MEATengines 2022...

May 14, 2022, 2:07 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: snowsnake

I just replaced one of those two weeks ago and it’s already gone. Sigh.

First, you have to:

)

And then you have to:

)

And I'm not saying what's-what but this is a very common, well-known, issue so in the location that I was previously wrenching out of we were doing this to every new bike on the floor. The fact SRAM doesn't Loctite from the factory (which I believe they originally did) isn't great, but I think the fact that shops aren't fixing the problem as part of their bike builds is worse.

I have one or two of those which I found on the trail. Also have a small collection of various damper knobs and levers, a Speedplay road cleat aero cover thingy, pedal body. And once a single brake pad. Every now and then someone will post something about trying to find some bit they lost that the shops don’t have and I do. Feels nice to give to someone in need. But not that brake pad.

May 14, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

In a mad scientist manner, what governs the difference in cassette cog sizes that a derailleur can step between, if the largest radius is not past the maximum that the cage can move to/from. I'm taking cues from the standard sizing of the 10-52 cog step sizes here

Distance of the Guide pulley to the cog in a given position. This is why SRAM derailleurs have significantly more leeway than Shimano Shadow (watch the derailleur geometry as it moves through cogs). 

B-Tension screw gives you some ability to move the Guide pulley out of the way but not enough to build something like the ‘Wide 5’ setup Marty and I are always going on about.

May 14, 2022, 5:02 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I have one or two of those which I found on the trail. Also have a small collection of various damper knobs and levers, a Speedplay road cleat aero cover thingy, pedal body. And once a single brake pad. Every now and then someone will post something about trying to find some bit they lost that the shops don’t have and I do. Feels nice to give to someone in need. But not that brake pad.

Wouldn’t you love to know the brake pad’s story though?! 

I’ve found a couple mandatory pieces of frame hardware on the No Quarter climb (some brands really need to consider reverse threads for suspension linkage hardware). It always makes me wonder when/how the part was discovered to be missing.

Bolt checks! Every ride!

May 15, 2022, 11:52 a.m.

I'm not generally a fan of green bikes, but that ^^^ is pretty nice.

May 15, 2022, 2:46 p.m.

B-Tension screw gives you some ability to move the Guide pulley out of the way but not enough to build something like the ‘Wide 5’ setup Marty and I are always going on about.

The closest I can find is the rivendell wide range 7 speed (thanks for that, Nothingfuture), but the postage is brutal from the US; so a Sunrace 8 speed + altus is close as well and quite available.
But in reality I think I'd be happy with 3 in the rear that I would just change by hand to keep it cheap.....42, 24, 12 possibly but I doubt I'd really want a 12 as I enjoy trying to keep my speed though a given trail using pumping and corner speed and my 24 is fun enough. If I was going to go boutique/hand built I'd really like to see how well that Archer D1x could handle arbitrary shift gaps.

Last edited by: DanL on May 15, 2022, 2:48 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2022, 3 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Can we get a picture of the chainring from the non-drive side? It says 26t but looks like a 30t from this angle. 

I'm just interested in the 64/104BCD options. Cheers!

May 15, 2022, 6:26 p.m.

Loctite has an expiration date. I recently tried to an old bottle of red to take care of an issue with a two-piece axle that should have been a one-piece, and discovered that the loctite wouldn't harden. I ordered fresh bottles from McMaster who have them in stock with recent manufacturing dates, and they ship almost instantly. I order the small bottles and have started replacing them at the expiration date, printed on the bottle. 

For DUB bottom brackets -- while I want to like them, I just can't. I've had several DUB bb's come through the shop where the spindle was worn away under the bearing sleeve, 180-degrees apart right to left, from the plastic spacer rubbing on the spindle. In wet/dirty environments (Vermont here) the dirt ends up under the spacer and wears away the spindle material, leading to creaks and (eventually) replacement. My theory is that the deflection of the plastic under momentary pedaling load is followed by an unloaded period, where any moisture (and dirt) get sucked into the very tiny gap between the spindle and spacer as the crank revolves. The next pedal stroke then presses that dirt into the spindle, wearing it away.  I had a collection going of worn DUB spindles, but I've been cutting up the spindles for other purposes in the shop. (custom press spacers in pivot links mostly). 

The exception to the wear has been CaneCreek Hellbender bottom brackets, which replace the plastic spacer with 29mm ID bearings. These - so far - seem to avoid the spindle wear issue. There might be others that avoid the issue, but so far I've only dealt with the CC. 

I suppose they're better than GXP, maybe?

That extraction cap falls out all the time though. It's a bit annoying that the cap/washer don't seem to be available without the bolt too. There's some caps available on Amazon from some knockoff company, but I can't install them at my shop in good conscience. They might be 6061 Aluminum, they might be melted down PBR cans - just not worth the risk.

May 15, 2022, 6:51 p.m.

Posted by: benfour

Loctite has an expiration date. I recently tried to an old bottle of red to take care of an issue with a two-piece axle that should have been a one-piece, and discovered that the loctite wouldn't harden. I ordered fresh bottles from McMaster who have them in stock with recent manufacturing dates, and they ship almost instantly. I order the small bottles and have started replacing them at the expiration date, printed on the bottle. 

