MEATengines 2022...

Oct. 29, 2022, 9:34 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Prog-Fat Update

I saw one of the Kruch/Inside Line fatbikes in person recently and thought I’d post it here as the collaborators were mentioned in the August 1st post.

Kruch Tauntaun

What really caught my eye is that the chainstay and seatstay yokes are made additively from 316L SS. Seems to keep the rear wheel really tucked in there, if you’re into that kind of thing.

I saw those too! $5k+ pricing complete makes it inline with what you would pay for a similar spec Salsa or whatever. Looks like a decent choice.

Oct. 29, 2022, 6:16 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Trumps - assume that's Tony Doyle.  A couple of riding mates did a coaching session with him and really enjoyed it.

Yep that's the Tony. I've been to that spot a couple of times circa 2005 and was scared poo-less just walking on some of that stuff ha ha.

Oct. 29, 2022, 6:17 p.m.

This should be interesting experiment wise and not dull at all.  Tomorrows project switching the Stylus from a 45mm rise Chromag bars to this.

Never ride dull bikes and always be willing to experiment to avoid riding miserable.

Oct. 30, 2022, 3:29 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

This should be interesting experiment wise and not dull at all.  Tomorrows project switching the Stylus from a 45mm rise Chromag bars to this.

Never ride dull bikes and always be willing to experiment to avoid riding miserable.

Is that a Surly Sunrise bar?  If so damn are they stiff but such a good shape.  Had mine on the rigid for a while - maybe I need to try on the HT again.

Oct. 30, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Is that a Surly Sunrise bar?  If so damn are they stiff but such a good shape.  Had mine on the rigid for a while - maybe I need to try on the HT again.

Yes it is the Surly Sunrise bar. Expect them to be stiff.  And is a very early birthday present to myself .

Oct. 30, 2022, 12:26 p.m.

Endurimil - IIRC they were fine on the HT.  They do look damn cool tho.

Oct. 30, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Yep that's the Tony. I've been to that spot a couple of times circa 2005 and was scared poo-less just walking on some of that stuff ha ha.

I'd definitely be wearing my brown trousers as well

Oct. 30, 2022, 4:33 p.m.

Yes it is the Surly Sunrise bar. Expect them to be stiff.  And is a very early birthday present to myself .

Wow - a full-width alt bar! That’s a bit of a rarity. Chromoly though…was that thing designed for polo? Bullfights perhaps? 😆 What a unit! 

I’d like to try something with more backsweep after my minimum stem length experiment. Enjoy.

Oct. 30, 2022, 4:49 p.m.

I can't ride anything that stiff anymore, but I am on a rigid fork. The shape is excellent though.

Oct. 30, 2022, 7:08 p.m.

If you like the Sunrise bar, you’d love the moto bar I’ve put on a couple of bikes (also available without the brace)

https://fortnine.ca/en/emgo-7-8in-scrambles-handlebar-chrome-23-92400

Oct. 30, 2022, 8:12 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

I can't ride anything that stiff anymore, but I am on a rigid fork. The shape is excellent though.

Have an old DMR Wingbar in Cro-mo had dug out of the parts pile to try to see about bar height. Didn't really notice the stiffness with a suspension fork.  And zero plans to ride with out one in the future on trails.  Haven't trimmed the bars yet down from their 820mm width till get a feel for this style bar.

Oct. 31, 2022, 2:21 p.m.

I had this community on Reddit suggested to me when talking with someone about my franken-commuter-bin-bike I posted a while ago. It is very MEAT-esque and maybe some of you will enjoy. Less capable than a mountainbike, slower than a road bike, they call it Xbiking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xbiking/

Oct. 31, 2022, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

If you like the Sunrise bar, you’d love the moto bar I’ve put on a couple of bikes (also available without the brace)

https://fortnine.ca/en/emgo-7-8in-scrambles-handlebar-chrome-23-92400

So Surly rebranded a motorcycle bar, it all makes sense now! If your bike is prone to falling out of the shuttle truck it’d be nice to have one less part to worry about.

Nov. 1, 2022, 12:42 a.m.

Blofeld - the Surly bar does have a narrower clamp area but they're similar

Nov. 1, 2022, 10:09 a.m.

Blofeld - the Surly bar does have a narrower clamp area but they're similar

Have heard of some in the past using some kind of dirt bike bar. But one would have to ensure it is a 22.2 mm clamp then get the appropriate shim for either 31.8 or 35mm stem clamp.