Money Shot BroCard winner - Week four closed.

March 28, 2008, 1:11 a.m.

I chose a few shots I liked - for entirely random criteria. Only one wins a BroCard and a T Shirt though.

Click here to see my choices.

March 28, 2008, 9:19 a.m.

Yay…..I got a mention.

A little more background on this one:

I was up in the Chilcotin working with Radical Films last week and was a bit bored waiting for the crew to get down from the sage. I ran into some locals out for a rip and we were just shootin the shit at the bottom of the run when I saw the moon just pop out from behind some mist right over a piece of trail. It promptly disappeared and I was like, "Bummer, that would have been a great shot."

About 2 minutes later, there it was again. So I made Zack run up the hill and get some kind of action going. He's totally out of breath there, and his feet are barely on the pedals. It would have been cool to get some real action with that light, but the moon went back into the mist in another 30 seconds (you can sort of see the grey there) and the sun went down about 4 minutes later.

The next day, the moon rose later and wasn't visible until after sunset.

So it really is a once or twice a year kind of shot, and even that would depend on weather working out for you.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

March 28, 2008, 9:33 a.m.

Which athletes was Bj[HTML_REMOVED]#248;rn working with Johnny?

March 28, 2008, 9:39 a.m.

Romo, Jimbits (James Doerfling), Rennie, and Bryceland.

I've got some amusing video clips of the foreigners walking on a frozen pond for their first time. Oh, and Rennie dancing to Footloose….

March 28, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

Romo, Jimbits (James Doerfling), Rennie, and Bryceland.

I've got some amusing video clips of the foreigners walking on a frozen pond for their first time. Oh, and Rennie dancing to Footloose….

The Seggys are looking sick!!!

www.thecoastalcrew.com

March 28, 2008, 9:57 a.m.

I just have a few comments about cam's pics for this week. First, I think Sterling's comments were amazing on his decisions for the week. The other judges have been good as well, but just the level of detail that sterling went into I think greatly benefitted many aspiring photographers. I do have some issues with the foreground bandwagon that everyone is jumping on lately. Way too many formulaic put a branch in the front to frame your shot. I think it doesn't show a real sense of creativity. As for Cam's pics, the first one has good action, but the bad middle of day light, with the blown out sky in the background detract a lot from this shot. as well, the second rider doesn't do anything for the shot, actually just looks like someone standing there, so i think it would be better without them there. As well, the rider is in the middle vertically, so i think it would have worked better if they shifted over to the left a little and moved the rider higher up in the frame. This would let you see more of the trail/landing area as you can't see any of the trail above anyway. The style of the rider is very good, but utilizing better light and cleaning up the composition would help out alot. The second shot, the rider is dead center again, and the action is lacking quite a bit. Watching someone ride slowly up a bridge from behind doesn't exactly stoke the fire, but it does give a nice sense of the forest and remind me of riding. The contrast looks a little harsh again, so maybe a different time of day would get rid of some of that harsh light. I think the rider coming down instead of going up would be better, or perhaps shot from the other direction so you could see some facial determination. The last shot i think is great with the different elements of lighting and the moon you just don't get that setup all the time. But once again with the action, if the rider wasn't almost stationary, but ripping down that section a little further i think this shot would have been better. Sterling made a good point about mountain biking always looking slow on pictures, so getting the dust flying, jersey rippling in the wind to add the notion of speed could have made this a winner. Just my opinions, can't wait for next week.

www.travelswithtyler.com

March 28, 2008, 10:34 a.m.

Yay…..I got a mention.

awesome shot Smoke. i love the little dog on the riders heels.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

March 28, 2008, 11:16 a.m.

Im sorry, but wtf is up with the judging in this round? no offence to the shooters that won, the shots are quite nice, but the shots aren't competition winners, and compared to some of the other shots in the contest the winning picks sucked ass. sorry.

lost a lot of respect for the comp this week…

I know im ranting, but I just think for a photo contest of such stature the judging was awful. the other weeks had good picks, but the picks this week had nothing really in them.

sorrry

March 28, 2008, 12:44 p.m.

Hey Cam, thanks…I'm the bonus winner. Very psyched! To those with the constructive criticism, you're pretty spot on (if not a bit cranky). Like Cam said, I've learned a ton just hearing how the judges assess everyones shots. For what it's worth, I've been doing this totally on the side for less than a year with basically no prior photo experience, so I'm a total noob and learning tons every day. I spent some time setting this one up, but it was tricky b/c I was shooting with a prime 50mm lens so my feet had to do all the work-in the end this was prob the best spot I could get for the composition I wanted. Greg and Khristian train so damn tight I was hoping to get them both in the air, but that's just how it came out with K's head in the background. Super sweet trails those two are building down there, even with the ghetto stunts!

March 28, 2008, 12:52 p.m.

Im sorry, but wtf is up with the judging in this round? no offence to the shooters that won, the shots are quite nice, but the shots aren't competition winners, and compared to some of the other shots in the contest the winning picks sucked ass. sorry.

I know im ranting, but I just think for a photo contest of such stature the judging was awful. the other weeks had good picks, but the picks this week had nothing really in them.

sorrry

Umm, the winners won't be chosen until Monday. The pics up are Cam's personal bonus picks. Ease back on the caffeine a bit and wait to see Fergs choices.

March 28, 2008, 12:55 p.m.

Hey - I think you misunderstood.

That wasn't judging for the round nor was it meant to be the 'best photos' necessarily. The bonus is done after the winners have already been chosen. It's sort of a second selection that doesn't include the winning shots.

Maybe I should have made that more clear but the actual winning shots for Money Shot Week four will be announced on Monday - chosen by David Ferguson.

Does that clear it up? This wasn't meant to be judging in the usual sense. I just chose some pics I liked for fairly random reasons.

Hope we've regained your respect. ;)

sorrry

Umm, the winners won't be chosen until Monday. The pics up are Cam's personal bonus picks. Ease back on the caffeine a bit and wait to see Fergs choices.

Thanks Dave.

March 28, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

Nice work winning the Bro-Card, Courtney! Your shooting has definitely been getting really good, really fast. I can't wait to see more of your pics.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

March 28, 2008, 1:05 p.m.

The last shot i think is great with the different elements of lighting and the moon you just don't get that setup all the time. But once again with the action, if the rider wasn't almost stationary, but ripping down that section a little further i think this shot would have been better.

Agreed. It's not a moneyshot, more of a loose change shot. Shoulda, coulda, woulda……

March 28, 2008, 2:23 p.m.

Nicely done, CBX! ;)

To quote Chase………Greg and Khristian ride like their wheels are bungied together!

March 28, 2008, 2:37 p.m.

Agreed. It's not a moneyshot, more of a loose change shot. Shoulda, coulda, woulda……

sorry, i'm not trying to be a dick. i think all these shots were very good, and that's why cam picked them. I was just trying to give some constructive tips about how next time given a similar situation, things could be improved. that's how we all get better. I would also suggest people spend some time over on the wheelsandwax website to get some real good critiques on action photography to improve on their shots, or to get some honest feedback/technique questions answered.

www.travelswithtyler.com