MEATengines 2022...

Dec. 19, 2022, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Blofeld

If your bb is threaded you could always switch up the spacers and offset the whole crank to move the chainline. I understand this idea would be offensive to some, but I don’t think it would be noticeable.

I've got one DS spacer installed so I'll just swap it to the other side and grab that 7.5mm offset chainring. That'll move the ring over a few millimeters. 

I don't think changing axles buys me anything once I have the DS part of the crank up against the BB. 

The next move would be to reconfigure the cassette by removing some cogs from the small end and put them behind the larger cogs. Effective pushing the cassette outwards in exchange for losing some gear options.

I've shifted BB spacers over to the NDS and removed a cassette cog to space it out. Both changes worked out well and helped improve my chainline  significantly.

Dec. 19, 2022, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

I've shifted BB spacers over to the NDS and removed a cassette cog to space it out. Both changes worked out well and helped improve my chainline significantly.

Definitely. I'm lazy so I'll do one thing at a time until I get to a point where it's not annoying me.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 19, 2022, 6:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 19, 2022, 8 p.m.

Posted by: kcy4130

Re frame not being damaged from car hit: Impacts conserve momentum, so the car's momentum before equals the sum of car and you/bike momentum after. So unless your bike was up against something immovable, inertia (and possibly brake force if you happened to be holding them at the time) is the only things resisting you/bike being accelerated forward by the impact. You and your bike's inertia are not huge relative to the strength of your bike. What I'm saying is that no frame damage is plausible depending on the circumstances.

It’s hard to refute any of this take! Thinking about this another way, a bike is designed explicitly to deal with impacts through the wheels. The order of which component failure should occur in a well spec’d system under this normal impact mode is tire->rim sidewall->wheel->dropout->frame. So sure, getting hit by a car in precisely the right way might be less damaging than, say, a big huck to flat.

Without seeing the incident I have no idea how ‘normal’ the impact may have been. It’s interesting to think about, though!

——

I heard a stat through an insurance agent that auto policies are basically all money losers at this point. There’s so much distracted driving happening that the claims are non-stop. Fancy as Andrew’s bike is, I’m sure it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than a backup camera and rear end on a Maserati.

Dec. 19, 2022, 8:35 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: cooperquinn

Road safety is a shared responsibility, Endurimil.

That is the dogma. But reality proven time and again is more this.....Want to get away with murder in Canada? Drive a vehicle.

Unfortunately, that's absolutely true. Biggest killer of kids over five in North America, and we just shrug.

Dec. 20, 2022, 7:41 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

It’s hard to refute any of this take! Thinking about this another way, a bike is designed explicitly to deal with impacts through the wheels. The order of which component failure should occur in a well spec’d system under this normal impact mode is tire->rim sidewall->wheel->dropout->frame. So sure, getting hit by a car in precisely the right way might be less damaging than, say, a big huck to flat.

Without seeing the incident I have no idea how ‘normal’ the impact may have been. It’s interesting to think about, though!

——

I heard a stat through an insurance agent that auto policies are basically all money losers at this point. There’s so much distracted driving happening that the claims are non-stop. Fancy as Andrew’s bike is, I’m sure it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than a backup camera and rear end on a Maserati.

Getting rear ended would be like a huge huck to flat landing vertically with front tire above rear tire. Not exactly what bikes are designed for, but you still make a good point. Many moons ago my dh bike fell from a chairlift about 35ft and landed like this. The hook on the side of the chair lift broke. Some of the pivots were a ovalized a tiny amount and rear wheel tacoed but otherwise fine.

Andrew is all bruised up so it must have been a pretty hard hit. I mean it is somewhat surprising the frame wasn't damaged, but it's not inconceivable. Also, it's a sturdy mountain bike, if it'd been a cheap and cheerful commuter or a featherweight road bike it'd be a different story.

Last edited by: kcy4130 on Dec. 20, 2022, 7:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2022, 8:02 a.m.

"If your bb is threaded you could always switch up the spacers and offset the whole crank to move the chainline. I understand this idea would be offensive to some, but I don’t think it would be noticeable."

No issues after doing this- moving the crank inwards by 3 mm in order to get a slightly better chainline when in the big sprockets.

Dec. 20, 2022, 1:06 p.m.

Cool Kids Commuters - Why not just do a wheel swap on the Marin?  Or build up an old 26er as a commuter.

Dec. 20, 2022, 3:26 p.m.

That is the dogma. But reality proven time and again is more this.....Want to get away with murder in Canada? Drive a vehicle.

Unfortunately, that's absolutely true. Biggest killer of kids over five in North America, and we just shrug.

Funny... this was shared on a lawyer I knows FB page this morning.

https://www.vox.com/23462548/allison-hart-pedestrian-deaths-suvs-deadliest-roads?fbclid=IwAR0kl7ChIiarvjGfld7-Dy4ezPqnxouUntkVWf5gvEemLmbmPbR8I6ivBtQ

Dec. 20, 2022, 3:31 p.m.

