MEATengines 2022...

Dec. 5, 2022, 11:26 a.m.

Trying to prevent injury/death in case of a car hitting a cyclists is the wrong approach. What needs to be prevented is the car hitting the cyclist.

Decades of research and practical experience in more cycling friendly places has shown that by far the most effective solution is separating road users that have different speeds: pedestrians (slowest), cyclists (slowish), cars & motorcycles (fast). Where they can't be separated, you take measures to reduce the speed of the faster road users so the speed difference is smaller or disappears.

Here in Canada we (mostly) separate pedestrians but for some reason not cyclists. I've never heard anyone bring up helmets when a pedestrian gets struck by a car.

Dec. 5, 2022, 11:48 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

The amount of people i see looking at their phones while driving is staggering.  They get a good slap on window as I ride past...  

The whole texting while driving law is a joke. Reality is fining a driver for doing that after they maim or kill a cyclist/pedestrian does fuck all.  It is nothing more then a look we did something so therefore we care political negative outcome exercise.

Dec. 5, 2022, 12:10 p.m.

I'm thinking that if the penalty is so massive and life changing it will force drivers to slow down and look.  It would make me slow down as a driver and I already drive like a grandpa.

Dec. 5, 2022, 1:13 p.m.

I'm thinking that if the penalty is so massive and life changing it will force drivers to slow down and look.  It would make me slow down as a driver and I already drive like a grandpa.

Maybe a Tullock Spike

Dec. 5, 2022, 1:31 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Mark I can’t tell if you’re just trolling me or if you’re actually the Lord Haw-Haw of cycle commuting but I’m too fucking sore to even consider this at face value.

You want to be in bed with the blatantly anti-cycle-commuting mayor of the DNV, that’s on you. You want to blame me for getting hit and hurt because I didn’t have the right colour helmet and I wasn’t wearing pads? Go jump in a lake.

I hadn't heard the term Lord Haw-Haw before and just looked it up. Even though you're hurt and upset from your crash, that's a despicable thing to say considering my values on social justice are pretty well known.

Dec. 5, 2022, 1:47 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Like it.

Dec. 5, 2022, 2:58 p.m.

Ok...bad humour time...

Andrew I figured out were we fucked up. If we had used a Reflective Contraceptive, we would have been outstandingly fine. Though we would be probably in shit for the dead driver and passengers, wrecked and flipped car, and the serious road damage caused by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBWDTbRxkU

Dec. 5, 2022, 3:04 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Mark I can’t tell if you’re just trolling me or if you’re actually the Lord Haw-Haw of cycle commuting but I’m too fucking sore to even consider this at face value.

You want to be in bed with the blatantly anti-cycle-commuting mayor of the DNV, that’s on you. You want to blame me for getting hit and hurt because I didn’t have the right colour helmet and I wasn’t wearing pads? Go jump in a lake.

I hadn't heard the term Lord Haw-Haw before and just looked it up. Even though you're hurt and upset from your crash, that's a despicable thing to say considering my values on social justice are pretty well known.

Hmm...why would the victim of a driver willfully taking them out be upset? Hmm.. oh wait. That would be when you went about how they "didn't do enough" to protect themselves from harm. Harm from a driver who willfully drove into the victim stopped at a stop light who had on more then the required rear lights. But somehow your best answer is to go on about what the victim didn't do. That is victim blaming and does jack shit to help a person who is going through that now or has been through it.  

Your being completely dismissive of what Andrew had had happened and is going through. Your not helping and in fact are being a dick.

Dec. 5, 2022, 3:07 p.m.

I have said it before and will say it now. I now firmly believe that nothing will change till the right incident happens involving the wrong cyclist which ends up the cyclist kills or wounds the driver via gun or knife. To be honest I am more shocked it hasn't happened yet. But reality with the current state of police and courts deeming cyclists lives as expendable that is the most likely outcome.

Dec. 5, 2022, 3:32 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Your being completely dismissive of what Andrew had had happened and is going through. Your not helping and in fact are being a dick.

You might want to look at what I said in that first post and not the conjecture that’s been thrown around. The first thing I said was that I was sorry he got hit and that I hoped ICBC would take care of him. The last thing in that post was about the need for drivers to change their behaviour around cyclists.

Dec. 5, 2022, 3:42 p.m.

That covers the first and last bit - what about the middle bit.

Dec. 5, 2022, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

That covers the first and last bit - what about the middle bit.

Well like I’ve said a few times now, the middle bit was general info about cycling safety. It wasn’t aimed at any one person in particular and was intended for everyone who rides bikes on the road. I made a point of saying we to include everyone.

People are making it out to be like I said that if Andrew had taken more precautions he wouldn’t have gotten hit and that is simply not the case.

Last edited by: syncro on Dec. 5, 2022, 4:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Dec. 5, 2022, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Maybe a Tullock Spike

Would the Lee Lau method be a valid option?

Dec. 5, 2022, 6:12 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Here in Canada we (mostly) separate pedestrians but for some reason not cyclists. I've never heard anyone bring up helmets when a pedestrian gets struck by a car.

Niels, there has been three incidents this year involving riders I know of getting taken to the ER after catastrophic events while riding. Add in mine as well. It seems our various provincial healthcare systems policy in ER's and such takes the view that is a cyclist wore a helmet there is nothing to worry about. They dismiss it in the ER and when you go to your GP complaining of issues, they are dismissive again. In my case with the Covid restrictions added onto fighting the system. When finally saw the GP and wanted a referral to the head injury clinic basically tried to dismiss it. And even claimed that because it took three years to get there nothing to be worried about. Even tried to blame me for not noticing any in Oct 2019.  Then does the "Are you sure you had a head injury?" The GP when I went to pull out my phone to show the photographic proof suddenly backed down and didn't want to see the proof. Finally refers me and back in Sept was confirmed what already bloody knew....had a TBI. 

To be honest now suspect the whole helmet thing is also a ruse by our two-tier healthcare system as a way to dismiss any possibility to one having a TBI. As well as make it easier for your medical insurance to claim you don't have a head injury because wore a helmet which is something have experienced.

Dec. 5, 2022, 7:24 p.m.