MEATengines 2022...

Sept. 24, 2022, 9:19 a.m.

Pee like Jane. She would shuffle maybe two feet away on trail and drop shorts pee right on the trail. She would continue the conversation and maintain eye contact the whole time.

Sept. 24, 2022, 8:48 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

Andrew, I saw mention in another article of yours of some mental barriers to overcome when getting back on the bike. Think we'll see a meatengines story about these / ways to get over them?

Saw that and funny timing bringing up the mental aspect. Have my third appointment Monday morning with the new physio therapy place. First appointment as going over things he starts brings up the mental health/illness aspect of these processes and wasn't dismissive of how both sides of injury effect each other.   First person in 3 years and 5 months to take this aspect seriously. 

Andrew, it would be worth the story because while everyone's injury recovery is different being injured and the process to get back to riding can feel lonely and isolating. A side have seen.  And the whole "You knew what it would be like" type stuff seen elsewhere doesn't help. We need to talk about this and share experiences around this not just because of the whole this is the process to get back to riding physical aspect. But the whole feeling like not alone and having a hard time around the mental side is a huge thing even if just a story.

Sept. 25, 2022, 8:19 a.m.

https://youtu.be/R3FjZHiPhOU

An entertaining MEATy video about old school MTBs and the gravel/ATB evolution. I don't subscribe to everything Ron is into [front derailleurs!! GAAACK!!!], but anyone who would push a bike up a mountain and then back down the other side is my people. ;-)

Sept. 25, 2022, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Andrew, I saw mention in another article of yours of some mental barriers to overcome when getting back on the bike. Think we'll see a meatengines story about these / ways to get over them?

Saw that and funny timing bringing up the mental aspect. Have my third appointment Monday morning with the new physio therapy place. First appointment as going over things he starts brings up the mental health/illness aspect of these processes and wasn't dismissive of how both sides of injury effect each other.   First person in 3 years and 5 months to take this aspect seriously. 

Andrew, it would be worth the story because while everyone's injury recovery is different being injured and the process to get back to riding can feel lonely and isolating. A side have seen.  And the whole "You knew what it would be like" type stuff seen elsewhere doesn't help. We need to talk about this and share experiences around this not just because of the whole this is the process to get back to riding physical aspect. But the whole feeling like not alone and having a hard time around the mental side is a huge thing even if just a story.

It's interesting. This week I had my first 'proper' ride since my injury. That is a ride on the janky North Shore trails I usually frequent. I learned that I'm further ahead physically than I thought I was but also much further behind mentally. 

I will certainly write about the experience but I feel like I need to be more there-there before I have anything useful to say.

Sept. 25, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

An entertaining MEATy video about old school MTBs and the gravel/ATB evolution. I don't subscribe to everything Ron is into [front derailleurs!! GAAACK!!!], but anyone who would push a bike up a mountain and then back down the other side is my people. ;-)

If you didn't have to push or carry your bike was your ride hard enough???

Ron who? And LOL about the part he comments about out east where no idea if will get in trouble for riding some where as there is zero signage saying it meat engine powered bikes not allowed. It is so true.

In terms of the gravel bike and marketing. Earlier in May helping at my buddies Gravel Race as remote section crew was interesting to see about 5 riders riding gravel type bikes with flat bars instead of  drop bars. Almost like some are now thinking that going to flat bars will draw more into gravel. 

https://bikepacking.com/plog/atb-manifesto/

Last edited by: Endurimil on Sept. 25, 2022, 6:42 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 25, 2022, 5:57 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It's interesting. This week I had my first 'proper' ride since my injury. That is a ride on the janky North Shore trails I usually frequent. I learned that I'm further ahead physically than I thought I was but also much further behind mentally. 

I will certainly write about the experience but I feel like I need to be more there-there before I have anything useful to say.

Andrew, it is definitely a process mentally.

Sept. 25, 2022, 7:05 p.m.

On lever reach adjusters, I concur with the sentiment of Do It Right Or Use A Tool.

