MEATengines 2022...

May 16, 2022, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: khai

>> Green electrical tape or if you want to be fancy green vinyl from a sign shop can cover any damage at low $/hassle with some close colour match or contrasting accent options as desired.

I've never been arsed to do it myself but understand that nail polish is really good for small paint touch ups like this.  Comes in a billion colours, is cheap, and once you clear over it should last a good long time - but is pretty easy to remove when fresh if the colour doesn't quite match.

I've used nail polish in the past as well. It works in areas tape/vinyl wouldn't.

May 16, 2022, 10:54 a.m.

A wife and two daughters means that I can get a nail varnish colour match for my bikes in seconds. Metallic thru to matte finishes!

May 16, 2022, 3:36 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It’s actually a 28t (updated) I forgot that we had switched from a 26t round to a 28t Oval (Wolf Tooth only does the 64BCD 28t in an oval).

With it being an oval there’s a high and low point.

The BlackSpire Grannie God just covers the high point of the oval.

I have a round NSB 28t/64 and a round WolfTooth 26t/64 as well. Even with direct mount ring cranks I always have the urge to take the weight hit for a spider + bashguard and I think this is a great way to do it.

Would also like to see WolfTooth do a version of the CAMO Bash with a smaller bash.

Ace! Thanks.

May 17, 2022, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

It’s actually a 28t (updated) I forgot that we had switched from a 26t round to a 28t Oval (Wolf Tooth only does the 64BCD 28t in an oval).

With it being an oval there’s a high and low point.

The BlackSpire Grannie God just covers the high point of the oval.

I have a round NSB 28t/64 and a round WolfTooth 26t/64 as well. Even with direct mount ring cranks I always have the urge to take the weight hit for a spider + bashguard and I think this is a great way to do it.

Would also like to see WolfTooth do a version of the CAMO Bash with a smaller bash.

Ace! Thanks.

Geez man. Are you using Crisco as a chain lubricant?

May 17, 2022, 9:03 a.m.

Meh, just needs a wipe down. I only clean the chain with a clean dry rag.

May 22, 2022, 5:27 a.m.

Frankenbikes.... I would like think my Murmur qualifies. Lots of oddities but in my mind it all makes sense.

I quite like the term and the idea altho I don't think it's for everyone. I couldn't see myself ever walking into a shop and buying something off the shelf and think most following the thread will be  the same.

Frankenbikers unite.

Last edited by: fartymarty on May 22, 2022, 5:30 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
May 22, 2022, 7:57 a.m.

A lot of my frankenbike-ishness comes from buying quality bike components and taking care of them. Some of what's hanging off a frame today is because of a decision I made 5-10 years ago. Brakes that keep on braking. Cranks that keep on cranking. Wheels that keep on rolling. Etc.. Etc.. Etc.. The rest is largely due to getting of the crazy train that is today MTB marketing hype. When the new 13 speed Kashima coated AXS drivetrain and electronic suspension/dropper integrated system is "reviewed" simultaneously on every MTB media site and IG feed my brain says "nope!" Instead I've got a pile of parts that could use a new home so the frame only options catch my attention. 

Occasionally a complete bike gets the nod, like my GG Smash, because the parts kit is both sufficiently close to what I'd like that there will be little waste/hassle from take offs and the overall cost is attractive. At the time the mid-range GG build was decent and they'd swap in different parts if you asked them. Kind of the best of both worlds. Then there are other bikes like a Surly complete I helped my friend put together where I looked at most of the parts coming out of the box and thought "Junk! That needs to go!" I've owned quite a few Surly frames, but never bought a complete.

May 22, 2022, 8:06 a.m.

@Marty, I think you hit the nail there in that it’s even more deliberate than a min-maxed bike. Min-maxing can be straight down to budget or a game of maxing performance/$.

There’s a certain degree of being eclectic/eccentric for the sake of being eclectic/eccentric (and owning it.

———

It occurs to me there should be a single word that should mean a combination of eclectic and eccentric (and maybe erratic too) but I can’t come up with a ‘real’ one.

Eclecticcentric?

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on May 22, 2022, 11:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2022, 8:14 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

A lot of my frankenbike-ishness comes from buying quality bike components and taking care of them. Some of what's hanging off a frame today is because of a decision I made 5-10 years ago.

There’s a second factor there - which you allude too - that is being okay with parts not matching (which is also an easy identifier of frankenbikes - and maybe where min-maxing and frankenbiking can’t be separated).

If you crack a rim that has been out of production for five years do you replace one or both? Does it have to be the same brand (peel those decals?), same width, same colour, same material.

If you trash one of your Schwalbe tires, the local shop only has Maxxis, and you want to ride do you buy a single or a pair?

If you trash one of your NX crank arms and only a GX replacement is available do you buy a single mod-matched arm or a set?

May 22, 2022, 10:12 a.m.

I peel all my rims (and stickers generally including my forks) therefore am happy to run a Blunt with a Flow EX or 511 (I've got all 3).

Tyres I've generally stuck to brands but only have WTB and Maxxis atm.

Last edited by: fartymarty on May 22, 2022, 10:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2022, 10:16 a.m.

It occurs to me there should be a single word that should mean a combination of eclectic and eccentric (and maybe erratic too) but I can’t come up with a ‘real’ one.

Eclecticcentric?

Frankenclectic??? This is definitely Ravavist territory.

For me it's form follows function and it's nice if there is a story (or solid reason) behind a part.

Last edited by: fartymarty on May 22, 2022, 11:54 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 22, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

I’ll mix and match almost anything but some sort of aesthetic line gets crossed by mixing sidewall colours. I generally rotate tires but I ain’t mixing skinwalls and black walls on the same bike. 

Skinwalls + purple + polished looks so good that I don’t mind the fact that there’s a mint Butcher wasting away in the corner.

May 22, 2022, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I’ll mix and match almost anything but some sort of aesthetic line gets crossed by mixing sidewall colours. I generally rotate tires but I ain’t mixing skinwalls and black walls on the same bike. 

Skinwalls + purple + polished looks so good that I don’t mind the fact that there’s a mint Butcher wasting away in the corner.

HAHAHA. I just imagined the collective reaction of NSMB readers if a bike showed up on the main page with one skinwall and one black wall tire. Especially if the image was a super crisp full-art shot by The Dentizt. The site might crash?!

Going to add that to my to-do list for sure.

May 22, 2022, 11:51 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Frankenclectic??? Thus is definitely Ravavist territory.

For me it's form follows function and it's nice if there is a story (or solid reason) behind a part.

An aside, but I've had a few folks comment lately that I'm in 'Radavist Territory' with some of the stuff I've been doing and as a generalization it doesn't make any sense to me. I read and enjoy the Radavist and there are lots of interesting machines that they showcase but they're all perfectly coordinated with matching anodizing, tire patches, rims, spokes - everything. Hell, if there are two water bottles on a frame they will both be identical and colour coordinated. They're the kind of bikes that need to be (and are) photographed with the tire valves oriented exactly the same way (never mind mismatched rims or tires).

They're eccentric but I wouldn't call them eclectic. At their best they're beautifully thought out modern takes on classic bicycle experiences/aesthetics and at their worst they are like buying new jeans with the holes already in them - but they're rarely well-used jeans that have been patched with an assortment of fabrics that were on hand.

This is cool, but I don't think it's a frankenbike:

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on May 22, 2022, 11:54 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 22, 2022, 5 p.m.

I agree. To me:

Frankenbike does not mean colour coordinating valve stem lock rings, even if it’s a weird niche bike.

Frankenbike does mean “fuck it I will drill another hole so it pivots differently” component choices.