MEATengines 2022...

June 7, 2022, 8:54 a.m.

Thanks for finding that! That's got a fascinating article on the causes

June 7, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

That rust must logically exist under that paint on a decent number of steel bikes. Just can’t see it … I mean if moisture is creeping under clear coat it can get under paint too.

Under regular paint there will be an etch primer that etches into the metal to create stronger adhesion to prevent rust. The clear coats don't have the ability to adhere as well and are more brittle.

June 7, 2022, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

That rust must logically exist under that paint on a decent number of steel bikes. Just can’t see it … I mean if moisture is creeping under clear coat it can get under paint too.

Under regular paint there will be an etch primer that etches into the metal to create stronger adhesion to prevent rust. The clear coats don't have the ability to adhere as well and are more brittle.

Thanks!

June 7, 2022, 11:02 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Discovered this recently when planning to keep the front of my hardtail raw. 

Got some etch primer and chose a colour instead.

June 9, 2022, 10:43 a.m.

About a frankenbike

Thought I'd finally get around to sharing my rendition of a frankenbike... the term to me means more parts-bin mashup than artistic representation of what I like about bikes (though, i guess in some ways it's the same thing), but as the article reads, the definition varies. Heres my former 27" wheeled Norco Monterey. Complete with early 2000's rustoleum steel blue paint job (favourite color, was saving the can for a special project), parts bin road wheels (campy and mavic, rear triangle bent open accordingly), deore MTB derailleur, deore MTB brake levers with adjustable cable pull, easton 50mm riser bars, parts bin saddle and spd pedals with flats added. Been looking for a thumby shifter lately, actually. Nothing special, but makes for a good c*mmuter...

Last edited by: silverbansheebike on June 9, 2022, 10:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 9, 2022, 3:04 p.m.

Ride What You Sell

"If you forced me to choose between using them and bleeding up a pair of awful Hayes cable-actuated-hydraulic calipers, that haven't been worked on since 1997, I'd take the Hayes without a second thought."

I can't make sense of this opening sentence. Am I daft, or is there something missing there?

June 9, 2022, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Ride What You Sell

"If you forced me to choose between using them and bleeding up a pair of awful Hayes cable-actuated-hydraulic calipers, that haven't been worked on since 1997, I'd take the Hayes without a second thought."

I can't make sense of this opening sentence. Am I daft, or is there something missing there?

Oh good, I thought it was just me being bewildered. 

Andrew, clarification?

June 9, 2022, 5:16 p.m.

Thanks. It was originally just a rant I was going to delete - I do this fairly often - but I liked it and left it up. I went in to clean up the opening, so hopefully, it makes more sense now. I didn't want to mention the product(s) by name but suffice it to say my desire to write about budget hardtails is damped by how many bikes this year come with hydraulic brakes that simply shouldn't exist (never mind on premium brands). 

I think costs have gone up so much in the last couple of years, and the spec on these bikes is so tight, that bike companies have had to decide between really jacking up their entry price point for a hardtail with hydraulic disc brakes and a clutch derailleur or finding crap to hang on them that looks the part.

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike

June 9, 2022, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

About a frankenbike

Thought I'd finally get around to sharing my rendition of a frankenbike... the term to me means more parts-bin mashup than artistic representation of what I like about bikes (though, i guess in some ways it's the same thing), but as the article reads, the definition varies. Heres my former 27" wheeled Norco Monterey. Complete with early 2000's rustoleum steel blue paint job (favourite color, was saving the can for a special project), parts bin road wheels (campy and mavic, rear triangle bent open accordingly), deore MTB derailleur, deore MTB brake levers with adjustable cable pull, easton 50mm riser bars, parts bin saddle and spd pedals with flats added. Been looking for a thumby shifter lately, actually. Nothing special, but makes for a good c*mmuter...

Cool rig! Did you just paint straight over the old finish or did you sand it first?

You don't mention in your brief here why you're offending the road bike gods by putting your QR levers on the front side. Just going counter-culture for the sake of it? Not bothered personally, but I know folks who'd be twitching if they say this.

June 9, 2022, 7:06 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Cool rig! Did you just paint straight over the old finish or did you sand it first?

You don't mention in your brief here why you're offending the road bike gods by putting your QR levers on the front side. Just going counter-culture for the sake of it? Not bothered personally, but I know folks who'd be twitching if they say this.

Thanks! Sanded the old paint, cleaned it well, used an etch primer, then the rusto, then light sanding and a clear. Has held up pretty well!

hahahaha! As if the long cage derailleur wasn't enough of an offense! I never imagined being called out for lever placement on more than one bike... I promise it is not negligence here, though, I like having all of the "stuff" on the stuff-side of the bike.

June 9, 2022, 9:24 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Ride What You Sell

Hmm... I figured it meant..

Worthless piece of shit made by the lowest fucking bidder.

June 10, 2022, 12:40 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Thanks. It was originally just a rant I was going to delete - I do this fairly often - but I liked it and left it up. I went in to clean up the opening, so hopefully, it makes more sense now. I didn't want to mention the product(s) by name but suffice it to say my desire to write about budget hardtails is damped by how many bikes this year come with hydraulic brakes that simply shouldn't exist (never mind on premium brands). 

I think costs have gone up so much in the last couple of years, and the spec on these bikes is so tight, that bike companies have had to decide between really jacking up their entry price point for a hardtail with hydraulic disc brakes and a clutch derailleur or finding crap to hang on them that looks the part.

Cheers, it makes sense now.

June 10, 2022, 5:12 a.m.

~15 years ago I was of the opinion that below a certain price mechanical disc brakes like the BB7 was a much better option than low end hydraulic brakes. Then entry level hydraulic brakes started to be decent. Have we gone full circle? I have BB7 on my dj and an old hardtail and find them just fine. If hand strength is sufficient you can get decent stopping power out of them.

June 10, 2022, 7:21 a.m.

Heck, I've still got a BB7 on the back of a tandem, and it's fine for the riding I do (and the team size, etc etc etc).

June 10, 2022, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: nothingfuture

Heck, I've still got a BB7 on the back of a tandem, and it's fine for the riding I do (and the team size, etc etc etc).

I may have a set of BB7s in a bin somewhere. For the right kind of bike I totally wouldn't mind running them. Looking at Jenson the retail price for just a BB7 caliper currently is $62-90USD without a lever. So It seems like you could get a full hydro setup for a lot less. I guess the question is what level of hydro brake is equivalent in performance to a BB7?