Re. e-bike content, I don’t think anyone living in the western world (maybe the whole world?) can be surprised at how quickly any technology that makes anything easier (especially physically easier) in exchange for money and some minor level of inconvenience (charging) catches on.
Greenwash it. Promise that with a steady input of cash mine will be better (and therefore I will be better) and run longer than my poorer/less-invested friends (not to mention all the f—kers pedaling themselves around) and watch it explode.
Now, make super premium (Kashima coated AXS) mountain bikes so expensive that the difference between a motor v. no motor is of inconsequential financial difference and watch which sells more units.
Demand for the battery-assisted content - spoken and obvious but unspoken - is ever increasing just as the stigma of riding has decreased so much that I, delightfully, haven’t seen any stupid “what about the potential for disabled people” straw-person arguments in ages.
[Which isn’t saying that plenty of disabled people haven’t benefited from e~bikes but c’mon - 0.01% of sales? A generous 5% to “other” and then the remaining 94.99% is middle aged men whose houses theoretically earned more than they did in the last decade.]
For me, personally, an e~MTB is the antithesis of the things I love about mountain biking. The simple beauty of a person powered machine, that I can work on myself, and where true improvements come from my efforts. What’s really cool about NSMB is that mine is one of a diverse range of opinions I’m under no pressure to say otherwise.
Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Feb. 14, 2022, 3:16 p.m., edited 4 times in total.