MEATengines 2022...

Aug. 16, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

For anyone that wants to get #CUMBYwerxed it's not a limited time offer. We are open for business 365.

False advertising. Can’t get Love’s Ice Cream on a Monday OR a Tuesday. It’s not #CumberlandWerx without Ice Cream!

Aug. 16, 2022, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: Vikb

For anyone that wants to get #CUMBYwerxed it's not a limited time offer. We are open for business 365.

False advertising. Can’t get Love’s Ice Cream on a Monday OR a Tuesday. It’s not #CumberlandWerx without Ice Cream!

LOL. You know in a decade plus of visiting Cumby and a year of living in the Comox Valley I haven't had their ice cream. I've still been plenty Werxed here. ;-)

Upon further thought it seems anyone with good planning skills and access to a freezer can have Love's Ice Cream on a Monday or Tuesday for the full experience.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 16, 2022, 7:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 16, 2022, 8:02 a.m.

"we all know that how we dress to mountain bike is a form of performance art and a full-face doesn't fit with everyone's chosen character."

Brilliant. We are no different than the Harley dress-up gang, except our costumes tend to be more breathable.

I love rhe Invader despite its funky looks. The one thing is - and I suspect you might address this - it's a trail helmet, not DH rated, but it's so nice to wear that I end up risk-taking it by wearing it to the bike park. That's the one factor that will have me thinking carefully when it's time to replace mine.

Aug. 16, 2022, 8:33 a.m.

But if this really is the case with how many awesome hardtail rigs there are (and how much less they cost to run), that does make me a bit sad. How many folks aren’t getting into riding because the culture says you’re too poor to ride? How many people get turned off because the bike they buy for 4K is a POS when the hardtail equivalent is a ton of bike?

Andrew, agree with the culture and cost thing preventing others getting into riding. Debated this for a while but I am going to share a story about a newcomer to mtb....

I have a friend I have known for a few years who has had some hardship in the last few years.  She had an extremely emotionally and mentally abusive controlling ex husband who basically destroyed her. She had finally escaped and was living isolated because of trust issues and such. who wouldn't when you have had every aspect of you destroyed by another. One day at a local Starbucks somehow bumped into each other and she mentioned something about my bike and became friends over time.  She would ask to come on my day trips to Trenton or Brockville to ride while she went for a hike. Looking at it I was the person that helped her get out and do more of what she used to be like before her ex. I know enough about mental illness that just being someone who did what I did and do does a lot to help someone in her position to try to do more. She a few times mentioned she used to ride around all the time in high school and so on.  Many times asked questions about mtb and wanted to see photos of places. 

Thought nothing of it till something changed. August 2019 get a text asking if was free the next day as she needed to move something from her parents with my truck. Get there and she has decided to take her brothers neglected Oxygen race. Hauled it to her apartment and gave it a once over to make sure no problems. Few days later asks if can take her some where for an easy ride. Did that on a rail trail and she was smiling  the whole time. Changed the stem for a short one so it would be more comfortable. And several times before winter she asked to go ride somewhere so she could ride. Glad to help as I knew this was helping her come out from her walls a bit more. But what came next was very surprising.

My friend that winter one her own had started looking at bike stuff and bikes. Asked a question here or there. Then end of February 2020 get asked can I meet her at a local bike shop to help her out. Head down and meet her there as she is now looking for a newer bike. I was surprised because she never mentioned it at all she was thinking this.  So hung out at the shop while she looked at hardtails she could afford and get an idea of sizes. Goes home after to do more research. Next thing Mid March get asked can I go to Belleville with her taking my truck pick up a bike. Ok drive there. And go to a bike shop there to pick up the bike she found. A older Giant Talon that she got for $600 which was a big deal because she is on a limited budget.  Since then have taken her to a few places to ride to help her with getting out.