However I find myself glad of the Shimano tool-free unit due to the wandering bite point. My sets are pretty good, but sometimes they pull unevenly, and I'm glad to be able to just twiddle the knob JRA to address the symptom.

Sept. 25, 2022, 10:33 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

On lever reach adjusters, I concur with the sentiment of Do It Right Or Use A Tool.

However I find myself glad of the Shimano tool-free unit due to the wandering bite point. My sets are pretty good, but sometimes they pull unevenly, and I'm glad to be able to just twiddle the knob JRA to address the symptom.

If we're looking for silver linings in the pandemic parts shortages, it's the number of my friends who've had to try a different braking system and had their minds blown. I've had two riders I've known a long time trying to sell me (ME!!!!) on how awesome Magura MT5 brakes are for the money (and in general really) and one friend accuse me (mostly jokingly) of damping the review of the Hayes Dominion brakes because, being Hayes, I obviously felt like I couldn't give me them the unfettered praise they deserved. 

If I was Shimano (and to an extent SRAM, though the Code systems are pretty damned good) I'd be riding those systems and figuring out how to bring something as good to market. Nerds will nerd, but there are plenty of folks who only-ride-stock who have had their minds opened the last couple of years.

Sept. 26, 2022, 7:20 a.m.

If you didn't have to push or carry your bike was your ride hard enough???

In terms of the gravel bike and marketing. Earlier in May helping at my buddies Gravel Race as remote section crew was interesting to see about 5 riders riding gravel type bikes with flat bars instead of drop bars. Almost like some are now thinking that going to flat bars will draw more into gravel.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/atb-manifesto/

Now to be fair I don't think a good ride [for me] has to be HARD or involve a solid HAB section. Although I do feel like a good ride does involve a decent chunk of climbing it can be moderate and 100% on the bike. OTOH with winter heading our way I'm definitely going to be pushing/carrying my bike more often than during the spring/summer/fall. What is important to me is facing challenges with a good attitude. Riding bicycles in the forest can't always be hero dirt and freshly bermed corners.

I liked the the positive attitude to exploring on a bicycle that was communicated in the video. Even when that meant pushing/carrying bicycles. I'm pretty amazed how fast people fold when faced with unexpected challenges on their bikes. I saw so many posts last winter on the local MTB group about trails being unrideable and lamenting having to wait weeks for the snow to melt. Usually I had been out having a blast on my bike in forest that very day, but ya snow riding is a different challenge than typical and ya sometimes you have to walk your bike 5 mins past a drifted section.

People like my GF can't comfortably ride drops so it's either flat/riser/Alt bars or no riding. So I am not surprised by a few flat bar rigs in the mix at that race. The cynical part of me figures once drop bar gravel bikes have achieved max market penetration and sales slow the bike industry will change lanes and decide flat bar/ATB style bikes are the One True Path for gravel...for a couple years until they are not.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 26, 2022, 3:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 26, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

Enjoyable talk to watch / listen to, more relatable for me than say a freeride video. I've done my fair share of adventure rides with long hike-a-bikes, sometimes up AND down.

When "American mountain bikes" first started appearing in Europe, my dad got one, added fenders and a rack and swapped the flat bar for drop bars. He did upgrade that bike for a similar but better one at some point (with the same modifications) but he still rides it and has essentially ignored anything the bike industry pumped out since then. He tends to apply the same approach to clothing and hair style, much to frustration of my mom. When asked about it, he always answers "it will come back in fashion at some point" 😄

Sept. 26, 2022, 1:06 p.m.

Now to be fair I don't think a good ride [for me] has to be HARD or involve a solid HAB section. Although I do feel like a good ride does involve a decent chunk of climbing it can be moderate and 100% on the bike. OTOH with winter heading our way I'm definitely going to be pushing/carrying my bike more often than during the spring/summer/fall. What is important to me is facing challenges with a good attitude. Riding bicycles in the forest can't always be hero dirt and freshly bermed corners.