On a more fun thing since a frame is on its way. Was digging through the parts bins and discovered this older headset parts. No idea how I got it. Think given in 2019. That is an FSA Big Pig lower headset for I believe the lower part of tapered head tubes. Yes ball bearings. Sadly, that crown race is only for 1 1/8". For a moment thought maybe getting it machined out would work but probably thesame cost as a cheap lower headset parts.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 20, 2022, 4:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2022, 4:06 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Cool Kids Commuters - Why not just do a wheel swap on the Marin? Or build up an old 26er as a commuter.

Have look at a couple old 26’er frames but they’re still too big.

My main motivator isn’t not having non-mountain bike tires - I ride all over on MTB rubber - but rather having a more replaceable & less desirable machine to lock up places like her school. Rigid forks immediately make your bike less desirable for theft. Might as well be fenderfied and more efficient on pavement as well.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Dec. 20, 2022, 4:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 20, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

https://www.vox.com/23462548/allison-hart-pedestrian-deaths-suvs-deadliest-roads?fbclid=IwAR0kl7ChIiarvjGfld7-Dy4ezPqnxouUntkVWf5gvEemLmbmPbR8I6ivBtQ

That’s a heartbreaking personal tragedy. That tiny ghost bike - holy fuck.

And then there’s this:

pedestrian deaths have been rising for more than a decade. Between 2010 and 2020, they rose by 54 percent. Among cyclists, they rose 50 percent. Contained within the statistics are countless human tragedies

And sure, it’s a US stat but somehow I doubt we’re much better here in Canuckistan.

Clearly drivers are more distracted, feeling more rushed, and driving bigger vehicles with worse blind spots. None of that is l in debate?

Part of the solution is of course cyclist/pedestrian education & personal responsibility. What we wear, routes we choose, flashing lights - f*** the potential ticket, I’ll be up on the sidewalk next time I’m waiting for a light where I was hit. 

But it’s also clear, as Niels noted, that infrastructure needs to be changed to protect more vulnerable users.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Dec. 20, 2022, 4:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2022, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

That’s a heartbreaking personal tragedy. That tiny ghost bike - holy fuck.

And then there’s this:

pedestrian deaths have been rising for more than a decade. Between 2010 and 2020, they rose by 54 percent. Among cyclists, they rose 50 percent. Contained within the statistics are countless human tragedies

And sure, it’s a US stat but somehow I doubt we’re much better here in Canuckistan.

Clearly drivers are more distracted, feeling more rushed, and driving bigger vehicles with worse blind spots. None of that is l in debate?

Part of the solution is of course cyclist/pedestrian education & personal responsibility. What we wear, routes we choose, flashing lights - f*** the potential ticket, I’ll be up on the sidewalk next time I’m waiting for a light where I was hit.

But it’s also clear, as Niels noted, that infrastructure needs to be changed to protect more vulnerable users.

Andrew, as I mentioned before. Will ride the sidewalk as being judged by twelve is better than being carried by six.

Funny thing is my Attorney agrees with that position.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 20, 2022, 9:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2022, 11:54 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: fartymarty

Cool Kids Commuters - Why not just do a wheel swap on the Marin? Or build up an old 26er as a commuter.

Have look at a couple old 26’er frames but they’re still too big.

My main motivator isn’t not having non-mountain bike tires - I ride all over on MTB rubber - but rather having a more replaceable & less desirable machine to lock up places like her school. Rigid forks immediately make your bike less desirable for theft. Might as well be fenderfied and more efficient on pavement as well.

You know the solution is a full set of Mudhuggers.   As you have proved it instantly makes your bike thiefproof ;)

School - we leave a lock at school.  But I get your point.  My Murmur is never going anywhere near town even if locked with a NYC K lock.

Isla Bikes do some cool kids commuters but they aint cheap.  Frog Bikes also do and are a bit more reasonable.  Maybe there's an opportunity for you to become an importer...

Dec. 20, 2022, 11:56 p.m.

Endurimil - I'll happily ride the footpath and take the ticket if I don't feel safe on the road.  My kids always ride the footpath.

Dec. 21, 2022, 1:35 a.m.

On a more fun thing since a frame is on its way. Was digging through the parts bins and discovered this older headset parts. No idea how I got it. Think given in 2019. That is an FSA Big Pig lower headset for I believe the lower part of tapered head tubes. Yes ball bearings. Sadly, that crown race is only for 1 1/8". For a moment thought maybe getting it machined out would work but probably thesame cost as a cheap lower headset parts.

Find a frame to put it in! 

I have a 5 Spot frame with a Pig DH Pro, it's tight and smooth. Only pity is it doesn't get ridden.