Sadly the last year she hasn't been able to ride due to cataracts and waiting for eye surgery. Hopefully she can ride more this fall.  But it was and is interesting to look at how this evolved as never told her her brothers old bike was crap or anything negative. Just encouraged and supported her to get out more as I know mental illness wise doing that can have a huge effect on getting out and quality of life. And when she asked for help even if just stood there to the side in the shop while she did her thing. I never judged her on how she didn't have the "correct" financial privilege to ride an mtb that wasn't the "correct" price point. Answered questions she asked about bikes and parts to support her. Just treated her coming into mtb the way I was encouraged back in the 80's.  And in doing this even if she never rides long days on the bike or never rides really technical terrain just glad to help someone find there way into mtb no matter her level.

Aug. 16, 2022, 8:54 a.m.

Posted by: cheapondirt

"we all know that how we dress to mountain bike is a form of performance art and a full-face doesn't fit with everyone's chosen character."

Brilliant. We are no different than the Harley dress-up gang, except our costumes tend to be more breathable.

I love rhe Invader despite its funky looks. The one thing is - and I suspect you might address this - it's a trail helmet, not DH rated, but it's so nice to wear that I end up risk-taking it by wearing it to the bike park. That's the one factor that will have me thinking carefully when it's time to replace mine.

Cheers, yeah it's a very different feel and sensory experience than popping on my 7iDP lid and I go into that ad nauseum in the review. It replaces my trail lid not my DH lid and it's not a one-helmet-does-all solution like the Bell Super DH. 

But I love it and I feel very strongly that if there were no mirrors - real or imagined - a lot more riders would be hungry to try one. Teeth are expensive and smoking your face sucks.

Aug. 16, 2022, 9:14 a.m.

Posted by: Bikeryder85

...I never understood the judgement from others regarding full face/pads/ect...I applaud any and all safety measures a person is willing to use, regardless of what I am comfortable in.

Agree. And would add armour and full face helmets we should add in helping on the mental side. As I firmly believe that they can help with decreasing you overthinking things while riding. And overthinking can get in the way badly and if wearing armour and full face helmets aids with that all the better. 

Myself posted this before. In 2019 on a technical descent of Gun Mountain in Ontario was being sketchy and overthinking because after getting hit the year prior was clearly overthinking stuff while descending. To me that is increasing a chances of a bad day and rather not go to the ER again. Figured get a better helmet specifically something more full face. Got a Bell Super DH summer 2020 with the removable chin bar. In 2021 did the same trail on Gun Mtn descending with the Super DH in ful face and while speed didn't go up definitely rode it better as with it in full face mode wasn't overthinking things which to me is a good thing.

Aug. 16, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Cheers, yeah it's a very different feel and sensory experience than popping on my 7iDP lid and I go into that ad nauseum in the review. It replaces my trail lid not my DH lid and it's not a one-helmet-does-all solution like the Bell Super DH. 

But I love it and I feel very strongly that if there were no mirrors - real or imagined - a lot more riders would be hungry to try one. Teeth are expensive and smoking your face sucks.

Andrew, my Super Dh is pretty much now the helmet I take on road trips for that reason.

Aug. 16, 2022, 9:57 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Andrew, agree with the culture and cost thing preventing others getting into riding. Debated this for a while but I am going to share a story about a newcomer to mtb....

That's a great story. You're a good friend and I truly hope she can get back on the trails soon. Thanks for sharing.

Aug. 16, 2022, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

That's a great story. You're a good friend and I truly hope she can get back on the trails soon. Thanks for sharing.

This.

Aug. 16, 2022, 10:56 a.m.

This is real. I probably wear my Leatt DBX 4.0 for 95% of my riding. It's just my default, I'm used to it, and I've worn a variety of full face or convertible lids for a long time.

My wife is a new rider and I was adamant about getting her a light full face too, was looking at the Kali or Trigger. But she's got bad memories of being the un-cool kid growing up with too much protective gear, so in service of actually encouraging her to come out we went for the more "cool" option. When we have kids I'm going to revisit the issue in terms of modelling for them that it's ok to protect yourself, other people's opinions about what looks good are not important.