I liked the the positive attitude to exploring on a bicycle that was communicated in the video. Even when that meant pushing/carrying bicycles. I'm pretty amazed how fast people fold when faced with unexpected challenges on their bikes. I saw so many posts last winter on the local MTB group about trails being unrideable and lamenting having to wait weeks for the snow to melt. Usually I had been out having a blast on my bike in forest that very day, but ya snow riding is different challenge than typical and ya sometimes you have to walk your bike 5 mins past a drifted section.

People like my GF can't comfortably ride drops so it's either flat/riser/Alt bars or no riding. So I am not surprised by a few flat bar rigs in the mix at that race. The cynical part of me figures once drop bar gravel bikes have achieved max market penetration and sales slow the bike industry will change lanes and decide flat bar/ATB style bikes are the One True Path for gravel...for a couple years until they are not.

Really it is about the challenge and adventure now more than anything. Funny you mentioned people tap out when faced with a wee bit of challenge. Local board member of our local mtb club is great when riding the well manicured singletrack of the local trails maintained by the club. Yet when it becomes minimal maintenance trails that are slower, require more thought, and *gasp* navigation skills he whines about it.  Well of course your going to be miserable if you go every where expecting golf course level manicured singletrack. Though on the plus side that challenge keeps the majority away which is a good thing because to be honest some spots I ride it is more about you shouldn't be riding there unless have the gear and knowledge  it is really backcountry riding and help isn't exactly readily available. 

Also the good attitude you speak of when taking on the challenges to me is being aware that things can go wrong and know when to pull the plug and try it another day. If you don't have a good attitude it will be a miserable day overall plus can increase the chances of a bad decision.  Case in point....second attempt to get to Gun Mtn near Barry's Bay and had to wait a full year to try it again.  

https://teamnfiracing.wixsite.com/website/post/bagging-gun-peak-sept-10th-2020

Speaking of challenging HAB check this guys challenges in Italy...

https://www.instagram.com/marcobassot/

Sept. 26, 2022, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

has essentially ignored anything the bike industry pumped out since then. He tends to apply the same approach to clothing and hair style, much to frustration of my mom. When asked about it, he always answers "it will come back in fashion at some point" 😄

Come back into fashion you say? Hmm the return Enduro Bro Posterior Waist Satchel aka waist pack comes to mind.

Sept. 26, 2022, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

has essentially ignored anything the bike industry pumped out since then. He tends to apply the same approach to clothing and hair style, much to frustration of my mom. When asked about it, he always answers "it will come back in fashion at some point" 😄

Come back into fashion you say? Hmm the return Enduro Bro Posterior Waist Satchel aka waist pack comes to mind.

Arse Purse? Bum Luggage?

Sept. 26, 2022, 8:02 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Yes, I’ve also found the knobs handy when brakes were not performing properly. A set of Codes that wouldn’t hold their bleed come to mind, a bent lever scenario as well.

———

I’ll also agree with Andrew’s statement about Shimano needing to copy someone else’s homework. When you get a bad one…wow. Gross. Maybe they don’t need each model in three different colours/pricepoints? I mean, if they just used the SLX lever on the Deore brake would it make both cheaper (for them) by deleting a few distinct part numbers? It’s like that Philips head screw for the contact adjust on XT brakes - can the blank on the SLX really be that much cheaper? I think we’d all be better off if they just made a Saint four piston, XTR two piston, and then some non-servo wave brakes for their budget lines.

Last edited by: Blofeld on Sept. 27, 2022, 12:40 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 27, 2022, 8:48 a.m.

Vik - Thanks for the link. I there was a lot of MEATy friendly stuff in there. I get front deraillers altho they're not for me. I love the retroness of it and focusing on the experience rather than the speed. We seem to have lost the original spirit of mtb.

Edit - I think it time to dig out the rigid forks for the Krampus.  I've never tried flat pedals on rigid so may give it a go.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Sept. 27, 2022, 11:33 a.m., edited 2 times in total.