MEATengines 2022...

Aug. 4, 2022, 5:29 p.m.

In 2019 while visiting BC got to borrow a currently not in production Nice Dreams.

Having never ridden a fat bike before was interesting experience. No clue if it is a path would go down bike wise in future. But the ride time did help me give plus size tires on the Wideangle later that year.

Aug. 4, 2022, 5:53 p.m.

Back when I lived on the other side of the Rockies in YYC I spent a good chunk of every winter in the desert down in Baja and the rest of the time having as much fun in the snow as I could. For what it's worth I'll take the desert or the coastal rain forest over a real winter any time! That said I can have fun anywhere with the right gear. My fatbike geo seems pretty silly now, but at the time it seemed reasonable and I wasn't going to let it stop me from ripping around in the snow or the sand.

I also learned some valuable lessons about packing light on bikepacking trips with my fatty! ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 4, 2022, 5:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 4, 2022, 7:54 p.m.

This is some excellent fatbike content for August! 

I was a big fan of the Nice Dreams back in the day - pity they never made an XL. The 2014 geometry looks better than many a 2022 model!

Aug. 4, 2022, 8:12 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

I was a big fan of the Nice Dreams back in the day - pity they never made an XL. The 2014 geometry looks better than many a 2022 model!

To be honest other than the huge ass tires couldn't tell the difference between it and the very early edition Wideangle was riding for a few moths prior to the trip for family.

If your on IG look up Michael Fassbender aka Republic of Doom and Scullbinder Ranch. Follower of the Roman Dial school of dumb things one can do on fatbikes.

Aug. 4, 2022, 8:33 p.m.

Hahahaha. Right? It gets hot and everyone is thinking riding in snow sounds pretty good. Can always take a layer off if you get hot when it's below zero°c. 

Nice Dreams and Arcturian both. Clearly bikes for the custom sphere rather than the semi-custom or MCAN/MUSA production sphere? 

Posted by: Vikb

I also learned some valuable lessons about packing light on bikepacking trips with my fatty! ;-)

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's awesome.

Aug. 4, 2022, 8:47 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Best shot I have! I had to get an XL because the reach is short on these things, and then cut the seat tube down and re-notch to I have enough height for my dropper and my kid's MacRide clamp. Pretty fun bike - we have a long winter so if I didn't have something like this, I'd be forced into I don't know what?! XC skis or something? Since then I also put some 4 piston XT brakes on so I can go back to 160mm rotors - keeping the admittedly undersize rotors dry and away from the snow is better to me than larger ones that howl a lot. And the Wolf Tooth pogies have been incredible too. The rear tire is a 4" Dillinger (seasonally) so with the front being a 5" it's almost like a mullet in terms of the difference in diameter. 

After 7 years fatbiking I am starting to learn the little tricks to make them work and be fun.

Sweet Shot! Thank you. 

Posted by: Vikb

I was a bit sad when I moved to the island realized there wasn't much use for a fatty here. After a couple years of trying to justify the garage space I ended up selling them both. I can't see myself moving back to a location with a real winter so I'm likely fat-free for life. That won't stop me from geeking out on other people's fine fatbikes though. :-)

No, you can't appreciate the types of bicycles you don't actually ride? That's insane. HAHAHA. I love, love, love beautifully put-together single-speeds/fixies (preferably with brakes). I can't justify owning one but if I lived somewhere flat(ter) I'd have such a sweet custom rig. Mine would freewheel. 

In my experience there is so much traction volatility when fatbiking on snow and ice your speed needs to be capped. This does let a 69* HA work in some cases. As for 450mm reaches on XLs, I don’t know what to say…I suppose it’s a good way to move some 100mm stems.

I laughed when the Scott Big Jon started showing up as a 2021 model year in some shops. I’m pretty sure it was identical to the 2017 (latest model on the Scott website) except with an NX Eagle drivetrain. I hope the tires didn’t dry out in storage!

Good point about the Blizzard. Rocky is often “liberal” with their geometry tables, but it does look like they made something decent there.

My bike’s a Waltworks…I guess I don’t retain credit for posting about it on Disqus, do I?

