MEATengines 2022...

Aug. 10, 2022, 7:37 p.m.

"It's been abused and needs some love."

Much like a lot of us I imagine.

Great writing as always Andrew :)

Aug. 10, 2022, 9:23 p.m.

Andrew your latest piece reminded me of the garage at my parents home, one night we were wondering at our 3, 6'x1' shelves of grease, oil, cleaning products etc. for bikes and cars alike. A proper shitload of stuff just to keep these machines running.

I was going to say how I've since downsized, but as I was listing these things out I realized I've kept most of them but put them into smaller containers... Anyway. Mostly stick to my Mobile 1 red grease for everything. I used to even use engine oil religiously for chains... but I've embraced my petrochemical shelf and have become slightly less of a "lube is lube" guy.

Last edited by: silverbansheebike on Aug. 10, 2022, 9:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 11, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: taprider

Received this message on the weekend

Harald the painter at Toxic Design Lab suffered a fire last night that gutted his shop and he is in hospital with burns on his arms trying to fight the fire

Rumour confirmed. Harald posted he’s still hoping to get back in and that somethings are salvageable.

It’s been a tough run for Harald. More when I know more.

Friend shared some photos of the Toxic Design lab post fire. looks like a bunch of stuff is salvagable.

Aug. 13, 2022, 8:41 a.m.

"It's a bit funny to me how few folks in Cumberland are riding hardtails (and they all seem to be visiting). The trails here are PERFECT for a fixed back end.

It's a bit funny to me how few folks in Cumberland are riding hardtails"

Couldn't agree more AM. I spent a week there last summer getting to know my new hardtail. I wasn't sure I was bringing the right bike, but it turned out to be the ideal choice. I don't think I would have had as much fun on the fully, and was glad I left it at home.

Aug. 13, 2022, 9:06 a.m.

1. Most people only have one mountain bike, FS bikes are the reasonable choice for an only bike. 

2. The close and easy Cumberland trails are very different than the further steeper ones.

Lack of hardtails at Cumberland makes sense to me🤷🏼‍♂️

Aug. 13, 2022, 9:18 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

1. Most people only have one mountain bike, FS bikes are the reasonable choice for an only bike. 

2. The close and easy Cumberland trails are very different than the further steeper ones.

Lack of hardtails at Cumberland makes sense to me🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ll say three things in backing up my assessment.

1) I don’t think there’s a trail in Cumberland - at least on the map - I haven’t ridden on my rigid bike at some point in the last decade and I’m nothing special in the bike handling department. Hardtail with good rubber is going to get it done for most folk if they give it a chance. 

2) Ride whatever you want. It was an observation that I’m surprised I didn’t see more hardtails not that I’m surprised that everyone isn’t riding hardtails or think everyone should ride one.

3) In the body of my piece I clearly accept for the fact that many riders are making it happen with one bike and their rig may be optimized for other trails.

Aug. 13, 2022, 10:13 a.m.

I agree with your assessments, aside from the lack of hardtails being surprising.

Aug. 13, 2022, 1:49 p.m.

Andrew, your Meat engines post about running thumb shifters reversed? Spotted this today on my Youtube feed from a couple of days ago.

https://youtu.be/EfLQpdfkw8s

Aug. 13, 2022, 6:19 p.m.

It's not like people in Cumby or most places are seriously considering hardtails in the current MTB landscape. So they didn't decide that's not what they want or that they wouldn't cut it for their riding...the idea just never came up. 

So far I haven't been motivated to pull out the FS bike in 2022 in Cumby. I have seen other hardtail riders here, but it's certainly not very common.

Aug. 14, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

I agree with your assessments, aside from the lack of hardtails being surprising.

Thank you. I’ve been chortling to myself about this comment since I saw it.

I guess I’m also surprised that I’m surprised.

Posted by: Vikb

It's not like people in Cumby or most places are seriously considering hardtails in the current MTB landscape. So they didn't decide that's not what they want or that they wouldn't cut it for their riding...the idea just never came up.

I guess it’s back to the fact that outside of the UK and Chromag’s Whistler-based sphere of influence, hardtails are mainly for beginners and weirdos?

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Aug. 14, 2022, 8:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 14, 2022, 8:51 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Andrew, your Meat engines post about running thumb shifters reversed? Spotted this today on my Youtube feed from a couple of days ago.

I’m an old reader-type and not one for YouTube mountain bike videos (reviews or how-tos). 

But just to clarify, I definitely didn’t invent the idea of flipping Thumbies upside down and left to right. OFA (Old Fart Andy) is the first instance I can remember of someone talking about doing it, many years ago when I had just started playing with Thumbies on my MTB, but I’m sure he wasn’t claiming to have invented the idea either. 

I do think everyone should try friction shifting on their modern multi-speed mountain bike (above or below the bar). It’s a cheap way to really change up the riding experience.

Aug. 14, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Thank you. I’ve been chortling to myself about this comment since I saw it.

I guess I’m also surprised that I’m surprised.

Posted by: Vikb

I guess it’s back to the fact that outside of the UK and Chromag’s Whistler-based sphere of influence, hardtails are mainly for beginners and weirdos?

Hardtails are fine in cumberland, but there is an argument for FS depending on what you like to ride. We have some tech handcut trails that I far prefer on my hardtail but the other half of the riding is hardpack flow trails that are fast and can be choppy. Most new mtb riders seem to prefer flow trails and despite the name, flow trails when ridden at speed are really rough. Newer riders would not enjoy riding flow trails on a hardtail, IMO.

Cumberland has more true blue trails than anywhere else in BC, which means there are a lot of new riders of all levels. It is very accessible for new riders compared to most other places in BC.  It seems like the average rider in Cumberland has been riding MTB for 5 years or less. The only new riders buying hardtails these days are the ones that don't have $ for FS. Hardtails aren't for beginners anymore; they are for beginners who lack the funds for FS. In cumberland where there are a lot of new riders, riding a lot of flow trails, FS is probably the bike I would choose too if I were them.

I do agree that hardtails are mainly for weirdos - seems to be the common thread and I include myself under that banner.

Aug. 14, 2022, 11:43 a.m.

"I do agree that hardtails are mainly for weirdos - seems to be the common thread and I include myself under that banner."

Agreed. Sign me up for the weirdo club.

Aug. 14, 2022, 11:49 a.m.

"Hardtails aren't for beginners anymore; they are for beginners who lack the funds for FS. "

For sure, but there's another user group at the other end of the spectrum. The people I see buying modern HTs are all very experienced riders looking for a bike that offers a different riding experience to compliment their full-sus rigs.

Aug. 14, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

For sure, but there's another user group at the other end of the spectrum. The people I see buying modern HTs are all very experienced riders looking for a bike that offers a different riding experience to compliment their full-sus rigs.

I would absolutely agree with this.  They are for experienced riders who want to challenge themselves.