MEATengines 2022...

Nov. 1, 2022, 12:21 p.m.

I run that bar on my Longtail with a 7/8 BMX threadless stem and it really works well with that bike - wide, upright swept back and very stiff is great on a massive motorized bike with moped tires and two children aboard. 

I also have one on my 80’s mountain bike and it’s great but the weight is noticeable (but doesn’t matter as much as riding position and style) as it’s actually a pretty light bike.  7/8” super wide split clamp quill stem on that bike so it works out perfectly, most bike handlebars aren’t compatible.

7/8” to 31.8 shims are pretty cheap and easy to come by but I probably would choose something lighter for high-performance riding of any sort.

Nov. 2, 2022, 10:58 a.m.

Comparing  the Surly to the old high rise DMR Chromoly  Wingbar from 2011.

And only in the last two weeks medically cleared to ride short distances on gravel or road. And as of the 31st cleared to ride things within limits and take time adding more. So yesterday was first ride of about 9k mostly manmade surface and a wee bit of flat singletrack to the creek. So far good. Didn't notice any of the injuries acting up like before  due to the low bar height . Only first ride and didn't notice anything acting up like normal. See how it plays out with longer distances over time. Definitely have to prune the width down a bit as 820mm is pretty wide.  And take sometime to get used to the higher bar.

Need to get new cable and housing for the dropper post of course.

Nov. 2, 2022, 1:03 p.m.

Happy International Single Speed Day to any SS weirdos out there. I took advantage of the sunshine. :-)

My cat wanted in on the action so I took her out in her backpack for a chilly urban SS ride this morning. I think she's hooked on it.

Nov. 2, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Happy International Single Speed Day to any SS weirdos out there. I took advantage of the sunshine. :-)

My cat wanted in on the action so I took her out in her backpack for a chilly urban SS ride this morning. I think she's hooked on it.

Happy Singlespeed Day! Thanks for the photos - please include the cat next time!!

I couldn’t get out on the SS today as there was too much snow for road slicks. I’ve been shopping for a deal on an HG hub body for a DT 350 to convert the Walt to SS for about a year…in the meantime Microspline cogs still don’t seem to be happening at a decent price.

Nov. 2, 2022, 4:45 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Happy Singlespeed Day! Thanks for the photos - please include the cat next time!!

I couldn’t get out on the SS today as there was too much snow for road slicks. I’ve been shopping for a deal on an HG hub body for a DT 350 to convert the Walt to SS for about a year…in the meantime Microspline cogs still don’t seem to be happening at a decent price.

We were solo so I couldn't get any cat action photos. This is right after we got home. I opened the backpack to let her out, but she wanted to go for a longer ride and wouldn't get out. She's a kitten and we are trying to get her used to all sorts of activities like bike riding, driving and walking on a harness/leash while she is young.

I'm thinking of installing a front rack [not this one, but something along these lines] on my Krampus so I can put her there. She'll get a good view and I can look down on her and make sure she's okay.

Good luck with your hunt for compatible SS parts. It will be fun when it comes together.

Nov. 3, 2022, 6:55 a.m.

^ Other than inside a human, that's the best way to carry a pizza on a bike for sure.

Nov. 3, 2022, 7:32 a.m.

That’s awesome! A rack for the carrier is a good idea. I’ve hauled around small humans a lot, and depending on your riding-with-passenger intentions something that’s frame or bar mounted is worth considering to add a suspension option.

Nov. 3, 2022, 9:57 a.m.

I so want a Pass & Stow rack for the front of my SS Karate Monkey.

This is a cheaper Microspline SS solution I stumbled upon:
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/drivetrain/zinger-single-speed-conversion-kit-for-micro-spline

Nov. 3, 2022, 12:10 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

I've got an old OMM rack like this kicking around the spares bin. If I can get it mounted to the Krampus I think I'll use it with a Surly rack platform. Not sexy like the P&S stuff, but it'll work and the rack is just gathering dust.

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tv_tray

Nov. 3, 2022, 12:38 p.m.

I've got an old OMM rack like this kicking around the spares bin. If I can get it mounted to the Krampus I think I'll use it with a Surly rack platform. Not sexy like the P&S stuff, but it'll work and the rack is just gathering dust.

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tv_tray

That's a solid solution. The OMM stuff seems lighter and stronger than anything else. A short wide basket would zip tie nice to that and be lighter than the TV Tray.
Do you ever miss the cargo bike? I love having mine for groceries and hauling kids to sports practice.

Nov. 3, 2022, 2:28 p.m.

Do you ever miss the cargo bike? I love having mine for groceries and hauling kids to sports practice.

I miss the BD in a nostalgic way. I had a lot of crazy/fun cargo missions with that bike. I drive so little these days that having an excuse to fire up the truck once every week to do a cargo mission that's not possible with my "normal" bike + rack + panniers and/or backpack is actually a good thing.  If I were to get some cargo bike related gear these days it would be a trailer.

Nov. 3, 2022, 2:48 p.m.

Saw this two different bike packing type builds using the same frameon bikepacking dot com.

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-unit-x-dream-builds/

Nov. 3, 2022, 7:48 p.m.

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/drivetrain/zinger-single-speed-conversion-kit-for-micro-spline

I have the XD version of this and it’s fine. I bought it so I could easily #1FG test rigs with sliders. 

HG is still the best option assuming you’re okay with an 11t or larger cog.

Nov. 4, 2022, 5:31 a.m.

Thanks for the link! It’s not as pretty as a Boone Cog, but at least there’s an option B now.

Changing freehub bodies on a DT hub is also faster than changing cassettes, so that’s something I’m considering as well.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

HG is still the best option assuming you’re okay with an 11t or larger cog.

10t would be a mighty small SS cog - Is this more BMX crossover content?

I jest, but have had good luck with 12S Shimano and poor luck with 12S SRAM in terms of shift quality. My suspicion is that they made it terrible on purpose to sell AXS stuff. “Sorry, if you’d like to backpedal we’re going to need to install a battery.”

Last edited by: Blofeld on Nov. 4, 2022, 5:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 7, 2022, 5:48 a.m.

While we are on the topic of single speed I do miss having a single speed on call now the weather has turned.  My Krampus is about to be converted to full time winter commuter complete with rigid forks, road tyres and full fenders.  The solution would be a dedicated commuter bike and having SS/HT/rigid and FS bikes but that's another bike in the garage.  I do quite like riding the FS in winter tho as it's long wheelbase gives you plenty of time to keep you upright.