Aug. 16, 2022, 11:50 a.m.

Andrew, my Super Dh is pretty much now the helmet I take on road trips for that reason.

I get that, totally. For a mix of trail and DH or aggressive pedal and plunge riding it makes sense. 

But, (but!) for somewhere like Cumberland it’s not as easy a choice. The Clairebarian would go without the bar for the long tame climb but basically leave it on for the rest of the day. And it’s decidedly trail-helmet territory. 

The beauty of the Kali is it breathes better than anything I’ve tried with the chin bar installed so much so that except for the two little chin doughnuts it’s like not wearing a full-face. I’m sure I was a touch less comfortable in the hot sun in cut blocks on the climber but overhaul I was helmet winner for our group. 

The faff-free factor is also lovely.

Aug. 16, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: eriksg

This is real. I probably wear my Leatt DBX 4.0 for 95% of my riding. It's just my default, I'm used to it, and I've worn a variety of full face or convertible lids for a long time.

My wife is a new rider and I was adamant about getting her a light full face too, was looking at the Kali or Trigger. But she's got bad memories of being the un-cool kid growing up with too much protective gear, so in service of actually encouraging her to come out we went for the more "cool" option. When we have kids I'm going to revisit the issue in terms of modelling for them that it's ok to protect yourself, other people's opinions about what looks good are not important.

Make your kid wear a full face and they’ll do the rest of the work for you. My parent’s generation was amazing at explaining away hypocrisy - my dad actually got a ticket once for riding his bike with his helmet hanging from his bar but I had a Bell V1 bike helmet before it was common for kids to wear lids. 

I bought my daughter and my wife both Bell Super lids and my kid took care of the rest. My wife wears hers all the time even if no one else on her group ride has one.

Aug. 16, 2022, 12:49 p.m.

I get that, totally. For a mix of trail and DH or aggressive pedal and plunge riding it makes sense. 

But, (but!) for somewhere like Cumberland it’s not as easy a choice. The Clairebarian would go without the bar for the long tame climb but basically leave it on for the rest of the day. And it’s decidedly trail-helmet territory. 

The beauty of the Kali is it breathes better than anything I’ve tried with the chin bar installed so much so that except for the two little chin doughnuts it’s like not wearing a full-face. I’m sure I was a touch less comfortable in the hot sun in cut blocks on the climber but overhaul I was helmet winner for our group. 

The faff-free factor is also lovely.

True. Biggest thing with full face like anything is using what works for you. 

Though the Super DH is almost $500 in 2020. And admit took advantage of the destroyed property insurance from the incident. Figured may as well get something really good to replace the destroyed helmet from 2019.

Aug. 16, 2022, 3:26 p.m.

Make your kid wear a full face and they’ll do the rest of the work for you. My parent’s generation was amazing at explaining away hypocrisy - my dad actually got a ticket once for riding his bike with his helmet hanging from his bar but I had a Bell V1 bike helmet before it was common for kids to wear lids. 

I bought my daughter and my wife both Bell Super lids and my kid took care of the rest. My wife wears hers all the time even if no one else on her group ride has one.

Pro tip! :D

My parents definitely insisted on the full face thing way back when, though they biked around with half shells. But I was the only one sending it off of rock walls and things, so they had a point . . .

Aug. 17, 2022, 2:51 a.m.

@AM

I may have to look into putting in a request for a frame...I guess I never thought of asking (worst they can do is say no I guess)...I'll have to check on the tire clearance, her bike has 20"x "2.6" but I have never measured to see if that is accurate, lol. I just know the tread is more like a kenda small block so not suited for the wet...it was supposed to have a different tire setup...but alas, COVID supply issues changed that to some unknown Chinese brand...

I'll stop by the shop and see if they can get a DHF in 20"...thanks for that!

Last edited by: Bikeryder85 on Aug. 17, 2022, 2:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.