and as with the commenting system, we'll be introducing changes in phases.

Along with the new back end will come the occasional hiccup; we are working through the bugs, and appreciate your patience. If you find any problems using NSMB on a particular browser or device, please do let us know by leaving a comment here, or sending a PM or an email to myself at [email protected].

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. We appreciate your input!

flickr

Dec. 5, 2012, 10:16 p.m.

Is there an app for that?

Dec. 5, 2012, 10:38 p.m.

What happened to Freeride extreme tag line, I'm not interested in bikes unless it's extreme

Dec. 5, 2012, 10:53 p.m.

What happened to Freeride extreme tag line, I'm not interested in bikes unless it's extreme

Guilty as charged. I can only laugh looking back at that, and as soon as I figured out how to change it, I did.

flickr

Dec. 6, 2012, 2:17 p.m.

Not trying to whine, just simply throwing out a potential problem on a specific browser.
The Pacific Northwest Vimeo video embedded in the Yeti article this morning will not give me the option to do anything except play or pause by clicking on the video. I wanted to watch it full screen. I was using Firefox.
The Mike Kinrade video posted the day before does let me go full screen and go directly to it's vimeo page and like it and skip ahead and adjust the volume, like all videos previous to the Yeti video would let me do though.

Dec. 6, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

That is actually an issue with how Yeti set the permissions on the Vimeo embed. I tried to get the player controls to show up but they've got it defaulting to just the play button.

flickr

Jan. 22, 2013, 1:13 p.m.

Last week we rolled out the first phase of a new inline commenting system on our front page. It is not yet complete, but the goal is to bring better reader interaction and social media integration. Your NSMB BB account will still allow you to post comments on articles, but you can also leave a comment without being logged in if you so choose.

When we comment on an article on the main page, are we subscribed to the article for for other comments?

Or do we keep having to check back to the article?

Feb. 23, 2013, 7:05 a.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]crickets[HTML_REMOVED]

Feb. 23, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

I've got a list of requests for the programming nerds that is being ticked off as time allows. In the meantime, feel free to continue letting us know if you have any suggestions. Front page comments have increased in the past while, but I agree that the ability to subscribe should help quite a bit.

flickr

June 4, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

When we comment on an article on the main page, are we subscribed to the article for for other comments?

Or do we keep having to check back to the article?

I've not commented on any of the main article postings until today, I posted on the Naked Cycles article.

I wanted to go back and see what else was posted after I posted…the new system kinda sucks.

Are you guys happy with the new commenting structure? Sure the old one had some run away threads that got out of hand, but I feel it was better than what is currently in use.

June 4, 2013, 3:24 p.m.

Disqus is pretty popular and works well. Seems to be on every other site I use these days too

viperfunk.com

June 5, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Hope to keep seeing more changes. For the last few years I've felt like nsmb has been continuously falling behind other mtb sites. Well the plethora of hormone spiked teenagers has kept me away from some, I've wondered what the future for the site will be. It's about time.

June 7, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

I have also found a lack of original content on nsmb these days. Most of the daily articles are just links to the same web videos as everyone else, except usually a day later. Seems like there used to be a lot more gear reviews, original articles and shore relevant stuff to read every day. Don't get me wrong I still like NSMB and visit daily, but the forum pages seem to be more relevant than the front page most days of the week.

June 7, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

Maybe we are all just fed up with bike videos in general, not just on NSMB? I, for one, don't care much for them anymore (the "Ultramontane" and "hey neighbor" series being exceptions).

I visit the site daily, even though i don't live in BC, or even Canada for that matter. I come here for the spirit and the general no-nonsense approach tho the sport and, well, life as well (hello NBR!). I agree that this "spirit" is clearly more apparent on the boards than on the front page. How to achieve its transition to the front page? I don't know. All i can say is that when I see a "NSMB production" logo on a movie on the front page, I watch it. Otherwise, I navigate directly to the boards.

Hope this feedback helps.

June 7, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

Was hoping for more info on the UCI DH1 in Fort William. I went to the Red Bull site for it.

Thread killer