MEATengines 2022...

Aug. 17, 2022, 3:05 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Andrew, agree with the culture and cost thing preventing others getting into riding. Debated this for a while but I am going to share a story about a newcomer to mtb...

This is a fantastic story, my family deals with mental health every day and it is often overlooked. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by: Bikeryder85 on Aug. 17, 2022, 3:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 17, 2022, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: Bikeryder85

@AM

I may have to look into putting in a request for a frame...I guess I never thought of asking (worst they can do is say no I guess)...I'll have to check on the tire clearance, her bike has 20"x "2.6" but I have never measured to see if that is accurate, lol. I just know the tread is more like a kenda small block so not suited for the wet...it was supposed to have a different tire setup...but alas, COVID supply issues changed that to some unknown Chinese brand...

I'll stop by the shop and see if they can get a DHF in 20"...thanks for that!

Cheers, hopefully, your local can find you a pair. I know quite a few shops had them on their bookings this year but also that some shops are impervious to recognizing the effort a lot of parents are putting into getting their kids on the trails.

Aug. 18, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: snowsnake

The combination of trails in town where I live in Alaska are incredible on a hardtail - basically the only reason I own a full-sus is for long distance backcountry stuff. Lots of folks around here just squish their way around the XC trails on long travel enduros, and there’s definitely a bit of stigma towards hardtails. The bike I’ve spent the largest portion of my riding career on was a Trek Marlin 7, which admittedly isn’t the most capable hardtail, but was plenty for me to ride (almost) everything I wanted to around here. One of the only negative experiences riding a MTB that’s stuck with me is a couple years ago someone I know saw me out riding on that bike and literally told me to “get a real bike”, which has only spurred me on to ride harder on my hardtail. My full-sus has been down for maintenance for a bit now, and I’ve been really enjoying the hardtail-only life again - though an interesting discovery I’ve made is that I much prefer the ride feel of aluminum 27.5+ wheels to carbon 29ers without rear suspension to add some give.

Anchorage perhaps? I made a trip out there last summer to visit a friend and stole his girlfriend's bike for a day, rode from his apartment near Westchester Lagoon all the way down the paved Coastal Trail to Kincaid Park and we tried to ride as much of those genuinely fun undulating "cross country" trails as we could, and all the way back on paved trail...

...and I was on her 150mm travel Norco Sight and my buddy on his 170mm Trek Slash. That was pretty par for the course it seemed, only saw two hardtail riders all day, one on a hardcore HT and one on an XC bike. My buddie's been trying to convince me to make the move up there and I think I could maybe justify getting rid of my big squishy enduro bike and just having my Kona Woo with a winter fatbike wheel and rigid fork setup and summer 29er+ and suspension fork setup. Super jealous of the moisture y'all get in the summer, and the lighted trails in the winter seem like one of the best way to get some reprieve from cabin fever, but my buddy does complain a lot about how fucking cold his rides to work are in the winter, but he claims it's still better than driving during that part of the year.

Best part of that ride may have been the entertainment provided by all the tourists on rental hybrid e-bikes on the coastal trail, zig zaggin with each pedal stroke, pushing the bike up a hill, or being unaware of a giant moose blocking the trail. My pal gave that lady a good fright when he told her to stop and that if she went any further she would most definitely get gored by Alaska's most agressive land animal.

Aug. 18, 2022, 4:05 p.m.

Andrew mentioned being interested in frame bags, but wanting to be able to grab any bike and go. These Onsight Straddle Bags swap from bike to bike faster than you can grab & put on a pack. Hold enough to be useful and I've used one on my FS bike and enduro'd the $hit out of it with no issues. I know the aesthetic will make some people's eyes bled. Once mounted I didn't notice it while riding.

https://www.onsightequipment.com/product/varico-straddle-bag/

Aug. 19, 2022, 10:07 a.m.

You got it right, Thad! Anchorage born and raised. I reckon you’d do alright with that Woo here, and I’d be happy to have more hardtail buddies if you have any interest :)

Coastal trail shenanigans are always quite the thing, especially on sunny weekend days! Lots of tourists do not consider how preposterously stupid moose are - they scare me quite a bit more than bears. 

Vik, my solution for on-bike storage lately has been a revelate Shrew bag. Super easy to swap between bikes, though I may need a new solution for the long dropper on my new bike.

Aug. 20, 2022, 12:40 a.m.

Perspective - Great piece Andrew. There's nothing like riding the wrong* bike.

*wrong being defined as a bike that is not what the typical mtb media would advise you to ride. HTs / SS / rigid definitely fall into the wrong bike category.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Aug. 20, 2022, 10:51 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 20, 2022, 10:46 a.m.

Vik - The Ergotecs polish up quite nicely... 

Aug. 21, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

So classic looking! Might have to steal this idea.

Aug. 21, 2022, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: cheapondirt

So classic looking! Might have to steal this idea.

I think I stole it from Radavist - thinknit was the yellow Sklar Klunker.

Just get out the sand paper and metal polish and go for it.

Aug. 21, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

Specifically, though, with an ergotec bar for that affordable price + nice sweep.

I've been eyeing up the Hunter Smooth Move but haven't wanted to spend $125usd on a handlebar (though I'm sure it's worth it). This is the budget version!

Aug. 21, 2022, 4:07 p.m.

Nice work. :-)

Aug. 21, 2022, 11:15 p.m.

Specifically, though, with an ergotec bar for that affordable price + nice sweep.

I've been eyeing up the Hunter Smooth Move but haven't wanted to spend $125usd on a handlebar (though I'm sure it's worth it). This is the budget version!

Definitely the budget version of the Hunter.

Aug. 22, 2022, 8:14 a.m.

"we all know that how we dress to mountain bike is a form of performance art and a full-face doesn't fit with everyone's chosen character."

Brilliant. We are no different than the Harley dress-up gang, except our costumes tend to be more breathable.

I love rhe Invader despite its funky looks. The one thing is - and I suspect you might address this - it's a trail helmet, not DH rated, but it's so nice to wear that I end up risk-taking it by wearing it to the bike park. That's the one factor that will have me thinking carefully when it's time to replace mine.

So I just noticed this review went live today. I think I highlighted the fact it’s a trail helmet well, but I’d be interested in that specifically.

Also, aside from the review factor, I am trying to encourage folks to consider wearing a chin bar without coming across as ‘preachy’ so hoping the balance there is good.

Aug. 22, 2022, 4:32 p.m.

That’s NICE. 

Long live polished mountain bike parts!

Aug. 22, 2022, 6:09 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

That’s NICE. 

Long live polished mountain bike parts!

And long live purple ano...