Mud was invented in Belgium

Feb. 12, 2007, 11:13 p.m.

im going to belgium in april and if I see lots of spandex, v brakes and NO body armer, 45 lb bikes then I will……. be on vacation and I will…..drink another beer.

if you are into old towns and cities, make sure to check out Spa in the Ardennes.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 13, 2007, 2:13 a.m.

I feel like this article ended up on some Belgian MTB website…

This is your birthday pony.

Feb. 13, 2007, 5:30 a.m.

Hi,
I'm from belgium too and David's story has al lot of truth in it. But there is a small fraction of people that ride big bikes. There's not much sense of buying a big bike in Belgium unless you want to take it to place like Winterberg in Germany, Portes du Soleil in France or 7 Stanes in Scotland. That's what most of the guys (and a couple of girls too) do with their big bikes.
Once the mud has dried up, there's a lot of fun to have in the Ardennes in the southern part of Belgium. We're riding "toertochten" there nearly every weekend from March till November. And if you hit the region of Eupen, Malmedy, Banneux etc. there's always a lot of fun to have. Watch out for the Challenge GHF, their rides are well organised.
If you understand a little dutch, most of the gravity crowd resides at http://www.dirty-pages.net
Ciao,
dmx

Feb. 26, 2007, 6:57 a.m.

Here are some pics taken from Google Picture Search…see the attachments.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 28, 2007, 12:54 p.m.

OK, I'm from that small, divided yet united country in the center of Europe. I thought the article was a good summary of Belgian mountain bike culture. Not 100[HTML_REMOVED]#37; accurate, but mostly.
However…I am not one of those bikers David talked about. I ride a Kona Stinky, and I ride it everywhere. Up, down, technical, flat, city, … Why? Because I like it, that's why, and because I don't mind the extra weight and bobbing going up. I mean, someone who enjoys climbing should enjoy the extra training no? It's like swim training in oil instead of water. Boy will you be fast once you hit the water.
Also, I don't have the budget to have more than one bike ( although I do have more than one, but that's a different story altogether ) and I like my bike to do everything, being able to take it to the Alps and wherever.

@Bert from Leuven : dude, I live in Leuven too. Misschien kennen we elkaar van ziens. Mail me if you want to go riding sometime.