MEATengines 2022...

April 29, 2022, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

If you want to run a thumbie under the bars you can use either of these guys. 

https://www.rivbike.com/products/kjalgjoihjga44451

https://www.rivbike.com/products/sunrace-one-at-a-time-thumb-shifter-right-side

Steam punk in modern mtb would be a pair of them under the bars, mod the left one to operate your dropper. Why not just a regular dropper remote? Because symmetry matters.  

Someone needs to hack up a way to get an 11-48 9spd, just enough range and the jumps won't be too bad.

Seriously looking back to 2020 if had known about these existing would have got these and run it on the Stylus.  Because seriously been running a plain old Deore thumbie on the Wideangle and really hasn't bothered me. Maybe it would bother some if was racing. Will be considering those shifters for later though.

April 29, 2022, 8:20 p.m.

Posted by: joseph-crabtree

Back when I was using XC Pro group (90's) on my bike I wrecked the rear derailleur and all I could find was Shimano for a replacement. I spent a lot of time playing with different cable setups and the only thing that seemed to work was making a custom spacing on cassette with a few different thickness's of spacers. The setup I have on the commuter is all XC Pro including the rear hub and cassette and is still works great.

Ya up to 7-speed Suntour had variable cog spacing, 8-speed is even and basically equivalent to Shimano 8.

I wonder about cable pull personally - my temptation with thumbies is for an thumb shifter, clutch derailleur (Shimano preferably) and 8 or 9-speed 11/12-46/48 cassette.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with MEATengines anymore so sorry for that OP.

Last edited by: tashi on April 29, 2022, 8:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 29, 2022, 9:02 p.m.

No Boring Bikes.

I think you’re still on topic. Pics when I have it all setup but the new FS rig is 8spd 11-36t with a 28t ring. Friction Thumbie / Zee Clutch derailleur. Almost what you’re looking for minus the pie plate.

April 30, 2022, 7:09 a.m.

I know it's not entirely apples to apples, but Rivendell posted these 7 speed HG compatible cassettes in either 13-34 or 13-42 (though it looks like they're out of stock at the moment): https://www.rivbike.com/products/cassettes-7?variant=40803234087023

Seems like a potentially useful thing.

April 30, 2022, 7:48 a.m.

Those look like the perfect accompaniment to an Archer D1x setup I’ve been thinking about (not apples to apples for friction shifting either hah)

April 30, 2022, 8:14 a.m.

Definitely not gearing nerd worthy, but I am lazy and stick to some readily available indexed setups without any tinkering.

• Shimano Zee 10 speed 11-36T
  • Shimano 11 speed 11-42/46T

You can have a complete drivetrain for the same or less than a fancy 12 speed cassette. Zee is robust and low profile. 36T seems big when you are used to a 21T SS cog and the cassette is nice and light for lower unsprung weight. 11 speed gives you the bigger granny cogs at a higher cost/weight.

April 30, 2022, 8:20 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: joseph-crabtree

Back when I was using XC Pro group (90's) on my bike I wrecked the rear derailleur and all I could find was Shimano for a replacement. I spent a lot of time playing with different cable setups and the only thing that seemed to work was making a custom spacing on cassette with a few different thickness's of spacers. The setup I have on the commuter is all XC Pro including the rear hub and cassette and is still works great.

Ya up to 7-speed Suntour had variable cog spacing, 8-speed is even and basically equivalent to Shimano 8.

I wonder about cable pull personally - my temptation with thumbies is for an thumb shifter, clutch derailleur (Shimano preferably) and 8 or 9-speed 11/12-46/48 cassette.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with MEATengines anymore so sorry for that OP.

I did experiment with various cable anchor attachment points to change the pull ratio without much luck. As you said, the 7sp had some funky spacing most likely having to do with the derailleur geometry.

Shimano compatible thumbies such as https://www.microshift.com/models/sl-t09/ is your best bet if you want reliable indexing. 

These are a nice friction option,  https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/product/56020-ird-power-ratchet-thumb-shifter-set-3885?search=shifter

April 30, 2022, 8:53 p.m.

Finally a sunny day today.  Try to get a photo tomorrow after cleaning up drivetrain.  Shimano Deore Thumbie with a Shimano XTR-M980 derrailleur in back. The XTR was recently fixed.

May 1, 2022, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: nothingfuture

I know it's not entirely apples to apples, but Rivendell posted these 7 speed HG compatible cassettes in either 13-34 or 13-42 (though it looks like they're out of stock at the moment): https://www.rivbike.com/products/cassettes-7?variant=40803234087023

Seems like a potentially useful thing.

$50 for an 13-42 is cheap.  I'm paying £60 for a 11-42 4100.

May 3, 2022, 4:47 a.m.

Looking at the company that makes those cassettes (S-Ride? apparently they used to make SRAM's cassettes or whatever), they do a HG 12 speed 11-46, which is something I've been dreaming about. I've got GX 10-52 right now, and I have never, ever shifted into the 52. So if I'm going to have 12 speed, I might as well have gears I use on a semi-regular basis.

May 3, 2022, 8:40 a.m.

Dragging up the old Clips v Flats debate...

I rode Bike Park Wales yesterday and started the day on flats and switched to clips at lunch time.  Neither held me back but clips felt a lot faster and I had more control - less heels down and more over the front of the bike.

Sorry... I know this is a flats only thread.  Also I was on my 140/140 bouncy bike but I don't think I could have ride some of the trails on a HT.

May 3, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

If I was going to shuttle or ride bikepark regularly I could see myself riding clipless again. Since that's extremely unlikely and I already have the #FLATS4life tattoo I'll stay with pins and sticky rubber. ;-)

May 3, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

I'm on clips for everything except my pump track bike. Aggressive hard tail riding, 160/150 suspension bike (trail/enduro), and full on DH bike... All clips. I bought some 510's and tried the switch about 5 years ago, and didn't like it at all. I like to be able to "cheat lift", I find that clips are less fatiguing, and I don't like trying to shift my feet back into the ideal position when they've gone astray.

May 3, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

I didn’t know this what’s a flats forward community? Most single speeders I know clip-in and it’s definitely faster up and down.

I know a few riders who run flats sometimes on their sag-wagon but always clip-in on their hardtail to keep their feet on the pedals through janky terrain. 

My switch to flats exclusively is based in psychology not performance. It’s more fun, and part of the reason it’s more fun is it’s more casual. Just like riding a rigid fork or hardtail or etc - choosing not to use the fastest / highest performance option opens up a root system of different thinking.

May 3, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

Andrew, I just read "How To F' Things Up For Your Shop & Customers (In One Easy Step)" and it made me laugh but also a bit sad.

If anything it shows what social media addiction is doing. People just can't resist posting their emotions. My annual fork service ended up taking 5 weeks instead of 1 day because it turned out a part needed to be warrantied by Fox and there were delays and communication issues. I can assure you I vented my frustration privately but not towards the people who were just trying to do their best doing their job and certainly not for the entire world to see on social media (which I don't use at all).