MEATengines 2022...

Dec. 8, 2022, 10:28 a.m.

Never thought it a dropper seatpost would be a useful device medically for physio rehab. 🤣

Dec. 8, 2022, 8:30 p.m.

Hey Andrew (or anyone with a '22 model), how deep can you insert a post in your Rifty? I've got a line on a used one and can't find that detail... Cheers

Dec. 9, 2022, 11:30 a.m.

Serious question - has anyone tried kitchen foil under the inner soles in winter?  Does this work?  I've read a lot of conflicting posts on it.

Dec. 9, 2022, 12:16 p.m.

When it was very cold, I used to sometimes put empty mylar snack bags over my toes/feet inside my shoes (outside of my socks). It blocked wind, rain, and the shiny mylar interior (in theory?) helped reflect some heat back, all with a minimum of bulk inside my shoes.

Not quite the same thing, but totally works.

Dec. 9, 2022, 3:32 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Serious question - has anyone tried kitchen foil under the inner soles in winter?  Does this work?  I've read a lot of conflicting posts on it.

I bought insulated and mostly waterproof 5.10s for winter use. Last winter I added hiking gaiters over them and my pants when things got really wet.

Dec. 10, 2022, 9:47 a.m.

Serious question - has anyone tried kitchen foil under the inner soles in winter? Does this work? I've read a lot of conflicting posts on it.

Tried it, helped but was time consuming and felt weird to me. Freezing toes is a problem I was never able to solve my entire life, but now I Iive in a warmer climate. When I go back home I just stuff thick merino socks on and suffer. Bought those 5 10's, but it's a circulation thing so I still froze. Gotta be a solution for the truly cold frail.

Quit skiing which I loved and took up dirty hippy snowboarding because of cold toes.

SPD cleats bolted onto the snowboard bootsnis is the obvious practical answer. Or Mukluk SPD's, be the perfect match for some of the bikes in the hardtail thread. Pedal fenders to block the wind. Heated pedal axles. Modified miniature heat lamp/saddle.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Dec. 10, 2022, 9:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 10, 2022, 10:07 a.m.

I tried foil in my Freeriders this morning on a ride. It was maybe -4 at the start warming up to 0 at the end. Toes still froze and I was wearing 2 pairs of socks (one marino and one ground effect cold weather sock). At least my hands didn't freeze. I can deal with frozen feet but cold hands is where I draw the line. Think ill leave the foil in but not convinced maybe I need to have one with and one without...

Last edited by: fartymarty on Dec. 10, 2022, 10:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 10, 2022, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Tried it, helped but was time consuming and felt weird to me. Freezing toes is a problem I was never able to solve my entire life, but now I Iive in a warmer climate. When I go back home I just stuff thick merino socks on and suffer. Bought those 5 10's, but it's a circulation thing so I still froze. Gotta be a solution for the truly cold frail.

Quit skiing which I loved and took up dirty hippy snowboarding because of cold toes.

SPD cleats bolted onto the snowboard bootsnis is the obvious practical answer. Or Mukluk SPD's, be the perfect match for some of the bikes in the hardtail thread. Pedal fenders to block the wind. Heated pedal axles. Modified miniature heat lamp/saddle.

Even my friends who HATE flat pedals and who have circulation issues use flat pedals when it's cold. Nothing is better for cold feet than ditching the metal heatsinks bolts to your shoes. 

I know they aren't cheap, but in addition to flat pedals, nothing changed my experience like my Esker wool insoles. I have a couple of pairs and while both of them look pretty beaten they still work as new and I wear them ~ every day for riding and life so it's one of those investment-grade products.

Dec. 10, 2022, 11:01 a.m.

All of the Zee derailleur love I've read in the article comments has inspired me to share my latest parts bin frankenbike. This time, with the QR levers on the wrong side hahahahaha. Meant to be a winter beater, but I love it so far. Picked up the NOS bushpilot frame locally. Never used a thumbie before and its pretty neat, driving 8/10ths of a 11-36. Mind the XXXL b-screw, it came off a bike that was desperate for 11-42 without a goat link. Thought you MEAT Engine lovers would enjoy.

pic 1

Also considering trying an alt bar, something with pretty high rise, and a bit more backsweep. Was looking at a bar WZRD had recently but with the cross-bar I couldn't get it on my stem.

Last edited by: silverbansheebike on Dec. 10, 2022, 11:03 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 10, 2022, 11:18 a.m.

For people running clipless/spd's you can get neoprene booties on amazon for like $20-$30 that work wonders keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions. Endura makes an overboot for people running flats.

Dec. 10, 2022, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

For people running clipless/spd's you can get neoprene booties on amazon for like $20-$30 that work wonders keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions. Endura makes an overboot for people running flats.

MEC (regardless what you think of the company lately) sells neoprene socks for i think 15$, same sort of deal. I use them over my drysuit under my booties for kayaking and they're great!

Dec. 11, 2022, 9:57 a.m.

Serious question - has anyone tried kitchen foil under the inner soles in winter? Does this work? I've read a lot of conflicting posts on it.

Hmm...where do you live? There is a few solutions as you have noticed and also depends how much money you're willing to spend to find the solution that works for you.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 11, 2022, 10:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 11, 2022, 6:40 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: Hepcat

Even my friends who HATE flat pedals and who have circulation issues use flat pedals when it's cold. Nothing is better for cold feet than ditching the metal heatsinks bolts to your shoes. 

I know they aren't cheap, but in addition to flat pedals, nothing changed my experience like my Esker wool insoles. I have a couple of pairs and while both of them look pretty beaten they still work as new and I wear them ~ every day for riding and life so it's one of those investment-grade products.

Flat pedals and wool socks. Use light hiking boots bought at Value Village that have lots of tread still or found on FB Marketplace.  Used to minus 29 without major hassle. biggest thing is one needs to remember when looking for footwear for winter is that they need to be slightly better. Easier to move your toes around in the boots to help keep warmer.

Dec. 13, 2022, 12:27 a.m.

Andrew - any chance of getting one of these https://chromagbikes.com/products/darco?syclid=cec3deb7k044ckks4pg0&utm_campaign=emailmarketing_127538724996&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopifyemail for a long term review? Apart from the 'onion it looks to tick a lot of boxes.

_ The Lowdown looks like a right bruiser https://chromagbikes.com/products/lowdown?syclid=cec3elr7k040f4p238kg&utm_campaign=emailmarketing_127538724996&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

Dec. 13, 2022, 7:27 a.m.

@Marty, Cooper’s Darco review is live.

I would be surprised if we don’t see a Lowdown under an NSMB tester but haven’t heard anything specific.

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike