MEATengines 2022...

April 17, 2022, 7:11 p.m.

^thanks

I didn't see that you adjust for angle adjust headset at the bottom

Last edited by: taprider on April 17, 2022, 7:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 18, 2022, 1:08 a.m.

Tap - as you have figured out it's not as simple as plugging in an angle set and reaping the rewards.  It varies bike to bike and rider to rider.  I have a -2 in my OG Krampus which changes the rigid (fork) HA from a very steep 69.5 to a reasonable 67.5.  Add on a 120mm bouncy fork and I think it ends up st about 66.  I've been using the angleset for about 5 years now.  I started with a 20mm rise bar slammed and now run a 70mm rise bar (still slammed as steerer is too short).  My riding position has adjusted over the years to where I ride more on the front.  Similar story with my Murmur - I've been lifting the bars as my body position has changed.

The advantage with the Krampus is the rear is 446 so plenty of space to go forward.  If you have a bike with a short CS then you are going to struggle with front weight.

April 18, 2022, 9:50 a.m.

I re covered my favorite saddles. Cut some foam padding out , added it where I wanted more support. 

Leather is not waterproof. So I covered the seat in vinyl sheet.  I used stainless screws as the original leather was stapled in place . 

I ended up with a waterproof seat that is more comfortable than it was stock.  And it looks new .

April 18, 2022, 9:37 p.m.

Any padding material recommendations/cautions?

April 19, 2022, 7:27 a.m.

"Yes dear, that asshole tried to kill me."

April 20, 2022, 7:28 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

But how did the egg end up in the glass...

April 20, 2022, 8:08 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Easter Bunny. Hid it there.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on April 20, 2022, 8:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 20, 2022, 12:05 p.m.

Would that be death by bunny...or death by chocolate....

I'll see myself out.

April 20, 2022, 12:17 p.m.

Salmonella if it was a Kinder

April 20, 2022, 8:08 p.m.

Not a forest yet, but a battery has Burned down a bike shop.

April 20, 2022, 11:16 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: fartymarty

Easter Bunny. Hid it there.

I always knew the Easter Bunny was an evil fucker.

April 21, 2022, 4:49 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Not a forest yet, but a battery has Burned down a bike shop.

Sounds like it was a home made kit.

April 21, 2022, 6:18 a.m.

High capacity battery fires are a concern for sure. Particularly in market segments where operators are not highly skilled and/or damage is reasonably likely. The BroPed/commuter e-bike markets seem ripe for these issues. It's not a sky is falling situation in the sense that lots of industries deal with hazardous/incendiary materials safely. But, as Andrew's recent MEATy word pie points out pretending there is no additional risk for a BroPed vs. a mountain bike is not going to cut it. Especially when the numbers of batteries on site grows large.

On the insurance front if you tell your insurer you sell/service bicycles and then put in a claim because a high capacity battery fire started and set off a line of BroPeds they may well balk and not pay. It's not up to the insurer to understand that 60% of your business is not actually bicycles, but electrified mopeds.

A reasonable approach would be to:

1. Tell your insurer that you are storing 20-50 [or whatever the accurate # is] high capacity batteries on site for sale and servicing. So they can assess the risk and charge you an appropriate premium. Hint it won't be as low as if you just sold mountain bikes and had 3L of flammable solvents on site.
  2. Tell your landlord if you are renting space so they understand the risk and can adjust their rental price/insurance accordingly.
  3. Assess the risk of your inventory.
  4. Determine how to store/charge/handle batteries safely. Train your staff appropriately.
  5. Determine what to do in case of a fire. Buy equipment and train staff as needed.
  6. For customer repairs determine a safe protocol to assess battery condition and how to deal with potentially damaged batteries. Possibly what to reject or store in a lower risk area with a fire suppression system. Again train your staff.

The local fire department would be a good resource for a site visit and some suggestions on how to make things safer in a business with a lot of high capacity batteries. When I worked in composite manufacturing managing the fire safety plan was one of my roles and the local fire department was very helpful. Both for the inspection end of things to identify risks and on the mitigation end of things to make key risks less likely to manifest.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 21, 2022, 6:22 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 21, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

Work has us watch a spectacular video of exploding lithium batteries annually during recurrent training. They've blown up everywhere, and subsequently burned down everything you can imagine.

April 21, 2022, 4:06 p.m.

Ordered one of them lipo fireproof bags to start using to charge our two e-bike batteries. For $40 it's cheap insurance to start using that to help contain an event.