Appreciate you re-sharing it! 

But... I mean, if it's not in Walt's signature Cosmic Lilac is it really a Waltworks?! HAHAHA. Did you see Walt painted his person FS bike? Totally made my week when I saw it. 

Posts are here and here.

I think he should make that his base colour and charge 5% more for anything else. Get enough of them out there and it's like Yeti Turquoise or Bianchi Celeste right?!

HAHAHAHA

Aug. 5, 2022, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Hahahaha. Right? It gets hot and everyone is thinking riding in snow sounds pretty good. Can always take a layer off if you get hot when it's below zero°c. 

Nice Dreams and Arcturian both. Clearly bikes for the custom sphere rather than the semi-custom or MCAN/MUSA production sphere? 

Andrew, had thought of an Arcturian at some point. But if I ever go the route of something like that in the future or a fat bike frame like the Nice Dreams probably consider copying the geometry and get built by Marino.

Aug. 5, 2022, 8:19 p.m.

But... I mean, if it's not in Walt's signature Cosmic Lilac is it really a Waltworks?! HAHAHA. Did you see Walt painted his person FS bike? Totally made my week when I saw it. 

This is awesome! I tell you what - on the next set of revisions for our Waltworks’ I’ll go Lilac and you get his signature 170mm headtube installed!

Aug. 6, 2022, 8:46 a.m.

Hahaha. I could maybe run a 170mm with a flat bar and no headset spacers. I’ll measure it out and we may have a deal!

Aug. 6, 2022, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Andrew, had thought of an Arcturian at some point. But if I ever go the route of something like that in the future or a fat bike frame like the Nice Dreams probably consider copying the geometry and get built by Marino.

I’ve heard enough good and okay and less okay Marino stories I now always encourage folks to ask a handful of current owners about their experiences before pulling the trigger whenever the brand comes up.

When you’re playing with your budget, expectations, how much help you’d like with sorting geo, long term value (amortize your life), etc. there are an endless number of variables to balance. There are a lot of small MNA builders that won’t win your custom business on initial purchase price but may win it on attention to detail, feedback, personality, communication, and the personal touch in making your bike yours. Anyway, cheaper is not necessarily synonymous with better value especially with an object you plan to have forever.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Aug. 6, 2022, 9:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 6, 2022, 11:21 a.m.

I’ve heard enough good and okay and less okay Marino stories I now always encourage folks to ask a handful of current owners about their experiences before pulling the trigger whenever the brand comes up.

When you’re playing with your budget, expectations, how much help you’d like with sorting geo, long term value (amortize your life), etc. there are an endless number of variables to balance. There are a lot of small MNA builders that won’t win your custom business on initial purchase price but may win it on attention to detail, feedback, personality, communication, and the personal touch in making your bike yours. Anyway, cheaper is not necessarily synonymous with better value especially with an object you plan to have forever.

True.  Reality is with the Wideangle  can run plus size in winter and so far all I really need. And can use the plus size wheels during the rest of the year if I want to which have done. So while I do at times think of a Chromag arcturian or fatbike it really isn't high on the list of bikes. Can do lots with the two I have.  Though might be looking at tinkering with wheels for the two Chromags I have later this year once am healed and more mobile.

Aug. 6, 2022, 3:27 p.m.

True.  Reality is with the Wideangle  can run plus size in winter and so far all I really need. And can use the plus size wheels during the rest of the year if I want to which have done. So while I do at times think of a Chromag arcturian or fatbike it really isn't high on the list of bikes. Can do lots with the two I have.  Though might be looking at tinkering with wheels for the two Chromags I have later this year once am healed and more mobile.

D’oh! Practicality winning out is always disappointing! I had thoughts of a Waltly or Merino as well but figured I’d have to buy two to get it right. 

The RSD Sergeant (with an angleset) is an interesting production plus option - if you’re good with 455mm as a max chainstay length. With a Merino you could really go venti to differentiate it from your Chromags.

Aug. 7, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

D’oh! Practicality winning out is always disappointing! I had thoughts of a Waltly or Merino as well but figured I’d have to buy two to get it right. 

