MEATengines 2022...

Nov. 7, 2022, 6:45 a.m.

It's That Day....

I was kind of wishing I had ridden my SS bike yesterday on the first snow ride of the year. My shifting started to go funny with built up ice/snow/mud and I was only shifting between 2 gears anyway. I could have just split the difference and run one gear. At one point my GF complained about her FS bike making a noise so I grabbed it and took it for a test spin then poked around at it to see if anything looked/felt wrong. I remarked to my GF that the state of her machine just made me sad and she agreed that she should have grabbed her hardtail that morning.

Nov. 7, 2022, 2:56 p.m.

In winter every ATB will eventually be a singlespeed when riding in the snow.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Nov. 7, 2022, 3:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 10, 2022, 5:57 p.m.

I admit to being a little envious of the wet weather, SS-friendly conditions. I was all set for some muck this September…I did some sticky tire shopping, put the rigid fork on the hardtail, made some unsolicited bids for hub parts on PB, and swapped to flat pedals. In the end I went on ONE wet ride (with snow at high elevation) in mid-September. I crashed a lot and the suspension fork on the fully definitely felt like garbage with temps around the freezing point.

Then, as if in mockery of my class-2 fun, it totally dried out again. Back to fast tires, shorts in October, and summer conditions. In the past week it’s snowed a lot, got really cold, and is now full fatbike weather. A quick transition, but what can you do?

Last edited by: Blofeld on Nov. 10, 2022, 7:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 10, 2022, 8:48 p.m.

Whoa, sorry have we had a bike check on that? Waltworks.... fat bike right? Hmm, I guess there's no reason at all it can't pull dual duty. Brilliant. More pics at some point please

Nov. 11, 2022, 7:39 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Whoa, sorry have we had a bike check on that? Waltworks.... fat bike right? Hmm, I guess there's no reason at all it can't pull dual duty. Brilliant. More pics at some point please

Thanks Hepcat! Nope, I haven’t posted a full rundown but will do that at some point.

The short version is that it’s a Waltworks built to clear a 27x4” tire using 83/157 spacing. This leaves lots of room for 29+, too. The front end was designed for a rigid or 130/140mm fork. The intention was a hardtail to work really well in the summer and in the winter with some compromises - fatbiking is a gong show no matter what so no worries if things aren’t 100% on those days!

Last edited by: Blofeld on Nov. 11, 2022, 7:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2022, 12:04 p.m.

Losing a dog is hard. Dogs are so consistent in their "love" for us, that constant companion. I miss my boy. He died Monday presumably from heart failure at age 7. I had to find him back on the trail and carry him out. I imagine Big Willie will leave a big hole in many hearts.

Nov. 13, 2022, 5:28 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Losing a dog is hard. Dogs are so consistent in their "love" for us, that constant companion. I miss my boy. He died Monday presumably from heart failure at age 7. I had to find him back on the trail and carry him out. I imagine Big Willie will leave a big hole in many hearts.

Sorry to hear about your dog Andy. That would be a tough one. And sorry to hear about Big Willie as well. I lost my cat of 18 years this summer so I can sympathize 100%. There has been a lot of beer poured out, but they all deserve the recognition for the role they have played in our lives.

Nov. 13, 2022, 8 a.m.

really sorry to hear that Andy, always enjoyed seeing you and the dogs on the trail...which I also miss since moving to Squamish

Nov. 13, 2022, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

really sorry to hear that Andy, always enjoyed seeing you and the dogs on the trail...which I also miss since moving to Squamish

Yeah me too. We always shared a laugh or two. My mother in law is in Squamish now at the end of Mamquam Rd. Maybe we’ll be lucky and run into each other.

Nov. 13, 2022, 3:46 p.m.

Sucks to hear.

Nov. 13, 2022, 4:07 p.m.

Ah, I'm so sorry Andy.

Nov. 14, 2022, 2:46 p.m.

Very sorry to hear that. The love between an animal and a person is so different than person to person, it's a very special thing that transcends the language and species barrier. 

It's something they just "know", ya know?

Nov. 14, 2022, 2:47 p.m.

Yeah me too. We always shared a laugh or two. My mother in law is in Squamish now at the end of Mamquam Rd. Maybe we’ll be lucky and run into each other.

we're on the golf course end of mamquam, nice to have the river trails/dike to walk Dakota on, and the golf course now that it's closed for the winter!

Nov. 15, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

we're on the golf course end of mamquam, nice to have the river trails/dike to walk Dakota on, and the golf course now that it's closed for the winter!

I thought so. I saw what I think was your company truck up there. MIL is in the older townhouse development.

Nov. 18, 2022, 8:26 p.m.

Since VikB mentioned first snow ride of this winter. Last night couldn't sleep so a quick spin in the first snowfall.

And this afternoon first ride to here post surgery.

mm