MEATengines 2022...

Dec. 6, 2022, 1:21 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: fartymarty

I'm thinking that if the penalty is so massive and life changing it will force drivers to slow down and look.  It would make me slow down as a driver and I already drive like a grandpa.

Maybe a Tullock Spike

Would the Lee Lau method be a valid option?

Make drivers use a RipRow for propulsion?

Dec. 6, 2022, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: fartymarty

I'm thinking that if the penalty is so massive and life changing it will force drivers to slow down and look.  It would make me slow down as a driver and I already drive like a grandpa.

Maybe a Tullock Spike

Would the Lee Lau method be a valid option?

Make drivers use a RipRow for propulsion?

LOL

Lee Lau methodology.... public execution and mount head on pike.

Dec. 6, 2022, 12:45 p.m.

Sorry to hear Andrew, hope you're getting better.

Your blog posts are the reason our household takes cycling safety seriously. Coming from an even more car-centric province, this is the first place we could even consider commuting by bike. Your death is not a crime!

Dec. 6, 2022, 6:46 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: cooperquinn

That covers the first and last bit - what about the middle bit.

Well like I’ve said a few times now, the middle bit was general info about cycling safety. It wasn’t aimed at any one person in particular and was intended for everyone who rides bikes on the road. I made a point of saying we to include everyone.

People are making it out to be like I said that if Andrew had taken more precautions he wouldn’t have gotten hit and that is simply not the case.

Ok...I will touch on this once. And is the internet dammit so remember trying to explain best I can.

Anyone hit or crushed by a car has suffered a traumatic incident. On top of the pain and everything that goes with it. Trust me on this you will spend lots of time spiraling down the "What if I did this instead " hole and this is really not fun. And really not good mental illness wise either. What makes it worse is when someone at any point starts chiming in with the as I call it "You should have done this" bullshit. That is when you see crap like if you rode with wet conditions tires the driver wouldn't have maimed you from behind at a stoplight crap. Or in the case of that North Vancouver Mayor doing what colour helmet BS. That is absolutely not helping. That is what makes someone a Dick.

I have spent alot of time around mental illness and yes have taken a Mental Illness First Aid course. And one thing learned spewing all that helmet colour BS and such shit does nothing useful beyond making the victim of a crime feel shittier about things.

You want to make things better? Start demanding government treat cars hitting cyclists and pedestrians lives like they have value. Anything else is just bullshit.

And enough of this side of it.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 6, 2022, 6:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 6, 2022, 6:58 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Dec. 6, 2022, 7:01 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

That's right up there with Mayor Little's suggestion that commuters should protect themselves by wearing body armour.  

What is this 1998?

Though this has had me thinking of something around this specifically groups who are MIA in all this.

Dec. 7, 2022, 2:26 a.m.

Where Will Your Ghost Bike Go

- Andrew - your problem is your on the wrong side of the road... (sorry I couldn't resist having mostly driven and ridden on the left - arguably the correct side of the road).

Joking aside your comment on rear lights is an interesting one. Someone needs to make a 180 degree rear light with about 1000lm. Then drivers would be so blind they couldn't miss you. If someone pisses me off commuting I flash 1600lm from my helmet light at them. They usually slow down / stop while their retinas recover. I also tend to use the 1600lm in busy areas. It's the side / rear where I would be happy with more light - i'm currently running a Cateye Viz100 and Viz150 on my commuter.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Dec. 7, 2022, 2:33 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 7, 2022, 7:43 a.m.

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm sorry you got hit, Andrew, and I'm hoping you make a speedy recovery.

I know that americans (yankees and loyalists alike) have a tendency to fixate on things they can do as individuals to fix things, but I'm sure more systems-oriented folk are familiar with this gem from NIOSH:

NIOSH Hierarchy of Hazard Controls. An inverted pyramid with hazard controls in descending levels of effectiveness: "Elimination", "Substitution," "Engineering Controls," "Adminstrative Controls," and finally "PPE"

The fact that the people most well-equipped to work this problem from the top half continue to advocate for doing it bottom-up is going to give me an aneurysm.

This downtown elitist was at a ghost bike ride last week for a kid sucked under an F250, so I hope you'll forgive my "yes, and" response to twelve years of "war on the car" rhetoric when I suggest this novel method of hazard elimination.

Dec. 7, 2022, 8:39 a.m.