The RSD Sergeant (with an angleset) is an interesting production plus option - if you’re good with 455mm as a max chainstay length. With a Merino you could really go venti to differentiate it from your Chromags.

LOL practicality and a financial realist. Also keep in mind the Stylus as a complete bike in 2020 was the first complete bike had bought since 1998. And prior to March 2019 was on a 2007 Chromag Samurai rding the clydesdale cat in the half marathon series and was doing ok despite the antiquated 26" wheelset. LOL The looks on the faces of those riding 29ers on the newest and shiniest models then along comes the retro grouch cruising by on the tech sections.LOL

Love the prototype Wideangle frame got in 2019. Even though it was geared around the newer wheels size didn't notice any difference after got it built and rode it. 

Think it was 2016 that someone I knew had a set of 27.5 wheels loaned me to try an experiment and worked on the 2007 Samurai.  So off an on ran a set of 27.5x2.25 wheels no problem. Well till the Samurai was turned to basement gym art.

Boredom recently gave me a couple of ideas might consider trying wheel wise though.

Aug. 8, 2022, 1:27 a.m.

LOL practicality and a financial realist. Also keep in mind the Stylus as a complete bike in 2020 was the first complete bike had bought since 1998. And prior to March 2019 was on a 2007 Chromag Samurai rding the clydesdale cat in the half marathon series and was doing ok despite the antiquated 26" wheelset. LOL The looks on the faces of those riding 29ers on the newest and shiniest models then along comes the retro grouch cruising by on the tech sections.LOL

Love the prototype Wideangle frame got in 2019. Even though it was geared around the newer wheels size didn't notice any difference after got it built and rode it. 

Think it was 2016 that someone I knew had a set of 27.5 wheels loaned me to try an experiment and worked on the 2007 Samurai.  So off an on ran a set of 27.5x2.25 wheels no problem. Well till the Samurai was turned to basement gym art.

Boredom recently gave me a couple of ideas might consider trying wheel wise though.

Out of interest why did you go with the Wideangle over the Stylus?  Also was 27.5 a height based consideration or wheel sized based?

Aug. 8, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Think it was 2016 that someone I knew had a set of 27.5 wheels loaned me to try an experiment and worked on the 2007 Samurai. So off an on ran a set of 27.5x2.25 wheels no problem. Well till the Samurai was turned to basement gym art.

Out of interest why did you go with the Wideangle over the Stylus? Also was 27.5 a height based consideration or wheel sized based?

Sorry if a bit all over the place..

Actually have both and kinda wasn't a one or the other scenario. Details are...March 2019 taken out by hit and run driver...maimed and Samurai destroyed. Local MTB trails organization do trail work for while was a mess that first week quietly had started doing a few things. All had to that point was a phone call to check if ok and needed anything at that moment. Somewhere in there was asked about the bike destroyed and so on. Thought nothing of it. About 2 weeks later get a call while hanging out at the gym as they had something to drop off . Well two of them showed up with a box from Chromag which had a early prototype Wideangle frame and some parts to get something started. Wideangle came about because simply the right people where around and had been involved with.

My Stylus is the destroyed replacement for the Samurai. Had the earlier 2007 model before that was stolen. So having the Wideangle kinda more rigged towards xc and such as well as having been wanting to replace the original went for the Stylus. Something a bit more gravity and guess what we call now days enduro. Plus it is kinda nice having two bikes set up a bit more differently. And two different years of chromag frame geometry definitely makes both the Wideangle and Stylus different bikes which like.

Though I believe in the last few months have been favouring riding the Wideangle because of the Stylus head tube and bar height in 2020 are lower then all the bikes had or have. And that has been causing issues around areas injured in 2019 so of course riding it a bit less. Have the solution which is swap out bars to another bar with even higher rise.

To be honest will not be parting with the Wideangle as like it alot in it's own way. Guess like it alot because thanks to a bunch of people it came to me after a bad day at someone else's hands. And that fortunate bunch of connections had gave me something that helped me be occupied and once built helped with things.

Though any riding or bike work is on hold while healing from surgery.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Aug. 8, 2022, 8:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.