For DUB bottom brackets -- while I want to like them, I just can't. I've had several DUB bb's come through the shop where the spindle was worn away under the bearing sleeve, 180-degrees apart right to left, from the plastic spacer rubbing on the spindle. In wet/dirty environments (Vermont here) the dirt ends up under the spacer and wears away the spindle material, leading to creaks and (eventually) replacement. My theory is that the deflection of the plastic under momentary pedaling load is followed by an unloaded period, where any moisture (and dirt) get sucked into the very tiny gap between the spindle and spacer as the crank revolves. The next pedal stroke then presses that dirt into the spindle, wearing it away.  I had a collection going of worn DUB spindles, but I've been cutting up the spindles for other purposes in the shop. (custom press spacers in pivot links mostly). 

The exception to the wear has been CaneCreek Hellbender bottom brackets, which replace the plastic spacer with 29mm ID bearings. These - so far - seem to avoid the spindle wear issue. There might be others that avoid the issue, but so far I've only dealt with the CC. 

I suppose they're better than GXP, maybe?

That extraction cap falls out all the time though. It's a bit annoying that the cap/washer don't seem to be available without the bolt too. There's some caps available on Amazon from some knockoff company, but I can't install them at my shop in good conscience. They might be 6061 Aluminum, they might be melted down PBR cans - just not worth the risk.

Ah yes the infamous plastic in the BB area. Also done by Shimano and Race Face with the X-Type and that plastic top hat cap thing. As a former machinist turned bike mechanic commented designed to fail.

May 15, 2022, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Can we get a picture of the chainring from the non-drive side? It says 26t but looks like a 30t from this angle.

I'm just interested in the 64/104BCD options. Cheers!

It’s actually a 28t (updated) I forgot that we had switched from a 26t round to a 28t Oval (Wolf Tooth only does the 64BCD 28t in an oval).

With it being an oval there’s a high and low point.

The BlackSpire Grannie God just covers the high point of the oval.

I have a round NSB 28t/64 and a round WolfTooth 26t/64 as well. Even with direct mount ring cranks I always have the urge to take the weight hit for a spider + bashguard and I think this is a great way to do it.

Would also like to see WolfTooth do a version of the CAMO Bash with a smaller bash.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on May 15, 2022, 7:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2022, 7:14 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Ah yes the infamous plastic in the BB area. Also done by Shimano and Race Face with the X-Type and that plastic top hat cap thing. As a former machinist turned bike mechanic commented designed to fail.

Don’t confuse issues with manufacturing and issues with materials. Chris King BBs use plastic spacers between the spindle and bearing sans issue. I have a couple that are around 15 years old including the one in my wife’s Walt which spend years on my single speed first.

One advantage of the plastic sleeve is that you avoid corrosion between the different alloy compositions of the bearing race and spindle. Particularly if we’re talking 30mm with the aluminum spindle and steel bearing race. I’ve seen some ugly ones.

———

My single speed currently has a CaneCreek Hellbender BB installed; it’s a nice piece for folks looking for a genuinely nice bottom bracket that will last a long time. Not cheap but I’d say it’s a good value.

For a 30mm BB though nothing spins as nice out of the box as an FSA BB and they last reasonably long as well. Those have the spindle right on the bearing race as well.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on May 15, 2022, 7:15 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 15, 2022, 10:58 p.m.

Would also like to see WolfTooth do a version of the CAMO Bash with a smaller bash.

While we are on wishes I wish there were more stainless narrow wide chainrings.  I'm running Wolftooths on both bikes and they look brand new 1200 miles in.

May 16, 2022, 6:08 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

While we are on wishes I wish there were more stainless narrow wide chainrings.  I'm running Wolftooths on both bikes and they look brand new 1200 miles in.

My Wolf Tooth stainless CAMO rings have been incredible. I do wish they did a 28t Oval (they do a 28t round) but it may be the CAMO BCD can’t take it. They used to have some more direct-mount stainless options, I’m sure?! 

But weight.

May 16, 2022, 7 a.m.

Green’s not my colour either, but this was an absolute hit for the intended party. Toxik does sweet work.

Claire picked the shades (and also picked the pink/purple for V1) so she’s quite pleased with the result as well. Win-win. 

My wife doesn’t appreciate the evidence of crashes quite the way I do, so I imagine some day it’ll get a refresh (or at least a partial respray).

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on May 16, 2022, 7:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 16, 2022, 7:28 a.m.

My wife doesn’t appreciate the evidence of crashes quite the way I do, so I imagine some day it’ll get a refresh (or at least a partial respray).

Green electrical tape or if you want to be fancy green vinyl from a sign shop can cover any damage at low $/hassle with some close colour match or contrasting accent options as desired.

May 16, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

>> Green electrical tape or if you want to be fancy green vinyl from a sign shop can cover any damage at low $/hassle with some close colour match or contrasting accent options as desired.

I've never been arsed to do it myself but understand that nail polish is really good for small paint touch ups like this.  Comes in a billion colours, is cheap, and once you clear over it should last a good long time - but is pretty easy to remove when fresh if the colour doesn't quite match.