I run the Lezyne Laser Drive on the rear. I think it is 270 lumens at full flash, and also has the option of having the 'laser' lines being put down on the road beside you. Im not sure it makes a difference, but I have definitely had people comment on how visible it makes me.  That's what Im going for, remarkable visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX3RPmFtn_I

Dec. 7, 2022, 10:36 a.m.

Trying a little different tactic to encourage Chromag to do -16d FU50. Asking for purple Wax grips for Christmas instead and just subtlety sliding in a photo of the 30X and a reference to past references.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Dec. 7, 2022, 10:38 a.m., edited 5 times in total.
Dec. 7, 2022, 10:47 a.m.

I went a little less subtle...

Dec. 7, 2022, 12:42 p.m.

I find this subject fascinating as I don't own a car I commute full time by bike . 

In north Vancouver and Vancouver down town . People are courteous and generaly look out for pedestrian and cyclist. 

A car for personal transportation is not mandatory it's not a right . It's a personal luxury not to be taken for granted. This luxury involves responsibility. 

Every time people who have this luxury and don't use signals , chat with phone in crotch, get angry and drive aggressive. 

You endanger people's lives . 

No cyclist do not want to die . Either do pedestrian s . I see close calls every day . Often it's an inattentive pedestrian. 

Thing is an automobile traveling at 50 kph or 10 kph still weighs two tonnes ! 

It's actually up to the person in the automobile to not kill and maim people . 

I look forward to the day automobiles are automated . You say to your smart phone take me to .... A car shows up and takes you where you want to go. 

Get rid of the people operating the automobile all the accidents cease to exist.  No more traffic jams .

Dec. 7, 2022, 3:06 p.m.

Damn, glad it's not too serious.

I used to share the road with cars a lot when we lived in northwest Denver and I regularly commuted to work by bike and generally rode to most things within a reasonable distance from home. I had a couple close calls with automobiles and distracted drivers over the years. The last straw for me was when within the span of about a month I got coal rolled and doored. Those were the last straws, sold my fixed gear bike and never looked back. Drivers in Colorado are very shitty and cyclists are regularly hit and killed, and often it's hit and runs. It's a sad state of affairs, with two kids now I will never ride on the road again, luckily we GTFO of Denver and moved back to the mountains so I might have to pedal along a rural road for just a bit to get to a trail, but no more city drivers. Although on the short jaunts on the road, the drivers are still scarily distracted around here, and tend to drive bigger and faster automobiles around switchbacks, and then factor in the drivers on vacation with red CO plates (denotes a rental/fleet vehicle). I literally get off the road as quickly as I can when I see one of those, probably some high as shit Florida-man on vacation to the mountains.

Last edited by: chacou on Dec. 7, 2022, 3:10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 7, 2022, 3:08 p.m.

Posted by: pasteldenata

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm sorry you got hit, Andrew, and I'm hoping you make a speedy recovery.

I know that americans (yankees and loyalists alike) have a tendency to fixate on things they can do as individuals to fix things, but I'm sure more systems-oriented folk are familiar with this gem from NIOSH:

NIOSH Hierarchy of Hazard Controls. An inverted pyramid with hazard controls in descending levels of effectiveness: "Elimination", "Substitution," "Engineering Controls," "Adminstrative Controls," and finally "PPE"

The fact that the people most well-equipped to work this problem from the top half continue to advocate for doing it bottom-up is going to give me an aneurysm.

This downtown elitist was at a ghost bike ride last week for a kid sucked under an F250, so I hope you'll forgive my "yes, and" response to twelve years of "war on the car" rhetoric when I suggest this novel method of hazard elimination.

I think this agrees with your thoughts. LOL

And yes posted it twice. Live with it.😋🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/slBWDTbRxkU

Dec. 7, 2022, 5:51 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Trying a little different tactic to encourage Chromag to do -16d FU50. Asking for purple Wax grips for Christmas instead and just subtlety sliding in a photo of the 30X and a reference to past references.

But if you get purple grips that means you will need to get the purple ano pedals, brake levers, and so on. LOL

And agree about the vests and how they are cut. Only have 4 vests- One is Roach, one slowly dying from use Core Rat, A Roach Ultra jacket that is only used sans sleeves. Fourth one is an old Rocky Mtn Bikes one which actually has that fleece like back. The Two Roach and the Core rat definitely have cut like simply made without sleeves.