MEATengines 2022...

June 29, 2022, 10:30 a.m.

I could have sworn this was a mountain bike forum not equestrian forum. I'm confused, why would it matter with bikes? In case anyone is wondering, with horses you always mount/dismount from the left side. Doing so from the right can spook the horse because they're not used to it.

June 29, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

It’s based on avoiding getting a chainring tattoo on your leg by always using the left side.

June 29, 2022, 6:08 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

It’s based on avoiding getting a chainring tattoo on your leg by always using the left side.

Since I went to 1x I find this less likely under all dismount circumstances.

Since moving to flats after years on clips, I find that's what gets me. And it is always on my right shin/calf because I'll take my right foot off first.

June 29, 2022, 11:43 p.m.

Posted by: Wangchung

have you ever tried to mount/dismount from the right side?

damn, its hard. why does it have to be so hard?

It's like riding with your wrong foot forward. With practice it doesn't feel so weird.

I'm going to try mounting/dismounting from the wrong side as it's probably good for you.

Edit - mounting and dismounting from the right didn't feel too bad.

Last edited by: fartymarty on July 3, 2022, 6:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 2, 2022, 9:07 p.m.

Those custom calipers are glorious. I'm absolutely gauche enough to run one colour at each end (FS has red rims with orange R and purple F hubs), but given the option would certainly mix it up.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

July 2, 2022, 10:17 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Those custom calipers are glorious. I'm absolutely gauche enough to run one colour at each end (FS has red rims with orange R and purple F hubs), but given the option would certainly mix it up.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

It’s funny because the rims on that bike are totally mis-matched and I didn’t even de-decal them. 

But yeah, custom for the sake of custom is fun!

July 3, 2022, 2:09 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It’s funny because the rims on that bike are totally mis-matched and I didn’t even de-decal them. 

I've come across the idea that rims should be mis-matched, with a pair the same either the front is heavier than required, or the rear is weaker.

July 3, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I've come across the idea that rims should be mis-matched, with a pair the same either the front is heavier than required, or the rear is weaker.

That’s how I setup the KOM rims I reviewed. Same i40 width but the Light up from and Tough in the rear.

Once I switched to running inserts the Light all around would probably be fine. CushCore does two things beside improve damping and protect rims (and run flat - three things… and generate money for shops because folks don’t chill out and follow the instructions - four things… and occasionally drive shops insane because a 27” DH Tire on a tight fitting Carbon rim with a Pro insert can suck to assemble - five things…)

Anyway, the two other important things CC (Pro or Plus) inserts do is to equalize carbon and aluminum rims - 1) dents aren’t a concern anymore and 2) the weight different becomes a much smaller % saved for the investment. Basically, you stop worrying about rolling weight or thinking about saving 50-grams a rim through mix-matching.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on July 3, 2022, 8:34 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 3, 2022, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: kcy4130

I could have sworn this was a mountain bike forum not equestrian forum. I'm confused, why would it matter with bikes? In case anyone is wondering, with horses you always mount/dismount from the left side. Doing so from the right can spook the horse because they're not used to it.

Which is based on when people wore long blades on their left sides.

July 4, 2022, 12:49 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: kcy4130

Which is based on when people wore long blades on their left sides.

and most people (90%) are right handed therefore swinging the right leg over is more natural.

July 6, 2022, 11 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: Wangchung

have you ever tried to mount/dismount from the right side?

damn, its hard. why does it have to be so hard?

It's like riding with your wrong foot forward. With practice it doesn't feel so weird.

I'm going to try mounting/dismounting from the wrong side as it's probably good for you.

Edit - mounting and dismounting from the right didn't feel too bad.

It is something that can be useful on certain trails where if you try to remount the way your used to doing it the trail makes it harder because your standing lower then the bike. So unless you want to push the bike for a while the easier way is other side where the bike is lower now.

July 7, 2022, 7:13 p.m.

This seems like it would fit here. Dave Nice races the 2745 mile Tour Divide on a fixie.  

https://www.cyclingutah.com/racing/mountain-bike-racing/33-days-14-hours-and-4-minutes-racing-the-tour-divide-on-a-fixed-gear-mountain-bike/

July 8, 2022, 4:09 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

This seems like it would fit here. Dave Nice races the 2745 mile Tour Divide on a fixie.  

https://www.cyclingutah.com/racing/mountain-bike-racing/33-days-14-hours-and-4-minutes-racing-the-tour-divide-on-a-fixed-gear-mountain-bike/

I remember his first few attempts, I didn't know that he successfully completed it.

Crazy that he was on a fixie.  Last time I rode a fixie, I busted/lost a few teeth!

July 9, 2022, 12:11 p.m.

Andrew- are you thinking of doing a MEAT or NSMB article on injury and recover and the physical and mental process?

July 9, 2022, 4:46 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Andrew- are you thinking of doing a MEAT or NSMB article on injury and recover and the physical and mental process?

Have you hurt yourself?