MEATengines 2022...

July 15, 2022, 4:01 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I carry one of these when I'm on solo rides. Never had to use it yet thankfully.

neat

This is why I pay for Strava and track every ride on it.  My missus gets a message and can follow my ride.  If I don't come home she knows where to send the ambulance.

I also have my drivers licence under my clear phone bumper with ICE phone number (missus mobile) written on it.

July 15, 2022, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: skooks

I'm about to go through this myself. Hard OTB this morning, which rarely seems to happen to me (yeah for new school geometry). Sore ankle and wrist but I shook it off and kept riding. Felt reasonable good, but 15 minutes later I stepped off the bike and something went 'snap'. I landed in a heap and couldn't bare any weight on my ankle.  I clearly couldn't walk, but a combination of crawling, carrying, and piggy backing got me back to the top of the trail where I coasted back to the road on my my bike.  This was definitely faster than waiting for NSR.

Spent most of the day in emergency and it turned out to be a fractured fibula. So happy to hear this, as I thought I had pulled a Mandrew and snapped a tendon. 🙃

6 weeks off the bike is going to be hard to handle, but it could have been worse. I actually slammed my head pretty hard but the FF helmet did its job and no concussion symptoms at all.  The emergency doc didn't even ask about this, which suprised me.

Biggest take away was how important your friends are when things go bad .

Healing vibes Skooks, makes mine sound minor in comparison as I'm backing the bike a week later (school drop-off and commute into town).  I even manages a little home yoga session last night.

Thanks FM! Same to you.

July 15, 2022, 9:33 a.m.

Hey fellow MEATheads,

Any of you dual-squish riding folks have any experience with the OPT/DROPT remote for the Cane Creek Inline shocks? The concept really appeals to me, but I’m having a hard time plunking down another $100 and adding a cable for it given how little information I’ve been able to find.

July 15, 2022, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: snowsnake

Hey fellow MEATheads,

Any of you dual-squish riding folks have any experience with the OPT/DROPT remote for the Cane Creek Inline shocks? The concept really appeals to me, but I’m having a hard time plunking down another $100 and adding a cable for it given how little information I’ve been able to find.

I've always been of the mind that I wanted a FS bike that worked great without touching the shock. So I haven't bothered with a remote.

July 15, 2022, 10:31 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Hey fellow MEATheads,

I've always been of the mind that I wanted a FS bike that worked great without touching the shock. So I haven't bothered with a remote.

It's an interesting one, because a few manufacturing members of Team All-The-Anti-Squat have arguably gone so far now that their bikes feel like the shock is on CLIMB mode all the time - up and down.

The one thing I'd say is that I used my climb switch regularly with a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS but I never use it with the Inline and that's on the same bike. For longer and especially more technical climbs I love the CCDB CS because it retards both the compression and rebound circuit so the bike pedals in a pocket of sorts but it still delivers all the traction. With the Inline the Climb Switch is just affecting the compression circuit so it rides more like everyone else's platform. That is to say, I'll use it on the road but on the trail, I never touch it.

It's sort of funny to me because, again same suspension platform, I really like the Inline (Air) climbing and descending and don't miss platform adjustment at all.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on July 15, 2022, 10:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: thaaad

I do have one on both my hydration waist pack and backpack, but what if you really fuck yourself up and you can't reach / get to it?

I totally went down this road today too. I think I need a little whistle stuff-pocket on my shoulder strap. Doesn't have to be weatherproof or anything, just to keep it from bouncing about.

Same thought process that lead to my HMPL cellphone pocket (which is weatherproof).

Also a version they make that is part of the sternum strap fastex buckle.

July 15, 2022, 12:54 p.m.

Totally true on that first point (looking at you YT izzo)

Good to know on the In-line. Anybody who’s actually used the remote seems to not be fond of it, so I’ll save myself the expense and a cable. Stoked to try a new shock, and to sooth my OCD that hates the idea of mixing Fox and RS suspension on the same bike.

July 15, 2022, 1:53 p.m.

Hey fellow MEATheads,

I'm a set and forget kinda guy. I run coils both ends and newer touch the knobs when riding - I just get used to how they move and live with ot.

Last edited by: fartymarty on July 15, 2022, 1:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2022, 11:54 p.m.

This looks interesting https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/product/590907-s-ride-cassette-7sp-13-42t-cs-e500-6766?category=735

July 16, 2022, 6:58 a.m.

Got one last month twinned with a zee mech and a thumb shifter on my Rootdown. It’s good and makes for a useable, cheap and sturdy drivetrain. If was going to really splash out I’d set it up with an Archer D1x system but it’s hard to balance against a $30 thumb shifter. 

S-Ride are ex SRAM employees and branched out to make their own.

July 16, 2022, 7:16 a.m.

On the OTP, I have one on my short travel bike that I ride on the road a lot to link up the local trails and it does a good job of eliminating pedal bob as I run my shock fairly open. On the trail I'll sometimes engage it about 60% to stabilize the bike on a fireroad climb also. BTW, I'm a reformed XC geek so take it for what it's worth.

"With the Inline the Climb Switch is just affecting the compression circuit"  According to Cane Creek the climb switch works on both compression and rebound.

Last edited by: joseph-crabtree on July 16, 2022, 7:23 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 16, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

Posted by: joseph-crabtree

"With the Inline the Climb Switch is just affecting the compression circuit"  According to Cane Creek the climb switch works on both compression and rebound.

They feel very different on the trail (multiple examples of each) and the architecture of the systems is very different as well, but I’ll confirm the accuracy of my statement.

July 16, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

From CC's website DBAir IL page, 

When engaged, the low-speed damping is changed via a set of internal “climbing circuits.” We tune these circuits specifically for the demands of off-road climbing to achieve improved pedal efficiency with less chassis motion. Unlike other climbing platforms, our CS feature adjusts both low-speed compression and rebound. 

I have a Kitsuma on my LT bike and it does feel different on climb mode, a bit more usable in tech climbing and the firm mode is very firm.

July 16, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Got one last month twinned with a zee mech and a thumb shifter on my Rootdown. It’s good and makes for a useable, cheap and sturdy drivetrain. If was going to really splash out I’d set it up with an Archer D1x system but it’s hard to balance against a $30 thumb shifter. 

S-Ride are ex SRAM employees and branched out to make their own.

Good to know, will keep it on my radar.

July 17, 2022, 11:11 a.m.

I've stopped using my climb switch on my CCDB Air, because I've twice now necessitated service by leaving it on. Luckily for me, it is fine enough to climb without.

Andrew, you're starting to sell me on the rigid enduro thing... +sized tires or not, seems like something that would be really fun to try. Do you see this becoming a thing that bigger brands will take on? or in other words, how long until I can expect to see one come up in my circle and get to try it out?!